New Epiphone Japan LQ (limited models) added...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But c'mon...they're Epiphones....
Although...I played a John Sykes model yesterday...it was the best Epi I've played yet but wasn't a patch on my LS80.

But c'mon...they're Epiphones....

That statement would take us far, I also own a very nice tokai ls-145s, so don't get me started. These guitars are the continuation of orville's guitar line, they're not just epiphones.

The john sykes model however is just another epi for me...

I love tokai's (after all I am a tokaiforum member), but don't fool youself these epi's are also great value, and rather different than regular or even elite epi's.

yes they differ in that the MIJ Epis have MIJ p`ups while the Elites have MIAs. I`ve seen the MIJ Epis up close and frankly I`d pick my Edwards over them not to mention my Tokai Les Paul Reborn. They still have the 2 Elite SGs in a local shop as well as a black MIJ Epi custom but nobody wants them over here. If they don`t move theml at the reduced prices of about $500.oo, I might be able to get em for much less during the new years sales. Got my Godin LG P-90 for $250.oo this past January at the same shop.

well I've seen a couple myself, felt nothing like elites, much less standard production, so there you go, a different opinion...

I'm not overly fond of edwards maple top contour, although they're nice guitars... Obviously tokai is my favourite brand out of them all, still I don't understand why everytime someone posts something about epi's here, they get bashed big time. Like I said, tried a couple, not so bad at all.

bruno said:
everytime someone posts something about epi's here, they get bashed big time.

I think that the Gibson connection has something to do with it. Gibson's actions against Tokai are good enough reason for me not to mention their products on this forum. Some of them are Japanese made, I don't deny that and this is nothing personal against you, Bruno, but wouldn't JapanAxe.com be better place for Gibson advertising? Maybe I'm too strict and narrow minded. :eek:

Never heard of japanaxe... I'm actually not sure Gibson aproves too much of these epi japan models either, they probably like them as much as any other copy.

Anyways regarding your question on wether that site would a better place to advertise, the answer is no... The reasons are simple. First this is the "other" section of this forum, and second I'm not advertising anything. The reason why I am not avertising anything is because I don't sell stuff.

So don't worry you're not being too strict, after all it is not your place/function to be so and obviously no offense taken Joukov, after all we've been through this before :wink:

Edit: As you already know, I own a tokai Ls-145s, and will most likely buy a ls-135 (or one of those jeff beck type beauties) from togps as soon as I can.
But just because I really like tokai, doesn't make it reason enough, not to dig other guitars out there, right?

I don`t have anything against Epiphone, it`s just that there are so many great builders in Japan that I prefer. still, I did mention that I`d buy one if they made me an offer I can`t refuse. I never bash a player for choosing a guitar...no business of mine. people should play whatever they like...thats what I do. If I cared about what folks said, I`d never have bought my Yamahas.

I'm curious about who currently makes this Epi Japan Limited line. Does anyone know?

It used to be Fuji Gen Gakki, but in another post, javelin70 tells us that "Fuji Gen have stopped producing guitars in Japan." If that's true, and javelin70 certainly seems to think so, then it can't be Fuji Gen Gakki making this Epi Japan Limited line.

BTW Fuji Gen was my favorite Japanese guitar maker of all time, going back to the excellent mid-70's Ibanez copies. So take FGG out of the picture and my interest in these Epis wanes.

orvilleowner, I don't know which factory is producing them, so can't help you there sorry, maybe someone will chime in...

sneaky, no one ought to give you a hard time about those yamahas, they're great bang for the buck guitars

In this general attitude against all things Epiphone, I wanna back up Bruno here.

After selling my strange Burny (discussed in other thread somewhere here on the forum) I recently became a happy owner of an excellent Epihone LPC, Made In Japan, with serial starting with number 8. If the known Orville history is right, my new axe is from 1998, the first year after Orville became Epiphone Japan. It is extremely nice and well-made guitar and the specs match exactly those of the new Epi LPC LQ linked above.

Here's a similar one, as an example:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...50039254941&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Anyway, I think that some people's prejudices against Epiphone because of its present-day Chinese/Indonesian/wherever-made low level standard line of mass-marketed and arguably mostly crap guitars turn to benefit to those who know better.

Having said that, I would never buy an Elite and/or Elitist model which have that butt-ugly non-Gibson style modern Epiphone headstock.

orvilleowner said:
I'm curious about who currently makes this Epi Japan Limited line. Does anyone know?

According to Gibson.jp it's Terada, they also make some Gretsch for fender... this has been discussed many time... :wink:

The Elites in Japan have the Gibson headstock as mentioned many times before.
If you think Epiphones get little respect, try Yamahas. Mine are high end models save for the 1981 SG-800 and the 1970s SG-35. Bang for the buck....what precisely does that mean anyway?

Yeah, right, so its only those Elitist-models for European/American markets that have the ugly headstock?

I have been also interested in Yamaha Studio Lords, but it's true that those, or the SGs you mention, don't have that info available about them in the web. That's obviously saying something about their popularity.

And it seem that Yamaha Studio Lords are even much harder to come by than Grecos or Burnys, nevermind Tokais which definetly dominate the Gibson-copy market here in Finland.

20th century boy, thanks for the input :wink:

Sneaky like I said before, I agree yamaha's are a great bang for the buck...

But as far as I'm concerned these Japan Epi's (not elitists/elite) are pretty cool too.

like I asked before...what does bang for the buck mean when referring to guitars? I mean, I understand it in military terms but it`s not like the Yamahas were cheap, either in quality or price. Some may say that because of their resale value they are not great values but sometimes I just have to buy a guitar because it`s too good not to.
Don`t recall saying Epiphones were no good, have said may a time that a player should play whatever they want to regardless of what others are going to say. It`s all good.

Sneaky, "bang for the buck" means you get more than expect for the price.

Regardless of what they sold for initially, right now Yamaha LPs and SL are
selling pretty cheap (I picked up a 1982 LP500 for $275 four months ago) and they hold their own against other high quality MIJs and the Gibbys of the time.

You'd be hard pressed to find a guitar of similar quality for $275 new nowadays. There are other good deals out there, to be sure, but Yamaha's are (I think) especially good. The prices haven't risen as much as Tokai's or Grecos recently, but they can be just as good.

Bill

Yamaha's, are getting cheaper, here in portugal too, and they're still very cool...

with epi I guess I kind of meant you get the guitar you pay for, maybe even get a little more than what you pay for if you compare it to a standard gibson for example...

detroitace said:
Sneaky, "bang for the buck" means you get more than expect for the price.

Regardless of what they sold for initially, right now Yamaha LPs and SL are
selling pretty cheap (I picked up a 1982 LP500 for $275 four months ago) and they hold their own against other high quality MIJs and the Gibbys of the time.

You'd be hard pressed to find a guitar of similar quality for $275 new nowadays. There are other good deals out there, to be sure, but Yamaha's are (I think) especially good. The prices haven't risen as much as Tokai's or Grecos recently, but they can be just as good.

Bill

well I`d have to agree with that then.

Back