Hi, noob here w/ Tokai LP questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frpax

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Frank and new to this forum.

I have a few questions and figured you guys would be the ones to ask.

I've been playing guitar for 20+ years, and have had many guitars over the years....Strats, LPs, etc.

I'm seriously considering buying a Tokai LP instead of a Gibson LP this time around. But I'm hesitant. Everything I've read about these guitars has been positive. But:

1. How do they really compare to their Gibson counterpart?

2. How are the Gotoh humbuckers I see in some? (My current LP has Antiquities) I could easily put in something I have on hand (genuine PAF, DiMarzio, Duncan JB, etc.)

3. How do the Love Rocks compare to the Edwards brand I'm seeing pop up here & there? I know the Edwards are made by ESP and look pretty good...

4. I really like the '60 slim neck....is there a particular version of the Tokai that I should be keeping an eye out for?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Frank.

I can only really help out a little with the first two questions, but here goes:

1) I can only compare between the quality of build on the Japanese built Tokai LC80 (Love Rock Custom) I have and the Gibson USA LP Classic I sold last year, but to my eyes they are at least equal in materials and finish. The LC80 is a solid lump of mahogany and feels every bit as good as the Gibson Classic. Not too shoddy at all for a guitar which cost half as much :D From what I've seen and heard of the Japanese built Love Rock standards, they appear to be equal to their Gibson counterparts.

2) The stock pickups in mine are superb and I have no reason to change them. I didn't like the ceramics in my Classic and ended up putting Lindy Fralin PAFs in it. The pups in the LC80 compare very favourably to those.

I have no reference to Edwards, as I've never owned one. With regard to the necks, again I can only compare the LC80 to the Gibson Classic, which has the '60s neck, and I would say there is little difference between them.

I'm sure the Love Rock Standard guys will be on here soon to give you their views on the LS series.

Cheers,

Bryn

Thanks Bryn!

Yeah I hate the ceramics in the Classic. My Classic had one of the original ceramics and a legit PAF in it. I swapped out both for the Seymour Duncan Antiquities and am very happy. Those Fralin PAFs are really nice too. Beautiful tone.

~F

Frank

I ordered a ALS 48 from Musicground in England they sell on ebay and it seems the KoreanLove Rocks they recieve and made for their market have the 60's slim neck.

Back