Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please HELP ME, wiringtrouble!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andersozzy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Please HELP ME, wiringtrouble!!!! Reply with quote

Hi

I am finished the rewire mod on my Tokai Love Rock, but when I plugg it in there is no sound not even a single noice the guitar is totaly silent. I have wire after this, and done it twice:

It?s made by GARAGERAT, hope you don?t mind me using the picture here. Here is my picture of my wiring.

What did I do wrong???? Please help me!!!!!

Anders
Sweden
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I don't do anything but basic "surgery" on my guitars.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you replace the switch as well? The mistake I keep making is that the earth and middle lugs are inverted on US switches compared to stock MIJ switches.

No sound at all usually means you've earthed something you shouldn't have.
andersozzy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank?s Paladin2019

That did the trick, I replaced the switch and wired it wrong, I just change the wires you mention and now it works!!!!

The differens in the sound is just AMAZING, this become the best sounded guitar I ever played and own . Now I shall do it on my Korean Love Rock too.

Thanks again for the help you guys.

Anders
Sweden
nickt
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Anders, I'm just about to do the same thing! I've never done it before either.
Is that a switchcraft toggle you used? I'm just trying to get my head around the contacts on it and which wire goes where!
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andersozzy wrote:
Thank?s Paladin2019

That did the trick, I replaced the switch and wired it wrong, I just change the wires you mention and now it works!!!!

No problem! I've done that at least twice now, glad to see I'm not the only one!

For anyone else attempting this, remember that tokais need the long thread switchcraft switch - the standard one won't poke through the hole enough to screw on!
nickt
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

For anyone else attempting this, remember that tokais need the long thread switchcraft switch - the standard one won't poke through the hole enough to screw on![/quote]

Oh dear, I've just discovered that very problem! I can't find reference anywhere to a long thread switch though. I got mine from WD music supplies.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickt wrote:

Oh dear, I've just discovered that very problem! I can't find reference anywhere to a long thread switch though. I got mine from WD music supplies.

This comes up so often we really need a 'sticky' thread for it! Maybe we could have a topic area devoted to tokai modifications and technical queries? Something to think about.

Back on topic - any allparts supplier should carry the switch you need. It's part number EP-0067-000
andersozzy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I got my switch from here:
http://stores.ebay.com/Rays-Custom-Shop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm
It?s a very good shop to buy from.
God luck nickt

Anders
Sweden
TSL
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These threads on wiring have been great! I have changing caps in all my guitars, and WOW! They have become SO much more dynamic, responsive, and broader in extreme highs and lows!

Today I put Hovlands in one guitar, tomorrow I put them in another. They are a bunch better than the Orange Drops, but even the Orange Drops (for a measly one dollar!!!) are light years beyond those nasty ceramic disc caps!

How did I not know about this all these years?

Thanks again guys!
declan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldnt agree more, and never thought i would say that, always thought a cap was a cap, but then a valve aint a transistor either eventhough they are meant to perform the same function.

This just leaves one simple question that i havent heard a plausable answer to yet. Why do guitar manufacturers put crappy caps in when just a few cent/pence more make a significant difference???

As some of you know im doing a (non commercial) Japan guitar reference site and intend to put a page on wiring/caps under tech tips, if anyone wants to help doing this page drop me an email or a PM.

declan
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

declan wrote:

This just leaves one simple question that i havent heard a plausable answer to yet. Why do guitar manufacturers put crappy caps in when just a few cent/pence more make a significant difference???

I've never changed the caps on their own, I've only changed them in the context of a total upgrade. However, I'm skeptical that they make much difference in tone for the same reason that guitar makers get away with using crappy ones - you don't hear the signal that passes through the tone capacitor.

A tone cap bleeds your treble away to earth as you roll back the tone control. The more you roll off, the more it bleeds away until you get to 0 and it's running at maximum capacity - bleeding as much treble as it's capable of. Since the earthed signal isn't heard, the noise etc associated with cheap crap caps doesn't enter into the tone equation.

The only real significant characteristic of a tone cap is its value and the tolerance/margin of error to which it was made.

Before anyone accuses me of thinking too technically or anything like that, please bear in mind I'm the fool who probably owns the most expensive tone caps on the forum
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Bumble Bees ... ????

Roger
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fake58.co.uk/images/Bumblebee.JPG
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Nick!!!

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: