1980 Greco Super Real EGF-850 .......... surprise

Discussion area for Greco guitars

Moderators: ned, Grecomaniac

MIJvintage
Guitar God

1980 Greco Super Real EGF-850 .......... surprise

Post by MIJvintage » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm

I've been looking around & investigating my latest MIJ, a beat to Hell 1980 Greco EGF-850.
I decided to see what's under the shielding paint, in the pups routes so, I sanded down the paint, and I found a center seam top UNDER the flame laminate :o

The laminate can be seen slightly lifting, on the treble side.

This is the only center seam maple cap I have seen under a laminate top, with the exception of several Bacchus Lesters

This puppy has been full of surprises, such as the 'double white' bobbin PU 2 pickups (seller stated Double Tricks) which sound very nice, and is turning out to be one Hell of a 'beater'

Since I have only $675 bucks into this beast, I'm thinking of steaming off the laminate, exposing the full underlying maple cap, and completely refinishing the cherry back, in nitro lacquer of course.
After all, what's 1.5 millimeters of cheesy laminate flame, when there is a REAL center seam maple cap under there? :D
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... ij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis

20 century boy
Guitar God

Post by 20 century boy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:28 am

how if you find out that there's a third top piece on one of the side after removing the laminated?
nankurunai sa!

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:36 am

Gold top anyone? :lol:
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... ij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis

luis
Guitar God

Post by luis » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:59 am

GT is a great finish,I like it,go for it.

If a 3 piece body maybe you?re able to see the seam at the end of the body(side),I trained myselt to see the pieces and after checking and checking different guitars I?ve owned or from friends it seems I?m able to see it under a bright sunlight....

japanstrat
Guitar God

Post by japanstrat » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:31 am

I think Villager said somewhere that the shielding paint was there to hide the veneer/laminate top.
It probably is a 2 piece top but it might not look that good, maybe strange grain patterns or even knots.
My Greco 1979 Super Real proudly displays it's 3 piece top.
It's all about looks really, what's the difference in sound between a 2 piece and 3 piece top, SFA.

JohnA
Guitar God

Post by JohnA » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:04 am

MIJvintage wrote:Gold top anyone? :lol:
My favourite! Keep your 'bursts Gold all the way :D