Pickup replacements?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozeshin

Reaction score
Out of curiosity,what type of pickups do you guys prefer to put into your Love Rocks as replacements?
Me?....I quite like the standard Tokai PAF's but I'd probobly go with a Duncan JB I guess.

On my Edwards I've had the SD SH-1n and the JB SH-4 - they are great sounding pups IMHO! ... but I replaced them ...

... with Kloppmann's '59. They are my absolute favourites - together with a '50s wiring and Mallory caps !! 8)

Stock Dimarzios on my Tokai '85 LS150 ... it will stay as it is! :wink:

Roger

I had the Duncan Alnico 2 pro's for years but recently replaced them with Bareknuckle Mules - a bit brighter than the APH's with more output. Stunning pickups with an excellent PAF vibe - and if you're in the UK, not much more expensive than Duncans or Dimarzios.

Mine are coil tapped with out-of-phase and all-in-series switching options. Figuring out how to do vintage-style wiring is a bit of a pain with such complex switching so I haven't bothered with it, but I do have two CTS pots (volumes) and audionote oil caps.

tudor said:
Stock Dimarzios on my Tokai '85 LS150 ... it will stay as it is! :wink:
Roger

Me too... My Tokai LS50 or 60 (as they say) '81 probably is the lowest model
But I sure love the Dimarzio PAFs sound... even though I've
not yet here it with the "TOne". I love the clarity.
I really don't know its stock or the former
owner upgraded.(most probably)

Tudor,
What does Dimarzio PAF look like?
like this one?

http://www.guitartraders.com/inventory/parts/PU_Ring_Black/pu_ring_black.htm

Thanks!!

I'll second the Seth Lovers, I just got a great deal on a set ($100 for both)and I couldn't be happier. My LS80 started out with MKII's; didn't care for those so I tried the ALnico 2 Pro's, they were all right but still not what I was after. Then I got these Seth Lovers (bridges in both positions as per the original PAF's as there was no distinction between bridge and neck in those days) and KAPOW! I found the tone I'd been after. Superb bell like tones with just enough bite to cut through but not over the top. Hard to explain but to my ears they just sound right.

Bareknuckles for certain.

To determine exactly which ones you want I'd visit the Bareknuckle forum and ask around.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/

Hi GARAGERAT,

here it is at your command (unfortunately just German language)... :-?

http://www.kloppmann-electrics.de/

Hi
rubis628,

take look at my album of the LS150 ... you'll find some close ups!! :wink:
http://ruediger-albrecht.medion-fotoalbum.de/

Roger

Hi Ozeshin,

I think the Duncan JB is a good choice for a bridge pup ...

What do you prefer in the neck position??

Roger

I replaced the ceramics in my Gibby Les Paul Classic with Lindy Fralin replica PAFs. Real nice mellow vintage sound. As yet, I have no desire or reason to change the Tokai pups in my LC80 :D

BaggyPants,

I agree, Lindy Fralin does a good job!

I've had those pups in an Epi LPC - tremendous upgrade and big sound!
But later on I've switched to Jason Lollar Imperial HBs - I still love them! 8)

Roger

I can vouch for Bare Knuckles - great service and Leosounds Pickups - Fantastic service and value

Bare Knuckles
I've got a Trilogy single coil set in my Silver Star Strat, Apache Set
in an '84 Goldstar Sound, Irish Tour single coil Neck and Middle with a
Sultan Bridge in a Fender Japan ( Probably made by Tokai) SRV Strat.

Paladin2019 - I agree with you mate.
I got a Mule Neck Humbucker with 4 coil wires off ebay and placed it in my Love Rock II. It's so clear with strong output that I now need a new bridge pickup as the H3 Gotoh sounds very muddy.

I've used Bare Knuckles rewinding service a few times and always been pleased with the service and results. I've met Tim, the owner at a few shows in London and Birmingham and he's a top bloke.

Another great guy to deal with for Pickups is Michael Pantlion at Leosounds

www.leosounds.de

I'm sending him the Bare Knuckle Mule and he will fit a nickel cover make a bridge pickup to match it. Michael has made a few custom Tele Sets for me which are hand scatter wound. I've got his MudCat set in my Bound Edged Breezysound.

The pickups from these boutique manufacturers compliment a well made guitar from quality tonewood.

tudor said:
Hi Ozeshin,

I think the Duncan JB is a good choice for a bridge pup ...

What do you prefer in the neck position??

Roger
I have an old Dimarzio SuperII from the '70's in the neck position on another guitar and it sounds great....the overtones are a bit brighter.
But the object of this post was just my curiosity as to who has changed pickups...to what and why.
I'm pretty happy with the standard pickups in mine...they're just the stock zebra PAF's I believe...but with my current setup they sound great.

My Heritage H-157 had the Seth Lovers, I found them somehow cold and very feedbacky. Replaced by David Barfuss "Duane Special" Set.

The Edwards will stay as delivered with SD-1 "PAF 59" and SD-4 Jeff Beck.

The Tokai will stay as is with the Mk. 2.

I?m still thinking about the Burny. I would not change a thing if it were original, but it already has oranges and switchcraft parts from the first owner. At the moment it sounds very similar to the Tokai.

I guess I will put some zebra David Barfuss "Bluesbreakers" in it and have a 50s wiring. The Edwards and the Tokai really rock. This one is going to be a distinctive blues guitar.

However - I?m not willing to pay more than 200 Euro per set. Sorry, some producers ask prices that make me wonder if they are Edison, Tesla and Einstein all in one.

Find David?s PUs here and have a look at the feedback:

http://stores.ebay.de/Davids-Guitar-Pickups_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

I'm another Bare Knuckle Pickups user, both my Tokai Love Rock's have a calibrated set in them, both of the "hot vintage" variety (between 8-10k neck, 10-12k bridge, Alnico V magnets), and they suit what I'm after really well.

Used to have SD 59 & JB in my main Love Rock (Bluey), but was underwhelmed by their "clinical" sound, then a local shop started to stock Bare Knuckles so I had the opportunity to try some out. Needless to say, I'm well impressed with their sound, their service and their customer support.

Hi,

I use H?ussel pickups in my Les Pauls, VinA2 neck and
Angus for the bridgeposition. Available from ACY (www.acys-lounge.de).
Those pickups catch every bit of the guitars own tone, they are very
dynamic and deliver rich overtones (if the guitar has some :wink: )

The stock pickup in my Tokai weren't that bad at all, but certainly not
nearly in the same league as the H?ussels. (I also replaced the Duncan 59
and JB in my Edwards LP Custom immediately, they sounded very compressed
and lifeless - I don't understand why so many people like them...)

Andi

BaggyPants said:
I replaced the ceramics in my Gibby Les Paul Classic with Lindy Fralin replica PAFs.

I like ceramics and heavy sounds.

I'm considering burstbuckers 1 & 2 but I want to make some recordings whith the stock mkII before.

I don't want a too bright sound, I'm looking for a classic les paul sound like in Stones' "brown sugar", but sometimes I like to get heavy sounds like with ceramics.

Do you think I'll be happy with burstbuckers 1 & 2? :D

ganzua said:
BaggyPants said:
I replaced the ceramics in my Gibby Les Paul Classic with Lindy Fralin replica PAFs.

I'm considering burstbuckers 1 & 2 but I want to make some recordings whith the stock mkII before.

I don't want a too bright sound, I'm looking for a classic les paul sound like in Stones' "brown sugar", but sometimes I like to get heavy sounds like with ceramics.

I love heavy, but I found the ceramics to be too tinny and very microphonic, because they're uncovered and not wax potted. The Fralins overdrive beautifully. Real classic Zep, Thin Lizzy etc :D

ganzua said:
BaggyPants said:

If you like ceramics.. not too bright.. with a big and fat sound.. I would recommend Seymour Duncan SH5 Custom for the bridge... like they say.. PAF on steroids!! I have one in one of my guitars and i'm very happy.. not so good on cleans (unless you split it or roll off the pot volume a little) because it's a hot pickup.. but it covers very well from almost clean to crunch and heavy metal too...

Latest posts

Back