Help me Identify this Tokai!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty hard to tell from those pics which model it is. The difference in those models is the length of tenon, laquer or poly finish and things like pots and jacks. It does look Japanese though as it has the serial number imprinted on the back of the headstock. I would ask him what the serial number was so you know the year. I had a black one almost identical to this that I believe was made of Basswood. You could ask the seller some of those questions to give you a better idea of model.

looks like it's got an ebony fretboard so it's the expensive version right? and the headstock inlay is just like that of a gibzzzon, what's up with that? ask him about these 2 thangs.

Ok, I emailed the seller and I found out that this Tokai was made in 1991. He doesnt know anything else about where it was made or any other specs however. Does the Date help ID it?

Thanks!

Dustin

Look slike this is either an LC55 or 60. There is no catologue on the main site for '91 but in 89 it was an LC55 and sometime between then and '95 it became an LC60. The '89's are mahogany and the '95's are basswood. I would say there's a good chance this is a basswood model. It looks to be a great guitar though.

i think that is one of the japanese built LC80...

im fairly sure that this is what it is...

they are true to the original gibsons in that they have a mahogany cap and back... just like the original gibson LP custom...

though the new gibsons have a maple cap just like the standards....

i would really love an LC80 myself... though i prefer the wine red finish...

Latest posts

Back