Importing from Japan vs buying in the UK - let's discuss!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schocker

Reaction score
Carried over from the previous thread:

guitarslinger
Power chords are my friend

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:30 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well - i wasn't working on ?150 being the margin.

You could nearly pick up a very tasty washburn for that....but that is the subject of another forum me thinks.

http://www.cocosound.jp/cocosound/tokai/index.html

84000 yen is approx ?400 plus vat and import duties on top is going to add what? c?100 - so the Uk price - and i believe we are the cheapest at the moment, is roughly ?70 quid out. I'm not going to start putting a value on peace of mind, but it'd have to be more in it than that for me...but that's just me. Of course there might be cheaper out there in the rest of the world?

I'm not getting in to a price thing - more that i wasn't equating c?200 with naff all money....the day ?200 aint a lot of cash is the day i quit the rat race mate.

I firmly believe that issues like the one raised by supreme - should be dealt with by the retailer. Simple as. It wouldn't matter who the distributor is so long as a shop issues refunds in an appropriate way, speaks to customers, and heck - even do crazy things like checking guitars before they go out.

This whole thing stinks and we aint all the same....i mean...EVEN Coda would have taken that guitar back!! haha - that IS a joke by the way. Industry gags allowed.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Rich-Tone-Music-Ltd

jawilluk
Sus4add11

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:09 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine in Japan checked out some prices for me a few months ago and said it seemed quite easy to get 15% off list price. So the figures would be;

Retail Y84000
Disc Y12600

Cost Y71400

Cost GBP ?350
Duty & VAT ?75

Total ?425

Difference ?154

math2014
Guitar God

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:19 pm Post subject:

jawilluk wrote:
A friend of mine in Japan checked out some prices for me a few months ago and said it seemed quite easy to get 15% off list price. So the figures would be;

Retail Y84000
Disc Y12600

Cost Y71400

Cost GBP ?350
Duty & VAT ?75

Total ?425

Difference ?154

Yes but you ommited shipping if i understand correctly and vat&duty applies to final price+shipping

TUNAFREAK
Guitar God

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:56 pm Post subject:

Supreme, they should be sending you a ES 155 for all of your pain and such. I live in the US and there is no duty or taxes of any kind. I paid a little over $1,000.00 for my LS 150 and it cost the list price minus 20% to get any Tokai through Ishibashi music of Japan. Here is the price that I paid for my ES 155 and LC 185 from Ishibashi:

Tokai ES155/VNT with hard case --- 124,000Yen =$1096.76
Tokai LC185/WR with hard case --- 148,000Yen =$1309.04

Or 592.25 GBP
706.88 GBP

I love America!

Mark

bruno
Guitar God

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:39 pm Post subject:

yes mark but do not forget you guys have to get them from japan... here in europe we have people dealing tokais who can get them cheaper... the lc185 for example

one point to our side

still hope to visit you there one day to play some blues eheh

sorry for the off topic

Schocker
Guitar God

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:44 pm Post subject:

Here is something I posted on another thread. Then I found this thread opened. As this is the more appropriate place, I've copied it here:

You know, everyone says that in the USA they don't get charged duty from orders placed through Ishibashi. I however, had the Post Man (Post Woman actually) appear at my door with guitar in hand, as well as a very official form requiring about 10% (maybe closer to 9%) on the spot for customs in order to hand me said instrument.

I had considered this possible, as it was an inexpensive guitar (FR-53) I happily (if dissapointedly) paid the fee.

Now my guitar went through customs in Chicago, and the people who say they don't pay seem to be on the coasts, so maybe one office or the other(s) has different guidelines (though it's a Federal reg, and should be the same). I would order again from Ishibashi, and found thier service to be tops. They sent me hi-res photos of the instrument prior to shipping asking if it was OK! Couldn't ask for more. Obviously it is standard prctie for them to inspect a guitar, and not just pass it along as recieved from the manufacturer.

BTW, Rich AKA "guitarslinger" has been known to me for years now, and while we haven't met, we have corresponded on a number of different issues. If it were not for the double customs fee (first to the UK, then to the USA) I would've ordered from him without hesitation. Were I in the UK, I would likely buy from him first. Until someone proves otherwise, I hold his love of guitars, personal integrity, and business practices in high regard.

Are we all reconvened here? Then let's continue! :p

To clarify my pricing calculations, in Japan the standard discount is 20% off list. At the moment the Yen is a little more to our favour but on average 100,000 Yen is about ?500, for example. Shipping to the UK is 16,000 Yen, roughly ?80. VAT is 17.5% and Import Duty is 3%; both of these are payable on the cost of the guitar AND the shipping.

(And let's establish at this point that marking something as a 'Gift' doesn't work...if it did, don't you think everyone would be doing it?! Anything coming in over the value of about ?35 is subject to duty unless you've slipped under the radar...)

Richard's prices are probably the best in the UK on average and I don't begrudge him making a living (no, really, you're allowed to breathe too! :p ). If someone really is offering good service, then it can be worth paying a bit more. To be fair to the likes of Ishibashi, though, I would be ecstatic if UK dealers were as good they are with customers.

Ah, Coda... :lol: Actually, I did buy something from them once. ONCE!! :p

maybe the gift thing doesn`t work in Europe but it does in North America. When I send guitars to Canada, they actually are gifts, to my nephew or his dad and they`ve never paid anything for them.

dont forget to add on the fee that robbing mail charge for collectin the duty. i actually had to go to the royal mail office to chase up my guitar from japan . they had it for 3 weeks in there office, it took 3 or 4 days from japan . they charged me ?15 handling charge, bloody rip off

Why ?15 Mike? I've just had an Epiphone Dot come to me from the US, the customs fee was nothing (very cheap bargain, also got a Bigsby, roller bridge and Classic 57 humbuckers installed, dunno why nobody else was interested) and Parcelforce held it. Their fee was ?8. I wonder why Royal Mail were so much more? Why did they hold it so long?

With the Epiphone, Parcelforce sent me an invoice once it reached the international hub. I paid over the phone and it'll be here tomorrow.

hi
it was actually parcel force,the delay was supposed to be that customs held it up, but i tracked it the whole way from japan. it cleared coventry depot in 2 days, they just let it sit here.
not sure about the fee but i think that it is a percentage of the customs charge, and i think that they have a minimum fee, but beside that they had aready been paid for the postage, why should they also charge extra, also had the same with things from the states, nothing really exspensive couple of pickups .but once i actually paid more for the handling fee than the duty, if i remember correctlly the duty was about ?3. 50 and i paid ?4 postal fee, also the duty is also charged on the postage when bying overseas.and the best bit was that they never delivered it, i had to go and collect it myself

Hi everyone,

Let me give you some details on my LS85Q I ordered back in October from Ishibashi:

Guitar: Y 68,000 = ? 476,-
Case: Y 14,000 = ? 98,-
Total ? 574,-
Shipping EMS with case Y 18,000 = ? 126,-
Total: ? 700,-

Dutch ripp-off import services:
Rights for import: ? 28,83
VAT: ? 141,17
Extra costs ? 15,-
Total ? 182,- (= +31.5%!)

Paid in total: ? 882,- (For a truly great guitar.)

When I would have bought the guitar from togps (excellent seller, but I don?t want to advertise here) it would have saved me ? 100,-.

Moral of the story: It depends on the country you live in, in Holland you?ll pay the main price for anything, especially when importing from outside of the EU...

Another thing to note:
Recently The toggle swith had to be replaced. I had the replacement carried out by a luthier and that costed me ? 40,- in total. (It was a bit costly to send the guitar vice versa to Japan).
When I would have bought the guitar from a local dealer (not present in Holland anyway) I would have paid nothing because guarantee would still have been applicable.
Also: At a dealer you can try the guitar and select the one you like most. Unfortunately this is no option for buying Tokai?s when you live in the Netherlands.
Still, despite everything, very happy with this baby...

So... It all depends.

Kappie

kap.....you have to learn to do the minor soldering repairs yourself...if I can, anybody can. I learned because the local Yamaha shop wanted $30.oo to change each p`up on a strat I had. Went home, removed the pickguard from another strat and rewired it myself...one wire at a time. I disconnected one wire and soldered the new one in it`s place. I was surprised how simple it was. Switches are not complicated either.

Thanks sneaky,

Maybe I?ll try it on my Tokai SG75 because it has a similar switch installed in it...

Regards, Herbert

Guitarslinger,the price you quote of 84000 Yen for that guitar is a bit misleading to say the least,not?

You say the Custom would cost 84000 Yen/400 pounds in Japan (actually 380 pounds when converted but those 20 pounds you add on top to make it appear more expensive seem not to be a big deal for you).However the LC85 (which is basically the new LC70-80 with same specs just different name) is actually 66900/318 pounds at most dealers in Japan.Some sell for cheaper even (63700);

http://www.watanabe-mi.com/shopping/EG/04EG/tokai/LC85S.html

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p47568691?u=rockin_co_jp

http://www.watanabe-mi.com/shopping/EG/04EG/tokai/LC85-WR.html

http://daviscoltrane.hp.infoseek.co.jp/tokai.html

I have a company too so I know we have to make money and pay the bills,but I give my potential customers the proper numbers,no matter what.

However the LC85 (which is basically the new LC70-80 with same specs just different name) is actually 66900/318 pounds at most dealers in Japan.Some sell for cheaper even (63700)

Using the 66,900 Yen quote, after shipping and tax the price would be ?475 which tips the difference over the ?100 mark. Once you're into a saving of three figures it's harder to disregard the import option.

I guess guitarslinger suddenly is not interested in this thread anymore.He made a misleading calculation.If he did it knowingly then I would not do busines with him.If he did it without knowing,it means he should study his busines more before informing potential customers.

Come on Rich, don't go into hiding on this...If you mis-spoke please explain.

i followed this thread too because i wanted to import a guitar from japan. it is always funny to catch a dealer on a lie and see them disappear with their tail between their legs :lol:

Hang on a second.

With having my own business and planning my wedding in 4 weeks time you might all find it surprising that i'm not on here every night....but i am tonight, and it appears that a couple of you have some issues.

Firstly, someone mentioned lie? I think you'll find the quote i got was on an actual web site i found. In fact, i did what most customers probably do, had a look down google and this was just about the only site i could find anything half legible on. So i thought it would suffice for a rough example? Did i not say in my original post that there might well be cheaper out there? it appears that there are, someone has had a look cool.

I might have a tail between my legs mate, but i've got two big hairy balls as well! And there really is no need to start calling me a liar when I started responding to these threads due to some apparently shoddy goings on with another UK dealer and state that we're not all like that.

There has been some tarring with a wide brush going on and it aint right. This affects all UK dealers and rather than just let rubbish be spouted about our industry the good ones should be prepared to step forward. We are doing!

With regards price, you give us a landed quote and then get in touch with James in the office - he will be glad to talk to any of you about Tokai guitars - ANY guitars. And in short we'll do our best to compete with any quote. The final decision is yours.

I did a bit of research, someone else does a bit of research and what comes together is a forum of information and opinion which people will hopefully find useful - not a foum where people try to rip strips off each other when we're all on the same side? Aren't we? Enjoying Tokai guitars and for the dealers among us is making sure that every customer gets great service and value for money?

I might not be an expert in reading Japanese web pages or www.google.co.jp but I know how to look after my customers mate and we'll continue to do so.

Right - I'm off to spend some time with my gorgeous girlfriend! We get married in 4 weeks so forgive me if I don't respond within the hour.

Enjoy your guitars guys - they really are great and if you decide to buy from UK give us dealers - there are others on here as well as me and James and we'd all be willing to take a call from you guys any time.

No language web browser plug ins needed! :wink:

nice excuses guitarslinger, i'm sure some guys will eat that. you quoted at least 80 pounds/147 dollars/117 euros more. like someone said, before trying to convince some customers to buy from you, make sure the figures you give them are correct, is that so much to ask? you confessed that you didn't do your job properly by rushing and checking 1 online shop. the prices were not in japanese, just your avergae western numbers, so that excuse is also laughable.so does this mean that you will sell the lc85 for 470 pounds instead of the 579 you ask now on your site i noticed? 470 pounds is what it would cost if you bought from japan, taxes and shipping included and you said you would match the quoted prices. or was this another lie?

I don't want to get in the middle of this, but Rich DID say "others may be cheaper". He never claimed to have the lowest price. He has offered top service, and unless someone has a legit complaint about his service, I am willing to overlook his posting without double checking his math.

I doubt he will fail to check his math in the future. If he makes misleading price claims habitual, then I'll be with you in being dissapointed in him. Don't trust him over this? Don't buy from him.

Haven't each of us posted something hastily in the past?

I've left other forums because of needless spats, I hope we can move past a mis-quote here.

The whole point of the example i used (using some other sites figures - it's not like i just thought them up randomly, and notice i did say "approximate" in that original post) was to state that buying from abroad is perhaps not quite a cut and dry matter. People had posted that they will never buy from UK dealers, that UK dealers can't offer service good service!! And I think it warranted a view from the other side of the fence.

The numbers were accurate to that web site i looked at. I said there may be more out there....i think i covered myself sufficiently to not warrant someone coming on here calling me a liar! I mean really, that is a bit bloody harsh mate. I'm only trying to help. And if the web site i used is ?80 more expensive then i'm sorry. You see that kind of price range between UK online stores too....which is why i suggested there might be cheaper out there also.....which has been proven to be the case.

I think most reasonable people will see that there was no malice behind the original post.

Enjoy playing your PRS. - What model do you have?

I wouldnt put it as bluntly as PRS but misquoting more than 80 pounds is not an accident or approximately that price.It is like I said,or knowingly misleading people who dont investigate stuff,or you just did not do your job properly and should look into it more.In either case I would look for another provider.

And yes answer his question if you can Guitarslinger.You said you would give it for almost the same price.Are you going to do that now you know what that price is?