anybody played a 52 tele style guitar?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walter tore

Reaction score
Hi all: I have a MIK tokai ES 60 and love it. I am thinking of getting one of their tele's. How do they sound, and is the workmanship similar to the ES 60? I have a 1963 jazzmaster, and it has that fender hum when plugged in- you have to move around to find the quiet spot. Did tokai eliminate that problem? Thanks. Walter

Hi Walter

I Have a fairly recent Tokai (i.e. modified headstock) double edgebound Tele custom - MIJ (TTE55?). Knowing Tokai they went out of their way to ensure that their vintage replicas hum just like the originals. My Tele has the normal single coil hum plus it had an annoying crackle every time my hand passed over the scratchplate. A few strips of self adhesive aluminium tape around the control cavity and on the back of the scratchplate solved the latter problem.

PS - This Tokai Tele custom - with the stock pickups - has the best tone of any of my guitars.

Hope this helps

Mark

PPS - Try and get a Japanese one if you can.

Sorry Walter

Ediated and reposted my message as I'm not sure I properly conveyed what I intended.

I Have a fairly recent Tokai (i.e. modified headstock) double edgebound Tele custom - MIJ (TTE55?). Knowing Tokai they would go out of their way to ensure that their vintage replicas hum just like the originals. Hence my Tele has the normal single coil hum plus it had an annoying crackle every time my hand passed over the scratchplate. A few strips of self adhesive aluminium tape around the control cavity and on the back of the scratchplate solved the latter problem.

Despite this my Tokai Tele custom - with the stock pickups - has the best tone of any of my guitars. What some might consider a fault (i.e. humming) others consider character and staying true to the vintage spec. One of my other guitars is a US Deluxe Strat with vintage and hot noiseless pickups designed to eliminate the usual single coil hum. They do indeed eliminate hum - but the tradeoff is that they sound a little lifeless and sterile. Many players have reverted to the old 'noisey' single coils as the trade off for a great tone. You will also find that the centre Tele pickup position is hum cancelling.

Hope this helps

Mark

PPS - Try and get a Japanese one if you can.

If you're looking for a good cheap Telecaster, try and find one of the Squier Silver Series Telecasters. I've got one and it's superb, cost me ?175 on Ebay, owner had upgraded the pickups to those that come with a USA Standard Tele. The Silver Series were made in Japan as far as I know and the quality is excellent. It certainly feels and sounds better than a ?175 guitar.

Thanks for the responses. I decided to buy a MIK butterscotch 52 tele from JSD guitar shop. I can't wait to get it. Walter

Walter, The MIK 52' Tele Reissues are very good guitars. Possibly the best Tele deal on the market. Enjoy !

Back