Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first Tokai..many QC issues *High Resolution pics page 2*
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supreme
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: My first Tokai..many QC issues *High Resolution pics page 2* Reply with quote

I posted this on another forum and decided to post it here too. I don't know if I can post it here because it is negative, if not delete mods.

I got a new Tokai LC70-80, a white LP Custom replica about 1 and a half weeks ago. It sounds very nice, in fact as good as a USA Gibson.....but that is where things end. I know that should be enough but this guitar has many unacceptable issues. A list:

- binding is not properly done on some areas, there is a visible gap that you can feel with your fingers (remember it's a white guitar so you see a dark line), especially cutaway, bottom body and neck.
- fretmarkers visible on a few frets, where the machine was pushed in. The highest frets also stick out, so you feel them scratching your fingers when you play there.
- there are marks in the white finish, 1 yellow (1 cm) and 1 dark grey (4 cm). Also many little black dots.
- D-string tuner skips and cannot be tuned whatever you do, every few minutes it detunes. Yes, I tried new strings, stretching, nut lube etc.
- the most annoying issue....... at moderate action the frets clatter non-stop, so not low action, medium. A few notes stop ringing after a few seconds too. This is just ruining the playing experience altogether, especially because I am used to playing a bit lower action than this but then it becomes unplayable.
- the strap button was put in with a lot of force because it took of the surrounding finish and now the wood is visible.
- the plastic coverings on the back do not fit, rather the wood has been cut out roughly, so not smooth but with sharp angles.

I will have a digital cam tomorrow, pics will follow.

The English store that I got it new from pretends they don't know me now, but I still try. What I want to know is, why did Tokai let this guitar leave their factory? Where is their quality control while they promise it is better than Gibson's, while it on this particular guitar is worse than any Gibson I tried? I am pissed of with my first Tokai.

Does anyone know how I can contact Tokai (preferably someone who has a bit of power), I want to contact them personally.

Last edited by supreme on Tue May 30, 2006 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Deadman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob4tokai@aol.com

He's the man here in the UK. He's damn helpful too. Sorry to hear about your issues.
bruno
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it happens... did you buy before you try?

anyways, I wouldn't say your bad experience is with tokai properly speaking, I would say your bad experience is with the store you bought it from... tokai also make mistakes, however they stand by their products, so all you have to do is choose a honest dealer, you weren't lucky with the one you chose though...

hope all works out
supreme
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Deadman, I emailed him.

bruno, on one hand it is the shop yes, but....who built the guitar and let it leave the factory with these unacceptable issues? My bad experience is with the guitar that is now sitting in the corner of a room and I refuse to touch.
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man i am SO sorry to hear about these issues.

I would be very interested to know about the shop though.

As others said, talk to bob@ tokai uk
supreme
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

math, I am giving the shop one last chance to acknowledge, correct, whatever before I give out their info. I sent them a last email today.

They are on ebay too, so I will post a very long negative comment, and then post the info of their shop on ALL forums that I visit....as a first step.

The more I look at the guitar, the more I want to break the damn thing.
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi supreme,

I understand that you're pissed by your first experience with Tokai!

It is inexcusable to have let go out the guitar in a such bad condition!

But ... ^&*( happens - unfortunately it was your turn now!

But it does happen also - I want to tell you although it doesn't really help at the moment - with guitars with the big "G".

Yesterday, on my visit to the LP-forum, I read a thread of a guy who made a similar experience with a G ...-shop. They had sold him a high end "Cloud9" and this guitar was unplayable! Issues, issues, warped neck and so on ... He was beside himself with rage!
I beg you, please, although you're very angry, don't make the forum members responsible for that ... They/We gave advice to the best of all conscience ... not more, not less!
... not all Tokais are in such a bad shape than your's. Mine is 21 years old and made her long way from Japan to Europe - nothing evil happened!

I'm sure - things will change to the better for you!

Roger
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like tudor said thinks will work out, even tokai make mistakes from time to time, if it hadn't been you, it would be some one else with that guitar...

Could you answer some of the questions made:

-did you try before buying?
-what is the store

thanks and hope all works out
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supreme i feel you man.

Just let us now (or via pm) because many of us are in the UK, so if the shop has such a bad attitude, we should better know beforehand.
togps
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: My first Tokai......many QC issues..... Reply with quote

supreme wrote:
... I will have a digital cam tomorrow, pics will follow.

Folks, I am very, very sceptic. So I am waiting with a huge interest for the pics.
supreme, may we expect detailed pics with serial number?
Amo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: My first Tokai......many QC issues..... Reply with quote

togps wrote:
supreme wrote:
... I will have a digital cam tomorrow, pics will follow.

Folks, I am very, very sceptic. So I am waiting with a huge interest for the pics.

As Ive already said in the "Tokai Vs G..." thread ive just bought a lefthanded ES120 and the build quality,set up, fretting, playability ect is astounding. If my guitar is anything to by, something VERY wrong must have happend at Tokai's quality control
supreme
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tudor wrote:
Hi supreme,

I understand that you're pissed by your first experience with Tokai!

It is inexcusable to have let go out the guitar in a such bad condition!

But ... ^&*( happens - unfortunately it was your turn now!

But it does happen also - I want to tell you although it doesn't really help at the moment - with guitars with the big "G".

Yesterday, on my visit to the LP-forum, I read a thread of a guy who made a similar experience with a G ...-shop. They had sold him a high end "Cloud9" and this guitar was unplayable! Issues, issues, warped neck and so on ... He was beside himself with rage!
I beg you, please, although you're very angry, don't make the forum members responsible for that ... They/We gave advice to the best of all conscience ... not more, not less!
... not all Tokais are in such a bad shape than your's. Mine is 21 years old and made her long way from Japan to Europe - nothing evil happened!

I'm sure - things will change to the better for you!

Roger

Cheers Roger, I know Gibson has many issues too, just didn't expect them from Tokai.

bruno wrote:
-did you try before buying?
-what is the store

- The guitar is from England, I live in the Netherlands, so no testing, however talked on the phone a few times, emailed a lot etc etc, he sounded reliable. I would have spotted these things in an instant and avoided the guitar like the plague.

- Finally today I got a reply from the shop after the rather blunt email I sent yesterday (he used as an excuse that he was away for a week so didn't see my emails....) and he said he would look into it. But I don't trust it so I sent the info to Bob Murdoch at Tokai Guitars UK after he asked for it in his email reply. He will directly contact the shop and see what they can do about it. I will see what happens now and decide then to give out the shop info. Maybe he genuinly was away for a week and didn't see my emails.....maybe not.

togps wrote:
supreme, may we expect detailed pics with serial number?

I am not lying.

The digital cam will be here in a few hours (from a friend) and I will post HUGE detailed pics of all the issues tonight/in the evening, including the 2-3 issues I didn't mention in the first post. Serial will be visible and I will write down your nick on a paper in the same shot, ok?. No offense but you sound like a Gibson fan would sound after saying there are issues with a Gibson. Yep, I am easily irritable at the moment.....getting a crap guitar and then someone implying I am lying about it.
OrvilleBoy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that must be so frustrating getting a bad guitar... sorry to hear!!!

i think we're all sane people here , i'm sure we dont complain over nothing... hope you get to the bottom of it!

whats your preferable outcome to this whole mess if u dont mind sharing??? i'd demand a cash refund for sure...
supreme
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OrvilleBoy wrote:
that must be so frustrating getting a bad guitar... sorry to hear!!!

i think we're all sane people here , i'm sure we dont complain over nothing... hope you get to the bottom of it!

whats your preferable outcome to this whole mess if u dont mind sharing??? i'd demand a cash refund for sure...

Cheers OrvilleBoy.

I am looking for a replacement, preferably handpicked by Bob from Tokai Guitars UK, and he actually suggested this in his email to me, altough they don't have a white Custom. The way I got this Tokai is by trading in my mint new Epi Sheraton II (which was a better guitar in every way, but I needed a heavier sound) + 200 pounds on top of that from my side. If he wants to give back my Sheraton and the money, I would take that too in an instant over this afterbirth I got.
bruno
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supreme, you still haven't answered what I asked... what's the name of the store... it would make good information on a place to be avoided in the future in case you do have a bad experience... besides if the guitar is indeed in just bad conditions, it might have not left the factory like that, maybe something went wrong at the store.

don't give up on tokai, considering you did indeed get unlucky, you should try your chance once again, I find it hard to believe that the guitar left the factory that way though...

thanks and good luck
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: