I'm surprised to see that no one comments on epi japan LQ's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
they are the continuity of the Orville but a few things bug me:
-for that price you should expect a nitro finish and some Gibson pick up. That's what you had with the OBG...

I would definitely go for an Edwards ( in fact I would go for a Bacchus) or a ?piphone "limited edition" wich are better than the elitist for what I could see.

I think you misread what I wrote, I'm talking about the LQ limited edition epiphone's NOT the elitists...

Pickups can always be changed, plus the maple top on and edwards really bug's me, it way too thin, not like a gibson, tokai or epiphone LQ for that matter... and by the way Epiphone LQ is lacquer finished, although I haven't yet confirmed wether it is nitro lacquer or another type of lacquer, but then again tokai also doesn't specify that...

Bacchus is another story (that doesn't really count for this thread)

ha yes, I was refering to that LQ editions. :oops:

There used to be a wide range of models but now it's just a few of them.

I understood you had misread... why do you think so few people talk about these? I mean they seem really really nice for their price.

I think price is the key here, they are dearer than Edwards etc, personally i like edwards, a lot of people don't but everyone can decide for themselves, i hope people don't buy Edwards (more for me) plus the price wont get friven throught the roof like Orville.

Epiphone whether it is in Korea or Japan are all still trading off the Gibson name so the price is higher new and then higher second hand.

The street price of this Epis is JYEN 79,800
The street price of a Tokai LS80 is JYEN 64,000

So why should buy somebody this Epi?
Even, besides the laquer, same features!

What makes you say the LQ line is more expensive? I've done the math on a edwards/epiphone lq price, and they are just about the same...

And like I said edwards is ok, those one piece backs are a good feature and all, but the thin maple top bugs me quite a bit...

bruno said:
I understood you had misread... why do you think so few people talk about these? I mean they seem really really nice for their price.

Well, For most people, it's difficult to understand that there is an inside and an outside market in japan and that the quality of the products for local market is really better than the exprtation stuff. I think the LQ are difficult to get as they are limited quantities and they might often also get confused with the elitist.

yes it's quite possible most people see them as just another epiphone guitar or get them confused with the elitists... but I always thought I would find someone here in the forum, that would have some experience with these... which didn't happen

Did you try the official Epiphone forum on the Gibson site? And there's another private one, maybe they know more about these models:

http://www.gibson.com/products/epiphone/forum/toast.asp
http://epifriends.proboards28.com/

Furthermore there's a rather new private Gibson forum, too, which has some boards for Epiphone stuff as well:

http://gibson-talk.com/

I started a thread about these Epiphones a while ago but there was little in the way of response. The specs are interesting but I wish the range were not so limited; also, it would be nice if the LP Custom did not have a maple cap.

I believe there are some reviews on Harmony Central, which at least give some idea of the instruments from an owner's perspective.

yes there is one review at harmony central...

and two more at epi forum...

If you do a search, you'll find out, that I've written and asked around, about these guitar, on more than one ocasion, and just like you, I didn't get a lot of replies

it's common for customs to come with a maple cap, since most of them try to copy a late 60's one

Why would you want an Epiphone if you can get a Tokai for the same price or less? Unless you want to advertise Epiphone here for some reason?

I think you obviously don't know me well enough to make such an acusation, if you were smart you would've noticed, that I've been a member of this forum for quite a while now, and that I already own a very beautiful tokai LS-145s...

If you were smart you would also have noticed, that the epiphone LQ and the
corresponding tokai in the same price range, are guitars with different specs...

Why not just forget about that ugly plaintop LS290 lemon, get three or four Epiphones instead and write a nice review about them? ;) :wink:

ahah, i'll tell you what my line of thought is hans:

-by the end of the summer to get a ls-290 (if I can indeed find one by then)...

-or by the end of the summer to order a ls-135 and a LQ (two plaintops, cool :wink: )

of course if I go for the ls-135 and LQ a review will be made, or at least a small discription in a topic with photos like I did with the 145s

bruno said:
If you were smart you would also have noticed, that the epiphone LQ and the
corresponding tokai in the same price range, are guitars with different specs...
Bruno, are you able to tell us the different specs, please? (Epi LQ vs. LS80)

Latest posts

Back