Help in identifying an MIJ Les Paul copy (Camel Les Paul)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zook

Reaction score
Anybody familiar with Camel guitars? I got this a week ago. The former owner bought it from a musician in Japan and literally hid it under the bed for a couple of years. I was a bit put off when I saw it. The strings were all rusted, the body and head stock were encrusted in a thick layer of dirt, other hardware were showing signs of corrossion. Below is a picture I took the day after I bought it. Got rid of 90% of the dirt but as you can see the neck still looks lifeless.

According to a premier guitar luthier here in Manila, this is a faithful reproduction of a Gibson LP. Well, except for the tailpiece and the tuning heads. It has a maple top, mahogany back and neck, mother-of-earl inlays, etc. In terms of quality, the luthier said it is comparable to a high end Tokai or Greco. It is probably from the "lawsuit era." I really have no way of knowing since there is zero information on the world wide web.

The guitar sounds good. Tone is clean with lots of sustain despite the rusted strings. This is my first Les Paul so I really have no way of knowing how it compares to other LPs.

And so if you have any information on Camel guitars, please post it to this thread. TIA!

lespaul1.jpg

orvilleowner said:
It sort of looks like a Matsumoku product --- I get that vibe from it.

Well, I think I've read somwhere that Camel was a label of Aria but, since I couldn't find were, it's nothing I'm sure of. But Yes, I gets that Matsumoku vibe too.

Well, I remember now, I read that on a yahoo auction. A guy was selling one and said it was from Aria. it's not very reliable but since I didn't find any infos anywhere...

Earlier this year I bought a 'Camel Travelcast' from a collector. Stunning early 80's Japanese copy (lawsuity) with no other information available anywhere.

You guys are wittier than the Washburn crowd. The similar stylised logo is of some interest as it could possibly indicate a promotional item ordered by the infamous cigarette company from who? Matsumoku? Time frame fits.

longbrim said:
You guys are wittier than the Washburn crowd. The similar stylised logo is of some interest as it could possibly indicate a promotional item ordered by the infamous cigarette company from who? Matsumoku? Time frame fits.

Here's one for you Camel fans (look at the script on the pack - looks **** close to that on the guitar - and that is a mighty fine looking guitar):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

zook said:
The guitar sounds good. Tone is clean with lots of sustain despite the rusted strings.

Whatever the guitar is, get rid of those rusty strings! Dirt on a guitar probably won't do it much harm, but playing a guitar with rusty strings is going to damage the frets & fingerboard, or at least cause much more severe wear. The jagged bits on the strings won't do your fingers any good either.

Mike

Camel and Fresher were brands of Kyowa Shokai (Kyowa Trading Company) http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/

The Camel and Fresher guitars were probably made by Chushin Gakki in the 70s and early 80s. In the mid 1980s Kyowa Shokai and Chushin Gakki started making Jacksons etc http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/JacksonStars.htm

SMOOOOOOOOOOOKIN.........Nice find. First thing is to change strings, then play it for awhile, then have it set up properly (or do it yourself if you know how to).

One thing you can do, when you change the strings, is to clean the fretboard with a rag and lukewarm water. Watch out not to have the rag to wet, just damp. If there is stubborn build up of dirt (usually against the frets it is a good practise to remove it carefully with a credit card or similar plastic object. DO NOT USE SHARP METAL OBJECTS.

When this has been done, let it dry overnight and then oil it with Cold Pressed Linseed Oil. It is available in small bottles at every store that sells /paint/pencils/canvas to artist?s. It costs 2-3 dollars and lasts a lifetime. For best results do not use the lemon oils sold at music stores.

You will be surprised when this dried out fretboard will darken and come to life again! Pictures please. before and after;-)

All the best
T

throstur said:
For best results do not use the lemon oils sold at music stores.

You will be surprised when this dried out fretboard will darken and come to life again! Pictures please. before and after;-)

I beg to differ - I've been using lemon oil for over 15 years with only good results. There's a separate thread on lemon oil somewhere on here, if you want to look for it.

Just make sure you use Lemon Oil that's meant for guitar fretboards. I'm pretty sure it's different than "100% lemon oil" or whatever the other ones are.

As someone mentioned earlier, your best bet is to (after removing the strings, of course) take a plastic pick or something similar and scrape down that fretboard. Go with the grain, and work hard getting the buildup off in each fret-section, and then get the stuff that's built up around them. After doing this across the entire thing put a dab/drop/squirt of lemon oil on a cloth and wipe down the entire fretboard, you'll only need a very small amount for the entire thing. Then let it sit for a few minutes and wipe off the excess.

Edit: Is this the lemon oil thread?
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6015&highlight=lemon+oil

stratman323 said:
throstur said:
For best results do not use the lemon oils sold at music stores.

I beg to differ - I've been using lemon oil for over 15 years with only good results. There's a separate thread on lemon oil somewhere on here, if you want to look for it.

Interesting, I will read the thread:) There are many types of lemon oils. The Linseed Oil is just a suggestion, it?s organic and in my opinion seems to penetrate nicely into the wood and last well. It?s just what I like best.... and it is also cheapest option you can get;-)

stratman323 said:

many lemon oils sold at music stores contain petroleum. this is a serious no-no.

Latest posts

Back