Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help in identifying an MIJ Les Paul copy (Camel Les Paul)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zook
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Help in identifying an MIJ Les Paul copy (Camel Les Paul) Reply with quote

Anybody familiar with Camel guitars? I got this a week ago. The former owner bought it from a musician in Japan and literally hid it under the bed for a couple of years. I was a bit put off when I saw it. The strings were all rusted, the body and head stock were encrusted in a thick layer of dirt, other hardware were showing signs of corrossion. Below is a picture I took the day after I bought it. Got rid of 90% of the dirt but as you can see the neck still looks lifeless.

According to a premier guitar luthier here in Manila, this is a faithful reproduction of a Gibson LP. Well, except for the tailpiece and the tuning heads. It has a maple top, mahogany back and neck, mother-of-earl inlays, etc. In terms of quality, the luthier said it is comparable to a high end Tokai or Greco. It is probably from the "lawsuit era." I really have no way of knowing since there is zero information on the world wide web.

The guitar sounds good. Tone is clean with lots of sustain despite the rusted strings. This is my first Les Paul so I really have no way of knowing how it compares to other LPs.

And so if you have any information on Camel guitars, please post it to this thread. TIA!

Last edited by zook on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
orvilleowner
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help in identifying an MIJ Les Paul copy Reply with quote

I've never seen or heard of a Camel before.

Quote:
Got rid of 90% of the dirt but as you can see the neck still looks lifeless.

Well, then you better start playing it!

It looks like a winner.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guitar.....I bet it smokes
orvilleowner
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

It sort of looks like a Matsumoku product --- I get that vibe from it.
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orvilleowner wrote:
It sort of looks like a Matsumoku product --- I get that vibe from it.

Well, I think I've read somwhere that Camel was a label of Aria but, since I couldn't find were, it's nothing I'm sure of. But Yes, I gets that Matsumoku vibe too.
orvilleowner
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it's confirmed: Matsumoku it is!
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I remember now, I read that on a yahoo auction. A guy was selling one and said it was from Aria. it's not very reliable but since I didn't find any infos anywhere...
longbrim
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: CAMEL GUITAR Reply with quote

Earlier this year I bought a 'Camel Travelcast' from a collector. Stunning early 80's Japanese copy (lawsuity) with no other information available anywhere.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:

I got the joke even if no-one else did
longbrim
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: CAMEL GUITAR Reply with quote

You guys are wittier than the Washburn crowd. The similar stylised logo is of some interest as it could possibly indicate a promotional item ordered by the infamous cigarette company from who? Matsumoku? Time frame fits.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMEL GUITAR Reply with quote

longbrim wrote:
You guys are wittier than the Washburn crowd. The similar stylised logo is of some interest as it could possibly indicate a promotional item ordered by the infamous cigarette company from who? Matsumoku? Time frame fits.

Here's one for you Camel fans (look at the script on the pack - looks damn close to that on the guitar - and that is a mighty fine looking guitar):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help in identifying an MIJ Les Paul copy (Camel Les Pau Reply with quote

zook wrote:
The guitar sounds good. Tone is clean with lots of sustain despite the rusted strings.

Whatever the guitar is, get rid of those rusty strings! Dirt on a guitar probably won't do it much harm, but playing a guitar with rusty strings is going to damage the frets & fingerboard, or at least cause much more severe wear. The jagged bits on the strings won't do your fingers any good either.

Mike
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel and Fresher were brands of Kyowa Shokai (Kyowa Trading Company) http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/

The Camel and Fresher guitars were probably made by Chushin Gakki in the 70s and early 80s. In the mid 1980s Kyowa Shokai and Chushin Gakki started making Jacksons etc http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/JacksonStars.htm
throstur
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOOOOOOOOOOOKIN.........Nice find. First thing is to change strings, then play it for awhile, then have it set up properly (or do it yourself if you know how to).

One thing you can do, when you change the strings, is to clean the fretboard with a rag and lukewarm water. Watch out not to have the rag to wet, just damp. If there is stubborn build up of dirt (usually against the frets it is a good practise to remove it carefully with a credit card or similar plastic object. DO NOT USE SHARP METAL OBJECTS.

When this has been done, let it dry overnight and then oil it with Cold Pressed Linseed Oil. It is available in small bottles at every store that sells /paint/pencils/canvas to artist?s. It costs 2-3 dollars and lasts a lifetime. For best results do not use the lemon oils sold at music stores.

You will be surprised when this dried out fretboard will darken and come to life again! Pictures please. before and after;-)

All the best
T
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

throstur wrote:
For best results do not use the lemon oils sold at music stores.

You will be surprised when this dried out fretboard will darken and come to life again! Pictures please. before and after;-)

I beg to differ - I've been using lemon oil for over 15 years with only good results. There's a separate thread on lemon oil somewhere on here, if you want to look for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: