Just got an ES130 from Ishibashi -- but there are issues

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I've been lurking around the forum, getting some great info from everybody and finally ended up ordering an ES130 in sunburst from Ishibashi last week. Ishibashi has been incredible to deal with and I couldn't be happier with their service, but the guitar came yesterday and has some issues. The main problems are what look to be finish flaws on the top of the guitar. I have photos, but don't have a way to post them (if anybody can, I'll forward you the pictures). The flaws look to be a couple of darker lines or drip marks (even possibly some flaws in the wood -- it's hard to tell) near the bridge of the guitar. They are VERY noticeable and I'm surprised Tokai/Ishibashi let it out the door this way.

The other issue is not as big of a deal -- the neck pickup volume knob is set really high (not close to the body of the guitar as the other knobs are). I'm pretty sure I can just adjust that myself and bring it down flush with the other knobs -- but again, I'm surprised that this sort of thing wasn't checked before the guitar was shipped out. The guitar also needs some adjustment as the high E string is fretting out, but that was expected and I can fix that myself.

Overall, I really like the sound and especially the neck of this guitar, but am dissapointed in the quality control at Tokai/Ishibashi -- especially after hearing all the glowing reports. What should I do? I'm leaning toward contacting Ishibashi and seeing if I can get some compensation back for the instrument and hanging onto it, but wanted to get your opinion. Has anybody had any involvement with Ishibashi like this? Anybody had to return anything? How was your experience?

Thanks!

I've not had an experience like yours (I've only bought used from them). Back in 1998, I did get a guitar with an "extra bend" at the nut (during shipping), but insurance came through in short time and another guitar was sent to me.

Did you get any images of the guitar prior to purchase?

I didn't get any photos before purchase -- which in hindsight was an error -- but they only had one ES130 available, and I was counting on their glowing reputation. I still very much recommend them, and don't want anybody to think I'm bashing Ishibashi -- I just want to find out the best way to deal with the problem. Any other thoughts?

Oh and by the way, ishibashi's glowing reputation stands true, here I've bought a used fender mustang from them, and a brand new tokai ls-145s

the mustang came out exactly as described, I made that deal through koichi, great guy, the tokai is new, and arrived spotless, no complaints whatsoever, the deal was made through hiroaki, once again a first class person... can't say enough good things about ishibashi, will most definetly continue to buy guitars from them

Photos sent -- thanks!

Yep -- Ishibashi has always been great to deal with, and I know they'll do whatever they can to remedy the issue, I just want to go about it the right way.

no problem man, I think you're right about trying to find out about those issues and I'm sure ishibashi will help you out...

the photos:

146_4634_1.jpg

146_4633_1.jpg

146_4630_1.jpg

146_4629_1.jpg

I'm no expert but, to me, those darker lines look natural marks in the wood.
Of course one person's "distinctive mark" is somebody else's "flaw" but, by way of comparison, I've posted a shot of my ES-120's top (a recent purchase from this forum - thanks Hutton!).
It's covered in those darker lines and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the fact that it looks like "real wood". (I don't like that very regular, "too perfect" look to some of the sycamore tops on the Love Rocks.)
es120.jpg

Incidentally I think that they have put the base coat on too heavy in one application before applying the lacquer.

Single pack varnishes (such as shellac, which is what may or may not have been used to achieve that colour) have a tendency to 'ring' or build up at points of overly-applied application just as it appears to have done on that otherwise beautifully made guitar.

I think the QA department would die if they saw that on this website. Something went terribly wrong on the day that guitar left the factory.

The lines on yours are consistent bashbrook.

They're natural.

Nighttrain's look like they were made witha pencil brush and a very heavy hand.

I have to agree with deadman, they don't look natural, something went, wrong, get in contact with ishibashi, they'll sort things out for you and warn tokai... for sure, I wouldn't have posted the pictures unless they deserved some attention.

Yep. unfortunately that particular guitar doesnt comply to the "Tokai has excellent QC , much better than Gibson etc etc", so i would return it. If i wanted a guitar with variable QC i would go Gibson and not Tokai

My big gripe with Tokai is shipping guitars before that finish cures. I have had to hand rub every one that I have got from them. But it's minor and I like to hold them...... :wink: By the way , Hiroaki just informed me today to get ready to wait>

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your e-mail. This is Hiroaki from Ishibashi WEB SHOP.

Unfortunately, the arrival date of "LS380/VF" is unclear now.
"around 6 month" is rough plan...
But I will ask to the maker for you and inform you if you would like.
I would like to keep in touch.

If you have question, please feel free to ask me.
Thank you very much!

Got to love that girl! I wonder what she looks like?

Stop getting excited TF :wink:

The more I look at the ES, the more it looks like a repair.

I reckon the base coat (the colour/stain underneath the lacquer) got damaged and flatted back then touched up. Hence the lines. They then simply applied the lacquer over the top in the normal way. Unbelievable for Tokais standards I accept, but very plausible looking at the photos.

ahahah koichi who I delt with a few years ago, when I bought my mustang was also a nice chap... I always tought hiroaki was a girl too, and I must admit I also wondered what she looked like lolol, got to get me a japanese girl friend 8)

Back