Marshall DSL 401

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny73

Reaction score
Got serious gas for some valves at the moment!

Does anyone now anything about this amp. Its only ?450, but what i need to know is would it be loud enough to gig with?. I currently use a 300 year old valvestate 8240 which is beginning to go south. I'm using a POD to try and wring the last vestages of life out of it, but as those of you have read my threads in the FX section will know that the POD is going too. I just want a small loud valve amp tha i can turn up to gigs with and play without the need for too much in the way of floorcandy (just delay, flange, tuner and boost perhaps)

Any thoughts? :-?

Four months later I guess this response is no good to you Jonny !!

I own a DSL 401, bought it a couple of months ago for ?200, it needed new valves.

the older 401's have a overheating problem, I think pre Aug 2002, there is a very simple mod if you are happy to wield a soldering iron with a PC fan and a heatsink that will sort them out. check the marshall amp forum for exact details or PM me id be happy to help

I have to say that after 20 years of playing this is my perfect amp. It has a fantastic clean channel for any amp never mind a marshall and sounds good at all volumes, and yes they are loud enough to gig, it should have no problem keeping up with a 80w transistor amp.

They say the Lead channels were designed to sound like a plexi & JCM 800 respectively, ive never been in a position to do a side by side comparison but you couldnt mistake the sound for anything but classic marshall.

For anything from blues - hard rock, portability, sound, price, valve mojo you cant go wrong

Latest posts

Back