Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What DON'T you like on a LP (or LR) style guitar.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spleen
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: What DON'T you like on a LP (or LR) style guitar. Reply with quote

I was explaining to my wife, the rather picky list of characteristics a Les Paul style guitar has to match for me to like it and I thought it'd make a neat topic. I'm sure my do not list is = someone's dream guitar but that's what makes the world go around hey? What is your "hate" list?

Here's what I Do Not like in a Les Paul Style guitar:
1. Customs. I hate 'em. I don't like the cheap looking rectangular fret markers, I don't like the black trim on the binding, I don't like the double binding, and I don't like the diamond headstock.
2. Gold hardware. It looks crass new and looks cheap when it's old to me.
3. 3 pickup Les Pauls. I love Ace Frehley but they just look weird and too busy to me.
4. White top or Zebra pickups. I much prefer black uncovered or covered nickel.
5. White (and to a lesser extent, black) Les Pauls. Perhaps this is because so many customs are white or Black but I prefer a red or some type of burst.
6. Excessively yellow cherry sunbursts. I like a yellow wood stained LP but I dislike a bright yellow in the Cherry Sunburst.

Usually if a guitar has any of the above 6 cosmetic "don'ts" it's off my "must buy list".

I know that many people prefer customs to Standards or would disagree with other portions of my list. Let's hear from you and see your own list!
clmazza
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you don't like my 68 reissue custom then...

I hear what your saying... what's another man's garbage is another man's treasure!

Spleen
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be off my "must buy" list but that is one sweet looking top on that guitar!
orvilleowner
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What DON'T you like on a LP (or LR) style guitar. Reply with quote

Mostly, I agree with you. Here's what I Do Not like in a Les Paul Style guitar:
1. Gold hardware.
2. 3 pickup Les Pauls.
3. uncovered pickups.
4. Excessively red cherry sunbursts.

I do like Customs, but I wish Gold hardware wasn't standard.
clmazza
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree on the Gold hardware! It wears off way too quickly and then looks like crap. It just doesn't "age" like the nickel.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like excesive red on cherry red models too and bad 15th fret and on access,and an excessive (heavy) weight(4,5 kg. and on).
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too high prices...
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never a big fan of Customs either, although my first guitar was a Custom copy by Goya. I wish I still had it - it really was quite a good guitar (I assume it was made in Japan.)

I dislike gold hardware but somehow I think it's looks totally killer on those white 3-pickup SG Customs though!

Jim
ochay
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Greco Super Real Les Pauls- I have had 3 and there were issues with ALL three, The BIG FAT necks took some getting usted to-

I don't like 1978 Les Paul Reborns-to heavy compared to all the other years Reborns/Love Rocks.
Spleen
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochay wrote:
I don't like Greco Super Real Les Pauls- I have had 3 and there were issues with ALL three, The BIG FAT necks took some getting usted to-

You've said this before and I find it interesting. I have a 1982 Greco EG59-100 and it's awesome although the neck is wider than I was used to. It plays and looks great, my only complaint is the bridge pickup is a little too trebly for my tastes. Having since played a '59 Gibson Historic with the same neck radius I can confirm that the Greco was according to '59 specs anyway. My 81 Gibson must be a '60 neck which is more to my tastes but I got used to the 59 neck quite fast as I can't seem to set my Greco down!

Maybe because my Greco is a Mint Collection and not a Super Real it makes a difference?
Spleen
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of another couple things I Do Not Like in a Les Paul Style guitar.
7. P-90 pickups. They sound really cool but I hate the look of Soapbars. I don't like mini humbuckers either.
8. Epiphone Headstocks. Actually we can probably include any non "lawsuit" style headstock to this list. Heritage builds a great guitar but I don't like their headstock for LP style guitars (even if I understand why they did so).
PoorMan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Spleen. You are picky.

I dislike overly red and yellow sunburtsts...looks like those big stick popcicles to me. Don't like heavy Pauls. Don't like high prices.
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochay wrote:
I don't like 1978 Les Paul Reborns-to heavy compared to all the other years Reborns/Love Rocks.

Interesting you say that...I've only ever played one Reborn, a '78 LS-60, and it had to weigh as much as my Norlin LP...

Jim
ochay
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some heavy suckers also.

For the most part all the Tokai Les Pauls after 1980 are lighter-at least in my limited experiance.

Marcus
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, what is the issue with the gold hardware (on customs)? Is this purely cosmetic/appearance, or is there something else involved?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: