ORANGE ASD30 COMBO Faulty ??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goddardo

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a possible opportunity to buy a faulty Orange AD30 Combo quite cheap.
It just stopped working, but I'm worried it could be major a problem,
or simply just a fuse.
The seller say's he hasn't tried anything with it yet, so it could either be a bargain or a dog

Any advice would be appreciated

G :-?

The Plexi Palace is a forum with a board for Orange amps, too, maybe you can find some help there:

http://www.plexipalace.com/plexiboard/index.php

But with only that info it's hard to diagnose it... ;)

a blown fuse is usually a sign of another problem. That said, it might be as simple as a faulty rectifier tube! Or as expensive as a power transformer...

I suppose it all comes down to what is the asking price? To buy a faulty amp without knowing the problem would suggest that the asking price should be on the low side.

Hi.
Thanks for the comments, I since found out it's a single channel AD30 2x12 combo,
not too far from where I live 20-30 miles. & he's hoping for ?400 which I think is too much for a possible lemon.
I did suggest ?350 depending on any info I can get but he's a bit hesitant at that.
I can't understand why he's not bothered about checking it out himself, even a fuse !!!
He said it just cut out during practice, nothing dramatic & he's not looked at it since ????

G :-?

goddardo said:
I can't understand why he's not bothered about checking it out himself, even a fuse !!!

Could it be that he does know what is wrong and is making a pretence of not knowing to convince you to purchase his amp. Be careful!

Yeah, that could be the case. It's on ebay & he does have good feedback, but I've been bitten before buying an amp unseen, nothing drastic, just a tired old amp needing a service etc when they didn't point it out to me beforehand.
I think I may stick to looking localy so I have peace of mind.

Thanks G :wink:

Hi.

Having second thoughts about the AD30. Thanks for the comments.
However, I do have a local contact for a Marshall DSL 401 Combo mint & virtually unused for ?260
I've read very mixed reports on this range, some great & some pointing to unreliability.
My only past experience is of the 70's Marshalls & not the newer gear.

Any comments on these chaps. :-?

Funnily enough I can ramble on about the DSL 401. I bought a new one which blew up within a couple of weeks. It was then replaced by another which developed dreadful noises coming out of it (not my playing I should add). The amp could not be economically repaired so the shop offered me a refund. I now have a Fender Blues Deville which is flawless.

Thanks for that.
That seems to be the sort of stuff I've read about them.
But as I said, I saw some good stuff on them too.
Is you blues deville the 4x10 ?
I've got an eye on a hot rod deville 4x10.
I know someone who's got one and it sounds great with his 68 335.
The Hot rod range seems to be a well respected industry standard.
Also been looking at old Carlsbro 50 tops & Selmers.
I've got a T&B 50 Ally front Selmer & It's great. But for my 2nd amp I fancied something different.

Cheers G :D

My blues deville is the 2X12 although the 4X10 is equally a great amp. The hotrod devilles are also very well put together amps. Fender are great amps for a clean sound. If you want overdriven sound then you will have to crank up the amp which can be very loud or add a good stompbox. My son plays through a Mesa Boogie nomad. A glorious amp although on the pricey side. Good second-hand ones are not too difficult too find. Try out as many amps as you can and make your choice. One man's meat is another man's poison as they say. All the best in the quest for your cherished box of delights!

I think of the Blues/HR devilles/deluxes as good "semi-pro" amps, better than entry level... sort of the "american standard strat" of the amp world.

The reverb is none-too-good sounding on them, and they are voiced with too much "artificial midrange" to my ears.

That being said, they are an industry standard of sorts right now, and many people are very happy with them until they are ready to 'step up' to a much more expensive boutique or vintage tube amp. For the price they offer a lot of bang for your buck, and whenever they are provided as backline for me, I don't complain.

Man you guys in the UK are so lucky! Why would you even consider a new Fender or Orange when you have a ton of old Orange/Hiwatt/Marshall/Laney/Vox? I'm so jealous it's not even funny. :)

Jim

Just to recap, I'm no way considering a new Orange, Marshall or new anything.
My original post was concerning used gear be it old or more recent.
I totally agree with you when you say, why spend loads on brand new mass produced PCB loaded stuff when there's a wealth of Laney's, Selmer's, Carlsbro's etc, that with regular service & care, will reward you for life.
I picked up a 1968 pre Supergroup Laney plexi head on ebay last year for ?80 & my gigging workhorse Selmer T&B 50 cost me ?100 Three years ago. I also found 70's Orange OR80 2x12 combo in my Freeads paper for ?100 Two years ago. It was in desperate need of TLC, but fortunately the Matamp factory is only 10 miles down the road & they sorted it for ?90, so I know we've got it good in a lot of ways, but can I find a 70's Marshall, Hiwatt or a Vox without breaking my bank or watching ebay 24 hours a day ? Don't think so, cos everyone else's after one as well.

G :roll:

Just to recap, I'm no way considering a new Orange, Marshall or new anything.
My original post was concerning used gear be it old or more recent.
I totally agree with you when you say, why spend loads on brand new mass produced PCB loaded stuff when there's a wealth of Laney's, Selmer's, Carlsbro's etc, that with regular service & care, will reward you for life.
I picked up a 1968 pre Supergroup Laney plexi head on ebay last year for ?80 & my gigging workhorse Selmer T&B 50 cost me ?100 Three years ago. I also found 70's Orange OR80 2x12 combo in my Freeads paper for ?100 Two years ago. It was in desperate need of TLC, but fortunately the Matamp factory is only 10 miles down the road & they sorted it for ?90, so I know we've got it good in a lot of ways, but can I find a 70's Marshall, Hiwatt or a Vox without breaking my bank or watching ebay 24 hours a day ? Don't think so, cos everyone else's after one as well.

G :roll:

Goddardo,

I don't doubt you at all on the Marshall, Vox and Hiwatt "big name" stuff. Sweet deal on that Laney - I'd take a Supergroup over an old Marshall anyday of the week. :) I'm sure WEM Dominators turn up around you guys every so often, too. Guys are willing to pay a gajillion dollars for a Marshall 18-watt when they could get the amp Jimbo ripped off for it for peanuts (relatively speaking of course.)

I ended up getting into amp-building because I couldn't afford the vintage amps I wanted, so when I think of new amps the first thing I think of is their contruction techniques. If you're unsure of what's really wrong with that new Orange I'd only be willing to pay a small amount for it. Working on stuff that's all PC board construction can be an effin' nightmare.

Jim

Latest posts

Back