Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mesa boogie subway rocket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike martin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: mesa boogie subway rocket Reply with quote

any know about these. i believe they are a rarity or so i was told , any how i bought this one yesterday sounds sweet , any advice on the best tubes to fit would be appreciated
mike
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I remember, these were meant as a cheaper or simpler model than their usual MarkI-IV combos. Maybe you'll find some reviews on Ned's Mesa Boogie forum. As for changing tubes I don't care any longer...

Last edited by hans-j?rgen on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
mike martin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone got one of these and had any problem with hissing or problem when switched from rythym to lead to contour like a small thump simmilar to switching on a piece of equipment . any help would be appriciated
brad347
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never played one but most tube amps are similar and that sounds llike a problem with a tube to me.
mike martin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks brad, will try changing them
brad347
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try changing them one at a time! Most probably a preamp tube but all tubes are suspect. It is very unlikely that all tubes are bad at once. If your amp has multiple preamp tubes of the same type (eg 12ax7) then try swapping positions to see if the problem moves. Also, try spraying some de-oxit or other contact cleaner into the tube sockets. Good luck.
mike martin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks brad
will try it tomorrow when i get some new valves(tubes)
brad347
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you probably know this but if it is the power tubes/valves, then change them both, not one at a time.
mike martin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for advice brad , but no joy. changed all tubes pre and power but noise is stil there. will just have to live with it, thanks for all input
brad347
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to live with it... it's probably something very simple, but would be impossible to diagnose without seeing it. If you know a reputable tech he might be able to give you an estimate. Good luck.
coachman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a subway rocket from NEW about 5 year ago-wish i hadn't sold it on.

bought it after a great review from "Guitarist" magazine (UK).

The only criticism in the review was that there is an audible thump when changing channels!!!! What you are describing happened with my amp as well so i presume it was a problem with this model?
mike martin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya coachman
that sounds like what is happenimg to mine, was it just when you switched from rythym to lead as that what it does on mine. its ok when using the footswitch from rythym straight to contour but is still there if you go from rythem to lead with the foot switch. it does not make the thump when going in reverse order, also its not just audible but very loud. i have a tech looking at it just now , he reckons that it sould not be like that, be interesting to hear any other subway users if they have this problem.
thanks coachman
coachman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds the same as mine but i wouldn't say it was that loud.

seems to be a quirk with this amp which is a shame as i found it a brilliant amp and hope to source another one at some point in the future.

coachman
stringkiller
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Mesa Boogie Subway rocket Reply with quote

I had one of these and also a Subway Blues. The Subway Rocket has two channels and the Subway blues has one. I prefer these amps to the Boogie 22 as they stay clean a little more and don't distort as quickly.
I sold the Subway rocket as I did not like the overdribe channel and kept the Subway blues which is great. You can hear it at
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/4089/dream.html and also on one of our CDs Raisin the Bar at http://www.drpickup.com/cdtracks.html
It was the only amp used.
AFter 4 to 6 hour gigs these amps are great to lift up and put away in the car or van.
I used to use either a V Twin or Full tone blue drive pedal but now just go straight. The secret of the Subway blues is the middle control off - the amp stays clean a little louder and fully turned on distorts the amp a little earlier.
Hope this helps - I run mine with Boogie tubes which I change quite often, every six months if I'm using it a lot (Three, four times a week).

If you get a chance to try either the Subway Rocket or the Subway blues you might be very pleasently suprised at finally getting a great amp which you can crank up all theway without blowing everyone off the stage or the bar and great tone without breaking your back or the bank account ;-)
Cheers
Stringkiller
www.drpickup.com
PS the quirk you mention is probably a sign to change the tubes or to wind the overdrive channel gain down a little.
jack in a vox
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got the same amp, the hiss and thump are there at higher volumes. the hiss is more audible at high gain settings..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: