TLC Serial Number Question - third digit

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus

Reaction score
I have seen mention that the third digit in the Tokai Love Rock serial numbers refers to which half of the year the guitar was manufactured in.
For example, 201xxxx indicates a 1982 model made in the first half of the year, while a 202xxxx would have been made later in 1985.

Does this third digit indicator hold true for the Love Rock Custom models. I have seen mention of numbers begining 503xxxx (for more than one guitar). So this would be a 1985 model. Does the 3 in the third digit location indicate a third production run during 1985? Or does the fact that this is a TLC make a difference in the serial number digit indications?
Do the TLS models sometimes have a 3 in the third digit location, perhaps indicating a third production run of the year?

Any info would be appreciated. TIA.

Marcus said:
Do the TLS models sometimes have a 3 in the third digit location, perhaps indicating a third production run of the year? Any info would be appreciated. TIA.
No Marcus, unfortunately, there is no rule re 3 digit of S/N

Thanks for clarifying, togps. For what it's worth, all of the 1985 TLC models showing a serial number in the Registry begin with 503xxxx, so at least it seems I am in good company . . . .

As for the bit about the third digit indicating production runs (at least through 88), I got that off the Tokai Registry FAQ page, which states:

"Love Rocks need to be taken by the first 3 numbers. The 1st number is year 1=81, 2=82, 4=84 ;the 2nd number must be 0 (don't know why) and the 3rd is an indicator of production run 1=1st run(early), 2=2nd run(late). Starting in 1989 this scheme changed to the first 2 digits, 1989= 89xxxxx, 2000=00xxxxx, 2001=01xxxxx The Les Paul reborns have a different style - 77=700xxxx 78=800xxxx 79=900xxxx"

As stated upside there is no exact rules when comes to Tokai thins like you're asking.You'll have to check other cosmetics detaills to help with the year of manufacturate.I've discover that new production Love Rocks made in summer(July end after) have a 1 digit as third number but this is not a comfirmed rule....

Marcus said:
.... and the 3rd is an indicator of production run 1=1st run(early), 2=2nd run(late).
Statements in the Forum are not fixed for centuries.

Since the communication with Tokai is very poor, the quality of the forum lives and grows only with the experience of the forum members. This is a permanent process of developement.

BTW, thanks to all members, which help to rise the level of the Tokai forum, recognition for its international reputation.

Latest posts

Back