Led Zep at Knebworth

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny73

Reaction score
Just sat here watching the Led Zeppelin DVD. Christ its good. The Knebworth show in 1979 is mesmorizing> its such a shame Bonham plugged it. everyone says they were past it as this point, I think they sound on fire. The outfits are a bit crap though they look as though they are acountants on a night off

What a band! :D

Yeah, I had a cross-country flight and back this week and i spent much of it watching the Zeppelin DVD.

I'm impressed by how much better they were live than I gave them credit for. I love Jimmy, but I would always begrudgingly admit that he could be pretty **** sloppy live, especially after seeing things like Live Aid. There was a period there where those reunions were getting downright embarrassing.

One thing I noticed, at the Royal Albert Hall gig, he was playing a 3 pickup, Bigsby outfitted black LP custom (on Bring it on Home at least, maybe others - I didn't watch that whole segment). Does anyone know the history of Jimmy and this axe? I noticed Jeff Beck in the backstage shots, and you can actually see him on the side of the stage during Bring it. Maybe Jimmy borrowed this guitar from him, or one of his other London buddies?

Also, In every shot of his famous lester I saw, both pickups were covered. I picked up a Mojo special Zep edition recently, and there was a shot of (what appeared to be) his #1 with an uncovered bridge pickup in the 1975 timeframe.

Does anyone know the history of Jimmy's pickups? If he primarily played covered humbuckers in his prime, why the uncovered bridge bucker on the reissues?

Hi.

I was there & believe me, it was a highlight of my life. My own sort of Woodstock.
The whole magic of Zep was that playing on the edge element & some times it might have been a bit scrappy, but the highs certainly made up for it.
I was positioned below the mixing tower & got a loud, but balanced, tight sound & that superb woody Les Paul / Marshall sound that Pagey gets on the DVD on Nobody's fault but mine was right there that night.

There was a problem with people throwing full/half full beer cans and nearly injuring somebody, but that was near the front.
It was a double whammy for me cos one of my other favourite players was there that weekend, Todd Rundgren & Utopia..Magical days.

S

jonny73 said:
outfits are a bit crap though they look as though they are acountants on a night off

Jimmy does look like a duffous in that blue shirt and white pants too, doesn't he. Very "80's". He looks generally pretty unhealthy at that show.

Quite a change from his peak in the dragon suits of 73-75 and even 77.

It is really quite striking how their general apperance changed in that time frame. They all look to have aged about ten years between Earls Court and Knebworth.

The black Custom that Jimmy plays at the RAH was apparently his main guitar back when he was a session player. It was stolen somewhere in the States or Canada - I forget.

I love the RAH concert - fantastic stuff! I didn't know Beck was there I'll have to look for him.

Jimmy is the guy who made me want to play the guitar and my favourite period in their career is when they were young and hungry. I could listen to Zeppelin II forever. :)

I love that band so much but I think if John hadn't died they would have flown that thing into the ground. "In Through The Out Door" makes me wince.

Jim

Jim Jones said:
Jimmy is the guy who made me want to play the guitar

He's right up there for me too.

I hadn't quite gotten in to them yet when I started, for some reason when I was 15 back in 1976, I didn't like Robert Plant's voice!

I don't know what I was thinking, but thankfully I got over that and started devouring the Zeppelin catalogue soon after.

I like it all, even In Through the Out Door! Of course, I didn't like it that much when it came out. I remember WHJY in Providence played it in it's entirety shortly before it's release. My older brother, my next door neighbor and I all huddled around a little FM radio listening, and kind of looking at each other going, Wha??!! We thought In the Evening was cool, but everything else went right over our heads. Funny, we're all still relatively serious musicians, too.

Anyway, since then I've learned a lot about guitar and song structure by picking apart the majority of what Jimmy put on record. He's my single biggest influence, and Zeppelin is still my ideal rock band. Nobody's come close before or since, in my opinion.

Here's a little of my homage to Jimmy:

http://www.swampcoolermusic.com/download/LemonSong2.mp3

Nice informational tidbits, too BTW. Thanks!

Haven't seen the entire DVD. Saw parts of it at my son's house in Pittsburgh, but really liked what I saw.

Saw them live in Philadelphia in I think 1970. They were on tour with Free, I believe, and Free did not show up for whatever reason so Led Zep played for THREE hours. Phenomenal.

Latest posts

Back