wiring help for 1981 Tokia LS80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no soul

Reaction score
Ok, so Im an idiot when it comes to electronics,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

tokaiguts.jpg

I know the lead and ground go to the points I circled in pink,
but which one goes to which?

Also, for some stupid reason I took off the points for the pickup toggle switch (as seen circled in yellow) and cant remember which wire goes where...

any help would be great!
Thanks guys!

while you're at it you might as well get some sprague orange drops, gut it, and wire it up the old fashioned way!

brad347 said:
while you're at it you might as well get some sprague orange drops, gut it, and wire it up the old fashioned way!

super tempting, considering my guitar is really more of a players piece than a collecters item because its missing a couple of things,,, but for some odd reason I kinda like the PCB in there....

i think a tokai is a definition of a player's (as opposed to collector's) guitar.

But if you like the PC board, more power to ya. There's no accounting for such things, i'm funny that way myself sometimes.

no soul said:
I know the lead and ground go to the points I circled in pink, but which one goes to which?
The hot wire goes to the lower contact which leads to the green cap.

Also, for some stupid reason I took off the points for the pickup toggle switch (as seen circled in yellow) and cant remember which wire goes where...
From the top: ground, green, red, white

brad347 said:

what do these orange drops do???

i ha\ve plans to get a higher end love rock at some point in the future.... but i currently have an LS85Q and i am always trying to find ways to improve my tone...

would having sprague orange drops make a vast difference in how my colume and tone work???? just now i only have 2 little capacitor/resistor things in the wiring circuit i presume these are just to let the guitar still be heard while the volume is turned down low on the axe.....

i to am a total n00b when it comes to guitar wiring....

cheers in advance guys and gals...

Dave

LoveRocksRule said:
brad347 said:

what do these orange drops do???

they are just caps

Do they change the tone?
Yes, but not as much as say changing your pickup will. Being picky about your caps and pots is really about fine tuning your tone.

hiya lrr
other than pickup changes to alter your tone . i have a cap and resister wired into my VOLUME POT, what that does is when you back the volume of a bit you do not lose any treble. now this set up works great on my 2 springys
i have never tried it on my loverocks but it should work in theory
i havnt tried the orange drops in my loverocks only in my springys, slight dif but not much, there is another cap called a bumble bee but it is a real vintage cap used to be easily got years ago dont know about now but it is bloomin exspensive . used to put them in the old stats probably be ok in loverock but they must be the correct values also you could try putting some cts pots in, i have never had much problem with the pots on my loverocks, i really dont know the make of the ones on the loverocks might be more reliable than the strat ones but i have usually had to change the pots on my springys . and cts ones are reckoned to be the
best

Try this mail order site for electrical upgrades and aged parts etc. I have dealt with them a few times and had great service. http://www.rsguitarworks.net/catalog/index.php

My recently acquired '85 LS80 had lost its circuit board and had some crappy small pots installed so I fitted one of RS's upgrade kits which included 4 CTS pots and new caps.

My guitar needed the historic spec kit which uses shorter shafted pots so measure before you order. I am very pleased with the results and this was only the standard kit they also do a more expensive premium kit with more exotic caps made exclusively for RS Guitarworks.

I have also changed the switch (which was a pretty new budget replacement type) and jack socket for Switchcraft items so that everything in the chain is top quality.

I have also got some sprague orange drops which I will try sometime to see if theres any difference in tone or pot operation. If there is I'll post to let you know!

By the way I fitted a fitted a Seymour Duncan alnico 2 pro neck model pickup in the bridge position as it was the only black open coil pickup I had handy and it sounds great so dont assume that you have to use the necks or bridges in the "correct" location.

The SD measures 7.6K and the Tokai neck pup measures 7.3K so they balance nicely.

The original bridge pup is faulty it gives no reading on the meter and a nasty bright thin tone, the wire had been cut and then joined long ago but the joints appeared sound so can anyone suggest what is wrong with it? A dodgy winding coiltapping itself perhaps?

Hope all this of some interest/use to someone!

Regards

Simon

Back