SRV TOKYO LIVE

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayfair

Reaction score
I found a movie about SRV in TOKYO LIVE

His Look is similiar to the Tokai catalogue
tokai_85-86_electric_front.jpg

uvs051228-002.jpg

uvs051228-001.jpg

Very interesting, thank you! But what is "Tokyo Live", a TV show? I think I have that video, too, if it's his appearance on David Letterman's Late Night Show.

I have upload part of the movie

http://s30.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1BCBEGW446U2J2R8UWT22QLKYF

The file will be available for 7 days or a limited number of downloads

I believe that I have that video ... I haven't watched it for a while, so I don't remember much about it. I'll have to dig it up ...

I do remember that SRV plays a Tokai part of the time!

togps said:
orvilleowner said:
... I do remember that SRV plays a Tokai part of the time!
Are there any pics available?

Sorry! togps, I can't find SRV plays the tokai in the movie , but, He play a white Strat(rosewood fretboard) , but I could not see the brand of the guitar clearly

uvs051231-001.jpg

uvs051231-003.jpg

uvs051231-002.jpg

By the way, for all german users it might be interesting to watch 3SAT today, because they are playing live videos around the clock. Already missed: T. Rex :evil: , Peter Frampton, Toto. Now playing: Norah Jones. Still coming: Queen with Paul Rodgers! Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Stones, Macy Gray et al. 8)

And Happy New Year to everyone!

Hia all SRV used to use a Tokai springy sound.This was belive it or not his main Tokai axe and he played it exstensively.

Happy New Year to you all :lol:

Sorry! togps, I can't find SRV plays the tokai in the movie , but, He play a white Strat(rosewood fretboard) , but I could not see the brand of the guitar clearly

uvs051231-001.jpg

The white Strat you refer to is not a Fender. It was custom made for Stevie by Charley Wirz (deceased founder of Charley's Guitars here in Dallas) and it's headstock is labeled Charley's. Look closely and you'll see that the pickups are single coil lipstick (metal tube) pickups - similar to those you would see in a Danelectro. Also, the white finish is pearlescent and reflects various colors depending on the light direction.

You can still order one thru Charley's - they have one on display in a case and it's very cool. The original is now owned by Stevie's brother Jimmie - as are most of his other guitars and amps.

I remember WAAAAAY back being in the Mountain View branch of JJ's Blues Club watching Duke Robilard playing: three piece rocabilly/blues band. Drums, Upright Bass and him switching between an old Epiphone Regent and a great sounding Strat. Me, my guitar tech and a bunch of other nutcases... My guitar tech leans over during the break and says "nice Strat huh" and I agree whole heartedly, I think Duke was pumping it through and old Blackface Pro Reverb... Then he tells me "it's a totally stock Tokai, he paid like $500.00 for it".... It really was great sounding. But then Duke could make a cereal box with strings on it sound good...

Preforming musicians leave the really gorgeous collector stuff at home, they're afraid it'll get stolen or some drunken sod will accidentally knock it off it's gutiar stand...

Have a Safe And Happy !!!

BigMike
(from very, very wet Pacifica, CA)

orvilleowner said:
I believe that I have that video ... I do remember that SRV plays a Tokai part of the time!

"marcusnieman" is right, the white "strat" is indeed a "Charley's" guitar made in Dallas (where Marcusnieman is!). The guitar is quite unique. Besides the chrome Danelectro lipstick tube pickups, it is a non-tremolo (hard tail) model and it only has two knobs (a volume and a tone?). You can see the back of the guitar in the "Live in Tokyo" video: there's something like a bucking bronco (horse) painted on the back.

You can see "Charley" on the front of SRV's "Couldn't Stand the Weather" album and on the DVD of SRV "Montreux 1985." The Feb 1990 issue of Guitar Player magazine says it was "made from kit parts at Charley's Guitar Shop in 1984." It doesn't say who made the parts, but they certainly put on their own logo decal on the headstock.

Lipstick.jpg

My memory is failing me! I know there is some SRV video that clearly shows him playing a Tokai, but I haven't rediscovered it yet!

I got the Tokyo Video years ago,It's a very well made production,the sound is great.It's got about 8 to 10 songs from memory.
He starts off with Scuttle Buttin and comes out smokin' a pipe,Very cool

I think it's from the same tour that the Live Alive album came from

I'm goig to have to fish it out and have another look
Watto 8)

Back