Borrowing gear at a gig.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutton Steel

Reaction score
I'd like to hear your opinions on the following subject. When your band turns up to do a gig you find that one of the other bands has turned up with very little gear. The guitarist of the other band approaches you and asks can he use your amp? The same goes for the bass player. In fact the bass player even asks if he can play your bass. Your guitar amp is an expensive Mesa Boogie Nomad. The bass amp and cab are ampeg. what do you do?

If I know the players, I might be inclined to let them use my gear. But if I'm using vintage pieces such as my Magnatone 460 or 66 Fender Super Reverb amps, I have no problem whatsoever in saying no - period. I'm not going to risk having speakers blown, knobs twisted off or input jacks loosened by some wanker that "forgot" to bring his gear.

You don't show up to do a job without your tools (unless it's an open mike jam where gear is generally available for jammers)

That's my two cent's worth....

Marcus

Tubes and speakers and etc are expensive. I always either say flatly "no" or offer to rent for $50. That oughtta cover my costs for wear and tear. Not if they blow a speaker of course... f that. Jus say no. The only time I let someone else rent my gear it was a country band that I wasn't too worried about, and they were from out of town, and contacted me ahead of time about it.

If it's on the spot, just say NO

Man, that reminded me of the time I showed up to audition for a band.

I think I did a song or two with them when some other dude shows up and they ask me if he can try out using my guitar and amp!

Well, one guy takes me aside and says that I have the gig if I want it and to let this guy do one song as a favor. I let him. They told him "thanks for coming ..." and I joined the band.

Back