Please help: TST-56

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkaufman

Reaction score
I just purchased an 84/85 gold TST-56 in (cosmetically) near-mint condition. The problem is that it has lots of noise, ie: a very bad hum which gets worse as I turn the tone knobs up, especially past '3'. The hum occurs regardless of the 5-way pickup selector setting, however, in some positions its worse than in others. If I position the guitar in the same plane as the amp speaker, I can make it go away, however, that means that I have to stand sideways. If I stand any other way, the noise is intolerable.

This is my first single-coil guitar and I've heard that single coils can be noisy, however, this is really bad. Is this something that can be fixed? Any recommendations? Other than the noise, I like very much the way it plays. It has a great neck. Is it worth persuing or should I return it?

In addition, there are some tuning/intonation issues which probably can be addressed with a setup, however, I suspect I won't know unless I try.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Michael

take the pickguard off and also the jack plate and see if the ground wire (usually black) is disconnected anywhere.

Everything looks ok inside.

It sounds real nice on my Roland JC-120 (solid state). There's more noise on my Mesa (tube) amp.

Does the noise change if you don't have your hands on the strings or bridge?

What kind of lights do you have? See if the noise changes as you turn them off (or as you turn on and off a Television).

When touching the strings (ie: grounding), there is less noise. I tried turning off the lights, etc and it made no difference.

Thanks.

btw...at the studio, I tried the guitar in many different amps...same deal. Of course, the lighting & other environmental conditions could have been involved.

hi
i would be very surprised if it was anything other than an grounding problem . check all your grounds , and also make sure that the foil under the pickguard is grounded. the eisieast way to do that is solder a bit of wire from the back of the volume pot to the shielding on the rear of the pickguard, be careful not to heat the foil too much or you will mark the pickguard.chek out the wiring diagram Tokai Guitar Registry - Stratocaster Pickup Replacement
mike

make sure not to forget to check the wire that grounds the strings, connected to the tremolo system in the rear cavity and to ground under the pickguard.

Latest posts

Back