Korean Tokai`s vs Epi`s,,,pros and cons

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CocoTone

Reaction score
I`ve recently discovered Tokai guitars, and I`m really impressed with the quality and tone of the Japanese built guitars, but here in Canada they`re almost as much as a Gibson. Which brings me to the Korean alternative. Aside from the obvious, (electronics nad wood choices)which would be a better buy?

CT.

PS...

great site guys,,very informantive!!

I'll admit that I don't know the prices of the MIJ guitars there in Canada, but when comparing the Japanese Retail Prices of the MIJ Tokai to other high-end MIJ guitars (such as Bacchus or Navigator), they are very reasonable.

The quality of many Korean and Chinese guitars has greatly improved over the years, so I'm also interested in hearing about the MIK Tokai guitars.

The MIK Tokais are a very nice guitar. The quality of the workmanship is very consistant and in my opinion is better than than any Epi I've compared them to. Of course my opinion can be seen as slightly biased...;) There are good and bad in all guitar lines, you'll have more quality issues if your line is mass produced in multipal factories. Your best bet, if your able, is to compare them side by side, I'm sure you'd see and feel the difference. A few of the main points in the Tokai vs Epi battle....

Tokai - Made in one factory in Korea = more consistant quality
Epi - Made in many factories in Korea and China = mixed bag, some good, some not so good.

Tokai - Solid mahogany body, two or three piece.
Epi - ??? Many Epis are veneered on the back to appear to be mahogany. They claim to be alder/mahogany.

Tokai - Canadian rock maple neck with bone nut.
Epi - Asian wood neck, plastic nut.

In my opinion every Tokai LP I've played have felt much better than any Epiphone I've tried, again that's just me but I believe Tokai's have better quality. They even look better! :D I don't know about resale value.

The MIC ( Made in China ) MII ( Made in Indonesia ) Tokais are also pretty good and a steal at under ?150 and they can be got in Canada :wink:

I have an Epi SG - it's not a bad guitar - it plays well and sounds good on the bridge pickup. Neck P/Up is more muddy than I'd like, almost to the point of being muffled. It's also let down by a crackly switch and can suffer tuning issues (I don't the machine heads always feel a bit slack).

I'm now looking at an LP and was naturally wary of the Epi version (forget the gibbo badge, they're good but definitely not gibsons).

Tried a Love Rock and I have to say it was 100% better in every department that an epiphone.

IMO Tokai's feel like a quality instrument, they look like a quality instrument and they play like one.

It's a little ironic in that the Epis use the gibosn connection to lend themselves a greater feel of quality, wheras Tokai just don't need that badge.

And believe it or not but the MIK Tokai's here in Canada are $100 - $200 cheaper than the Epiphone's. There is no question in my opinion that the Tokai is by far a superior guitar, the big difference is the quality of wood and the consistant quality. P-up's as well are much better.
I have owned an Epiphone SG and Les Paul Custom (before I knew Tokai existed) and both had problems with the wiring. They must be using monkey's in their factory's because I don't know how you could screw up wiring when that's all you'd do all day. :wink:
My MIK Tokai was a super solid, well crafted guitar that can be bought here in Canada for $600. That's a steal of a deal.

Back