Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LoveRock string height? action!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: LoveRock string height? action! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am debating with a few people with respect to string height/action.

My current string height at the 12th fret is LESS than 1.45mm and i was wondering if that is TOO low, and hence the reason for my fret buzzing problems.

Relief is fine, nut is fine, so i am wondering about action. What are you guys using?

Yannis
Skybone
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does seem a bit on the low side, especially to allow the string to vibrate fully. Does it sound a bit "sitar-y"?

Just had a look at my main LR, and that's set at about 3.5-4mm @ 12th, and even then it buzzes lower down the neck. When I set my guitars up, I never use height references, I set it so that it's comfortable for me to play and so that I try to minimise any buzzes. Same with pickup heights.
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skybone wrote:
That does seem a bit on the low side, especially to allow the string to vibrate fully. Does it sound a bit "sitar-y"?

Just had a look at my main LR, and that's set at about 3.5-4mm @ 12th, and even then it buzzes lower down the neck. When I set my guitars up, I never use height references, I set it so that it's comfortable for me to play and so that I try to minimise any buzzes. Same with pickup heights.

Cheers man. Well it sounds good i suppose, although my main issue is fretbuzz when i fret power chords on the middle of the neck. It came from the factory with the action at low E at less than 1.4mm (bottom of string to top of 12th fret.). So you say its TOO low? Thats good to know, since it was driving me nuts on why i got fretbuzz.
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tokai's factory setup is always rather low for fast noodling, so for my taste and playing style I always have to raise the action.
ScottA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans-j?rgen wrote:
I think Tokai's factory setup is always rather low for fast noodling, so for my taste and playing style I always have to raise the action.

I agree. The new Tokai's I was playing on my Tokyo jaunt had low action, especially at the nut. I would have to have a new nut made on these. I do a lot of bends, and bend up vibrato, and I can't get underneath the strings and really get a good grip if the action is too low.
LoveRocksRule
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:

I agree. The new Tokai's I was playing on my Tokyo jaunt had low action, especially at the nut. I would have to have a new nut made on these. I do a lot of bends, and bend up vibrato, and I can't get underneath the strings and really get a good grip if the action is too low.

surely the nut could just be shimmed to get the correct height and not replaced entirely...

i just measured the action on my LS75Q and on the high strings from the top of 12th fret to the bottom of the high E string is 1.5mm, and on the low E it is about 2mm and i dont get any fret buzz at all...

i play mostly classic rock with lots of pentatonic soloing in all positions on the neck and i havent had any probs with fret buzz, the guitar came straight from tokai setup like this....

i like a nice low action for my style of playing, and this LS75Q i have came setup almost perfect with only a little tweaking needed to get the guitar intonating correctly...

i see ppl saying that their action is about 4 to 5mm @12th fret, that just wouldnt be acceptable for me, maybe for strumming chords, but thats about it, everyone is different i suppose, but i know for sure i wouldnt be comfortable with an action as high as that!!!!
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 2mm E, 1.5mm e sound fine... I got less that 1.4mm E, and less than 1.2mm e. Hence i got buzz when i fret chords in the middle of the neck. But 5mm is too high yes.
stratmoto
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is buzzing around the middle of the neck, it may need some more relief by adjusting the truss rod.

Maybe a small tweak may be in order.

Peter
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratmoto wrote:
If it is buzzing around the middle of the neck, it may need some more relief by adjusting the truss rod.

Maybe a small tweak may be in order.

Peter

Did that already, i added 1/8th of a turn of relief. It only buzzes if i fret on lets say the 8th fret on the EAD strings... so my mechanics knowledge says... too low action, because it used to buzz on the 1-5 frets, but after the relief, it doesnt buzz there, just on the middle of the neck.
stratmoto
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

Makes sense. As you can obviously understand, setup is an interacion of a lot of small adjustments. One thing certainly affects another.

The Dan Erlewine DVD shows him playing it with a capo on the first fret and lowering the action until buzzing just starts. With the capo off, you are fairly well guaranteed to be buzz free. He then twiddles the thumbwheels a bit more to get a low buzz free action.

Maybe you need to come up on the bass side thumbwheel a whisker. I am certainly no shredder, I am probably a reasonable chord banger though and if a barred A or B chord buzzes, I check the neck releif first. About .010" on "F" type guits and .005" ~ .010" on "G" type suits my style.

Finding "your" setup is part of the fun>

Peter
Hutton Steel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neck relief is always the starting point for setting your string height. Put a capo on the first fret. Fret the low E at the fret where the neck joins the body. At the fret which is mid-way between these two points place a business card between the top of the fretwire and the bottom of the string. Adjust your truss rod until the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the fretwire is the same as the business card.

After setting the relief you can adjust your string height to suit. Probably it is best to take the action down until unacceptable buzzing is heard then just raise it slowly until the buzzing is eliminated or an 'acceptable' amount of buzzing is heard. Remember that a slight buzz will probably not sound through your amp. It can be a bit fiddly to get your action right but there is nothing better than a well set-up guitar - there is also nothing worse than a badly set up guitar.

Also, remember never to use the truss rod to adjust action. It should only ever be used to set neck relief. Happy tinkering!
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hutton Steel wrote:
Neck relief is always the starting point for setting your string height. Put a capo on the first fret. Fret the low E at the fret where the neck joins the body. At the fret which is mid-way between these two points place a business card between the top of the fretwire and the bottom of the string. Adjust your truss rod until the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the fretwire is the same as the business card.

After setting the relief you can adjust your string height to suit. Probably it is best to take the action down until unacceptable buzzing is heard then just raise it slowly until the buzzing is eliminated or an 'acceptable' amount of buzzing is heard. Remember that a slight buzz will probably not sound through your amp. It can be a bit fiddly to get your action right but there is nothing better than a well set-up guitar - there is also nothing worse than a badly set up guitar.

Also, remember never to use the truss rod to adjust action. It should only ever be used to set neck relief. Happy tinkering!

Cheers mate,

I ve already did that and i think my relief is spot on now. It is now simply a question of action i think, since 1.4mm on the Bass E , maybe is TOO low for action. I played today an Epi Elitist, and the action was 2.5mm + , and it still buzzed when i played powerchords up on the neck, so maybe its a combination of low action and me beeing to anal about buzzing.

Yannis
JSD
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give this a read for basic guitar setup for this body style.

http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1997/10/tipfile.html
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSD wrote:
Give this a read for basic guitar setup for this body style.

http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1997/10/tipfile.html

Yep thanks man, i already did that, and also bought Erlewine's guitar repair book. . I think i am coming to terms with my action and sound ...todays jam was AWESOME.

BTW i posted about cracked pup mounting rings... the perpetrator was... overtightened screws. I loosed 2 of them about 1 turn or so... and the ring followed better the body contour.
Web Surf
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mid range LP Custom has some fret buzz

It is about 1.5mm on the e at 12th ( Gibson site says 1.1mm min)

and about 2mm on the E at 12th ( Gibson site says 1.9mm min)

Should I raise the bridge ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: