Who makes a decent SG copy in your opinion?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schocker

Reaction score
My GAS continues...

I'm interested in establishing a bit more info regarding good quality SG clones, ie, MIJ, set-neck, etc. So far the likely candidates line up as:

Edwards
Tokai
Epiphone Elite/Elitist
Burny

I can't recall having encountered ads or eBay listings for SGs made by Orville or ObG, Epiphone Japan, Greco or Aria (except for bolt-on neck versions). Of course, there is life outside eBay but it's quite a good source!

At the moment, I'm inclined towards the Edwards, as the Seymour Duncan pickups and bigger neck appeal to me. The Elite/Elitist model apparently has quite a flat, shallow neck profile and those don't float my boat, although obviously in an ideal world I'd be able to try one rather than try and make a judgement through descriptions.

The Tokai would be my second choice by virtue of my appreciation of Tokais generally, its price and the headstock shape! Reservations are that the Edwards may have better pickups and that I may prefer the neck, too. Lots of 'mays' there....

I've never tried a Burny but often see their SGs come up on eBay. They have my respect but I haven't been quite convinced to pull the trigger yet.

Is the 'long neck tenon' issue relevant to SGs?

Anything else I should throw into this discussion?!

Schocker I don't know your budget. But recently Tokai launched a SG155. This model is settled miles over a *G* RI 61.
Spec.:
Body: One Piece Honduras Mahagony
Neck: One Piece Honduras Mahagony Set-Neck
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Bridge: Brass Saddle Bridge
ALU Tailpiece
PUP's: PAF Vintage MKIIN
Pots: CTS
Caps: Springue Orange Drops
Jacks: Switchcraft
Finish: Laquer Finish

:D

Mmmmm! Now that sounds good! Thanks for the tip off.

I'll confess that initially I was thinking of less than the undoubted price of one of those but equally it's nice to know that the SG is being represented at the higher end (not that I'm suggesting the other models aren't good).

Time for me to undertake a little more research...

The 'net is less than forthcoming about this new Tokai temptress...any pictures available anywhere?

Schocker said:
I can't recall having encountered ads or eBay listings for SGs made by Orville or ObG, Epiphone Japan, Greco or Aria (except for bolt-on neck versions).

I'm sure I've seen Orville's and Greco SGs (set necks) on feebay. Same with Explorers, Vs, Firebirds, etc. Seems pretty much if it's a "Gibson" model, there's a "clone" of it by the big Japanese makers.

Being a bit of an SG fan, I've bought a few over the years including:

Orville (Cherry finish, 61 style)
Greco (same as above)
Burny (Black, 60's style with their VH-1 pickups)
Tokai (TV yellow, P90's - SG65 model I believe)

The 61 models both have similar necks - wide but not too deep. Very comfortable. The Burny and Tokai necks are also wide but deeper.

I wasn't happy with the Orville pickups and I put a pair of Seth Lovers in it and it sounds awesome - warm but snarly if you crank them.

The Greco has a very nice tone - but a bit brighter than the Orville.

Of the three humbucker models I have, I'll have to say that the Burny is my favorite. The VH-1 pickups are truly impressive - perhaps the thin body style plays a role. Of notice, the bridge pickup is not shrill at all nor is the neck too muddy. In mid toggle position with a little adjustment of the tone knobs produces an uncanny Angus feel. Just a splendid guitar.

Now the Tokai with the P90's is really impressive too (there was a thread from an earlier post from someone trying to identify a photo of this particular model but only in white). I've not seen any of these on ebay - maybe other than mine when I did a buy it now ($599) from Katana or Hisashi. Aside from how it looks, the biggest compliment I get when I play it out is on it's tone - which I'd have to say is close to my Goldtop with P90's but the pickups are hotter - again maybe due to the body thickness.

Hope that's of some help. Keep your eye's open for the Burnys with the VH-1 pups....you won't be sorry.

Cheers,

Marcus

Thanks, Marcus. All good stuff!

I'm not too keen on P-90s from what I've experienced of them but I think that's possibly due to me being used to humbuckers (more forgiving?!); a friend of mine often quotes the time he tried a P-90 equipped SG which he says had the longest sustain he's ever heard (and he owns 4 Les Pauls...one Gibson and three 'proper' ie MIJ ones! :p ).

This is looking good to me at the moment...

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/chuya-online/142227/417706/418910/

I have an E-SG-80SD which is modelled of the pre 61 SG or same as an sg standard, it is great and according to the tech i took it to a lot better than the real thing. i've had other MIJ guitars and still do but the SG is the best one i've got.

Why buy a copy when you can still get a vintage SG for a reasonable price? The way vintage prices have gone historically, this situation is bound not to last. For instance, I was in the market for something P90 equipped recently: I played a faded LP Junior (sucked, figured I'd have to pay more) so I started looking at McCarty Soapbars. Then I had the thought that I could get "the real thing" and I found a '67 SG Special for about the same price. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find any number of pre 1970 "player" SG's for <$2000. Maybe even <<$2000.

I mean, I love Tokai's, but if I could get a '59 LP for 2X the price of an LS 320, I'd go for the '59 hands down!

maybe in the US, the closest thing i could find when i was looking was an SG special, and frankly compared to the edwards the real thing was more expensive and was of poor quality and finish. I find the jap stuff to be better but thats my opinion, if someone wants to spend 2 grand US on an SG thats fine but not for me.

Scott, I take your point and on an investment level I agree with you.

However, for my purposes, I'd find it hard to justify spending over ?1,000 on an original SG when I could get an Edwards imported for ?500 (including shipping and duty).

Thanks for the input, though. I always appreciate ideas! :)

Schocker said:
This is looking good to me at the moment...

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/chuya-online/142227/417706/418910/

Looks good to me too.... and I concur that for the money (not for the investment), you cannot go wrong with many of Japanese made models - heck, even some of the Korean goods.

I've also noticed here in the states that the Mexican made Fenders have come light years in terms of the quality of their guitars - in particular, the Jimmie Vaughan signature strat (of which he plays live and in studio) is a steal at around $500 bucks. I bought one years ago and right out of the box (action, fit, finish and tone) it is perfect.... my Springy's sound great but this one holds it's own against them - different sound but nonetheless, excellent.

Sure I have a couple of "real deal" vintage US guitars and amps but they stay locked up - for investment purposes. So to me, a suitable alternative are the Tokais, Burnys, Grecos, Orvilles, Edwards and even Univox's that allow me to play a well made guitar with great tone - and still have a few bucks in my pocket.....but again, to each his own.

Happy hunting!

brad347 said:
marcusnieman said:
Sure I have a couple of "real deal" vintage US guitars and amps but they stay locked up - for investment purposes.

:(

That's why I'm talking about "player" condition. I like to have nice valuable instruments, but the bottom line is I bought them to play. I haven't gotten to the point where I would buy something that I didn't want to bring to a club. My SG is structurally sound (vintage SG's are known for neck breaks) sounds fantastic and plays like butter after a new fret job, but it has plenty of cosmetic issues. Some kind of hexagonal pattern on the finish, kind of looks like bubble wrap was pressed against it for some length of time. Also many gashes that look like cymbals were thrown at it!?

I like to fantasize that Pete used it to block stuff that Keith was throwing at him!

:lol:

You know, I've grabbed my lake placid blue 1962 jazzmaster with factory gold hardware by the whammy bar and shaken it against the stage in a storm of feedback many times, and it still looks like it did when I bought it (vg+). I think those old nitro finishes could take a lot more than people think.

It's the most beautiful guitar i've ever seen but I'm not gonna baby it. Leo wouldn't want it that way.

I baby it whenever it's not being played, or when i'm playing at home, but when I step onstage anything is fair game. Music first.

I too am in the market for a copy of a SG Special but i want it for a project because i cannot see modifying an original early 60's SG Special. One thing i have found is i'm having a hard time finding one. This is the model i'm looking for although i'd like to find one in a cherry finish.

usg-p90.jpg

I saw a nice Greco at a receint Vintage Guitar show that i attended and the price was right too at 700 bucks but the neck joint wasn't right for what i needed. So the search continues..................

55.jpg

Hi Lou...

I think I may have already mentioned this to you - I have the exact Tokai SG special you are looking for - but only in TV yellow. Absolutely killer guitar but rare - have you checked directly with any of our Japanese dealers (Ishibashi, etc..) to see if they can get their hands on a white one?

Marcus

Latest posts

Back