What year is this Tokai Love Rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blues Junior

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new, and i need your help to identify this guitar!

10%2011%202005%20024.jpg

And something...i looked in the register and it saids it's 2001, but it surely isn't, cause te guitar was played in the 80's :-?

Here is a front picture:

10%2011%202005%20025.jpg

The Oval 60 sticker on the back of the headstock would imply that you have a LS60 model

The 2 screw truss rod cover implies that the guitar was made in Japan.

Have the tuning pegs been changed to the grover type ?
I can't quite tell from the photo

It could be an '81 model, I have two 1980 Springy Sounds that start with 00.

The tuners have probably been changed, you can tell from the headstock pictures, cause you can see empty holes near each tuner :wink:

hi
could be a 81 see if the pickups are original check the pot cavity, see if the solder has been disturbed. also some times there is info in the neck pickup cavity. also check if trc is original . i have seen 2001 loverocks trc and they are more bullet shaped, but i could be wrong about that, i tried to fit the bell shape trc on my 2002 and 2004 . but i would have had to drill another hole to get it to fit. so you should see another hole under the cover if it is not original
mike

Blues Junior said:
Hi, I'm new, and i need your help to identify this guitar!
Do you wanna buy or sell this guitar ?

Following the S/N (if it is a Tokai) it is definitively a 2001.
Following the sticker it is not. But the sticker is rather to fake as the stamped S/N. AFAIK in 2001 there were no stickers assembled

So, as mike martin already mentioned, there are more features of the guitar needed, to determine it define.

Ahhh, Blues Junior, welcome to the forum. :)

Guys...this guitar is not 2001. because it was owned by a guitarist who played it before 20 years. It' vintage, and i just wanted to be sure what year is it :wink:

More pics:
10%2011%202005%20020.jpg

10%2011%202005%20021.jpg

10%2011%202005%20022.jpg

togps said:
Blues Junior said:
Guys...this guitar is not 2001. because it was owned by a guitarist who played it before 20 years.

I wonder what the guitar player is telling you? :wink:

Man...u are boring. There was this band in Croatia, called YU Grupa, they played in the 80' in ex Yugoslavia, but they don't exist no more. This was the guitar of their guitarist.

"check if trc is original"

...what is trc??

If you do some searching on the forum (instead of calling older forum members boring), you will find many threads about inked serial numbers like yours. The president of Tokai Gakki recently replied that they used these for a while, but couldn't remember why and when exactly. So it's likely that your Love Rock is from 1980 because of the leading 0. It seems that it also has a beautiful one-piece mahogany back which puzzles me everytime I see it on these old "low end" guitars.

Thanks man, that's the answer i wanted! I'm gonna buy this guitar for 500?! It's in excellent condition, and only the tuners have been changed!

hans-j?rgen said:
The president of Tokai Gakki recently replied that they used these for a while .... .

I probably stood on the line, hey?
Google translation for: Ich stand wohl auf der Leitung, was?

Haha, thats funny, even I passed the president of Tokai these questions :oops:

Hey, Hans, did you already received the hca?

togps said:
Haha, thats funny, even I passed the president of Tokai these questions :oops:
Right, shame on you... ;) On the other hand that was the first time I have seen a picture of an inked serial number, too, so it was quite easy to overlook it.

Hey, Hans, did you already received the hca?
What's the hca? :-?

i would say its definetly an 80s model bro....a solid mahogany back would never happen on a 2001 ls60,,...... i have an ls75q and the back on it is 2 pieces.... i think older tokais had better specs than the newer ones..... as i said a 2001 ls60 would never have had a one piece back....... i wish i got an older love rock coz the specs on them are far superior to what they produce nowadays..... but im not sayin that they suck now just the older ones were better IMO......... i'd buy that thing bro thats a good price u gettin it 4 500euros right???

just by looking at that guitar tells me that its from the 80s coz it looks naturally aged..... i dont think its a 2001 model at all definetly 80s dont listen to the ppl who are tellin u different dude...... u got a killer guitar there bro

hi blue
Truss Rod Cover
2001 had a bullut trc, and if it was changed to bell trc it would hav needed
another hole drilled to get it fitted
but i really think that yours is an 81 anyway .500 euros. ggggget it quick or someone might beat you to it
mike

mike martin said:
hi blue
Truss Rod Cover
2001 had a bullut trc, and if it was changed to bell trc it would hav needed
another hole drilled to get it fitted
but i really think that yours is an 81 anyway .500 euros. ggggget it quick or someone might beat you to it
mike

Listen guys...I don't know why do you doubted...I now for sure this is a 80' Love Rock, but i didn't knew the real year, so i asked here! Man I'm gonna love this guitar, the same way i love my 1971. JEN VOX wah wah... 8)

It's definitely an inked serial LS60, which by my reckoning makes it an early 80's Love Rock. How do I know? I've got one very similar.

The tuners look like early 80's Ibanez VelveTunes.

Latest posts

Back