Why could this be a fake??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togps

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.de/TOKAI-SILVER-STAR-RARE-1966-STRAT-COPY-RARE_W0QQitemZ7364290250QQcategoryZ47070QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Not a fake at all. But, what is wrong with this Silver Star?

Smart guys hurry up!!

I'll spend the wiiinnnner a Ma? of beer at the next Octoberfest in Munich.

oktoberfest%20waitress2.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.de/TOKAI-SILVER-STAR-RARE-1966-STRAT-COPY-RARE_W0QQitemZ7364290250QQcategoryZ47070QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ppffffff!!! No bidder.
Aarrghh. Relisted!!! BS!
400 bucks now reduced. Bargain.. come on!
Dumbs, where are you?? $$$$$$ :lol:

BTW, there is still the chance for Forum members to win a Ma? of Bavarian beer.
Prost!

Single ply pickguard.

Sticker does not say "Oldies but Goldies" but rather something else.

Logo looks funny. Other than that, dunno.

I've seen just one of these hi-end 4-bolt '66 Strat copies before, pretty rare. Maybe Ian &/or Ned can correct me here if I'm slightly off, but I seem to remember that "London Barry" (former most prolific poster here, & maybe one of the greatest authorities on Tokai guitars) had one & it was his all time favorite Tokai.

I've dealt with the seller "Shakyboys" = Jim Cornett in Omaha before. I bought my '63 Strat 'replica" Tokai ST60 (pic below) off him (on the 3rd attempt!)

In fact we spoke on the phone, traded around 2 dozen e-mails & became pretty friendly. The packing job & EMS shipping were very good, & the guitar which I bought off him - pic below - (with a new pickguard & WCR Wagner "SR" pickups) is now my definite favorite. It beats not only my 2003 Jeff Beck Strat (also Wagner SR p'ups) but even the original '64 Fender Stratocaster, which I've had since my teens. (More pics of all my guitars - inc. some going back over 30 years - on my homepages : - http://homepage.mac.com/cybercat/ ).

I've no reason to doubt this guitar or seller at all. In fact, if I had any spare cash... :roll:

Treacle.JPG

So folks, time is over. 10 days are left. And it seems I have to sit alone at Octoberfest 2006. Haha, probably not. :wink:

Back to the topic. I agree with the sellers description. Exept:
Serious offers only will be considered... Ser. No. 100637 on the neck plate.
:eek: This is a S/N of a '81 Springy Sound.

But the seller claims a Silver Star not a Springy Sound.
It is exactly a SS60 BB. This Silver Star ( as a '66 copy) was only available in 1982. For this SS60 BB the S/N starts only at 2...
Not at 1... and not at 3... !!

funny...as soon as i saw this on ebay, and after reading the condescending description, i thought of posting a "fake alert" thread here. i didn't do it...someone else beat me to it. come on folks...this headstock does not look like any tokai to me. "Original Contoured Body?" please. and the cut on that headstock looks crappy...i'm just sayin', to me, this doesn't look like the real thing.

The serial number does seem odd. It does not follow the typical Silver Star number with the first digit being the year of manufacture, and the numbers which follow that being apparently sequential. But other than that weirdity, it's a pure SS60. Maybe the serial numbers for this model are simply random as they seem to be on some other Strat replicas, which copied the Fender L series.

By the way, it's "Original COMPUTED Body," not Contoured. Get out that magnifying glass! :wink:

At any rate, wish I had one. But I do have a few cases of echtes Oktoberfest Bier (Paulaner) in the garage, so that will have to do! :D

I 've seen several SS60 advertised as 60 who were not 4 bolt neckplate and not the correct logo,so there is a lot of missinformation between the seller lately....I really would like to own one but they are very scarce....I really love SS36 I had so this is higher specs....

Back