benfits of wrapping strings around the tailpiece????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveRocksRule

Reaction score
can some1 tell me what the benefits of wrapping the strings around the tailpiece like zakk wylde does with his les pauls.... does it make any difference to the tone of the guitar...... i plan on doin this when i get my new love rock sent out... but wanna know other ppls opinions first..

cheerz

There are no real "advantages". It's a personal taste thing.

In theory, if you screw down the tailpiece and do the wrap you'll get better mechanical coupling, more sustain and better tone, plus less string breakage because the break angle over the bridge is quite small. In practice, I didn't really notice much difference.

The strings will feel looser if you do the wrap, so you can either go up a gauge or put up with strings that feel a gauge lower than normal.

The feel of the bridge/tailpiece under your hand is the biggest difference, especially if you rest your hand in that area a lot. I hated it, some like it.

Doing the wrap is an easy experiment and easily reversible, but it will leave marks on your tailpiece where the strings lay.

than x paladin... i thought that it would leave scratches in the tailpiece and if it dont make much differnce then i dont see the point in doin this mod... although ui can apply the cool technique zakk does by strumming the strings at that point in mid riff it sounds bad ***!!!!!!

Every les paul player has done it at some point, and I think it's worth at least trying. You might like the way it feels.

Paladin2019 said:
Every les paul player has done it at some point, and I think it's worth at least trying. You might like the way it feels.

yeah.... i recon i might like the feel cos there will be mch less of an angle between the bridge and the tailpiece meaning your hand will be in a more flatter postition.... i recon i will like this better than standard when u get my tokai back from em(theyve only just reviewvedit"!!!) im gonna restring it like this coz if i dont like it its easily irreversable but i love to expecereemtn with this kinda stuff..,... coz right now my tailpiece is a fair distance from the acctual top of the guitar doin this technique will allow me to screw it all the away down without the strings going resting on the back of the bridge......

Latest posts

Back