Got one last question about orville...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
Ok so orvilles are supposed to have deep joints... but what about this one, it was sold has having a deep joint, I've looked at the pictures, and can see no deep joint/long tenon, and this is a orville by gibson...

http://bluzey.com/inventory/725_orvillelp/index.html

also my main question here is, where can I get info on the several models that orville by gibson had available, I mean I know there are standards, 59 reissues and that the difference between them is the binding, right?

Well what other les paul models does orville by gibson have, 58 reissues, and what are the official names for the models... like why is a 59 reissue a 59 reissue, did orville say so?

brands like edwards have their models delined, but this doesn't happen with orville, I'm a little confused, educate me please.

thanks

You can search the web and come up with a handfull of answers. As with most Japan guitars there are no definative answers. Despite what the various dealers tell you, the best way to learn about Orvilles is to go on ebay once a week and take note of what's there. After awhile you will know what was made and what wasn't.

actually I'm not at all elucidated, because the more I look at auctions and sales the more confused about the different orville models I get, for examplo villager which is used to dealling with orvilles, says there is no such thing as a 58 ri, and I belive him, because I can't seem to find any reason to belive there ever was a 58, but they keep poping up at ebay and other places, being sold as 58's so whoever is buying these guitars as 58's is being mislead, right?

I don't know f it's true or not, but a friend who is selling MIJ guitars on ebay told me there was a lot of fake, especiallly Orville by Gibson and that it was better to be carefull...

yes 20th century boy that looks a very true possibility to me, well at least I know there are people trying to pass orville by gibson standards as 58 reissues... so I wouldn't be surprised at all if people are faking obg's too

Sure, look at from the USA standpoint, you never get to see the guitars beforehand, most people here would not know the difference between a Burny ,Greco , etc were it not for the headstock decal. We see MIJ guitars with Gibson decals on them from time to time. When these guitars were a couple of 100 dollars no one really cared. Now the a RI OBG will bring over 1000 USD there's a lot more incentive. Add to that the fact that in addition to the big 4 there are maybe a dozen other LP copies in Japan that no one in the states ever heard of and it all gets pretty confusing. Bruno, I've owned a fair amount of MIJ lp's over the years for my own amusement. I don't proclaim to be an expert--and I'm not a dealer--but if you want to drop me an email I'll be happy to share my knowledge with you.

oh dear all this confusion...

Orville by Gibson made a copy of the 59 les paul ...I have never seen a 58 mentioned in any ObG catalogues... some ObG do not have long tenon ..but these are few and far between...

the difference between gibson 59 and 58 is really only the neck profile anyway, and most OBG's have a medium fat profile so it doesn't matter what the sellers call them ..they are Les Paul replica's and very nice ones at that......

why on earth would someone fake an ObG when they could just as easily make a Gibson fake, which would be worth more?

all true, but I know many people who would buy a lespaul based mainly on the fact that it would be a 58, exactly due to the neck profile, I see lots of people passing orvilles around as 58's, so I assume there is a number of people buying a orville being sold as 58 because of that...

20 century boy said:
I don't know if it's true or not, but a friend who is selling MIJ guitars on ebay told me there was a lot of fake, especially Orville by Gibson and that it was better to be carefull...

I have seen some fake Gibsons for sale on Ebay (2 recently) ... at least ones where the seller was telling us that they were "doctored" ... where they took a Greco or Orville and changed the headstock inlay to "Gibson."

That makes sense, making fake Gibsons, because they are valuable. Why make a fake Orville by Gibson? They sell for much less than a real Gibson!!

It would be a lot of work to take some MIK Les Paul copy and change it into an Orville by Gibson worth about $600 - $900 ...

It would be too easy to get caught faking the Gibson. Too many telltale details on the real thing. If you took the fake into any music store anywhere in America that sold Gibson someone could spot it. But the Orville ? They wouldn't know what it was to begin with. I look at my Burny's and OBG's and it would not be so hard to turn one into the other.

There are sevral made in japan fakes.I remember Peter Mac discovering at least one Silver Star fake when he was deciphering SS serial numbers.One of the pics I sent to him(a guitar showed in a japanese shop if I recall well) was fake....I have noticed way too much Orvilles latlely....

luis said:
I have noticed way too much Orvilles latlely....

It could just be that they are getting old, maybe in need of fret work, so people are selling them in order to get something newer.

I've seen the used Orville market go hot and cold many times since 1998 when I started watching.

luis said:
There are sevral made in japan fakes.I remember Peter Mac discovering at least one Silver Star fake when he was deciphering SS serial numbers.One of the pics I sent to him(a guitar showed in a japanese shop if I recall well) was fake....I have noticed way too much Orvilles latlely....

Yes, I was wondering too how could they possibly have made so many guitars in 10 years. Also the Korean Orville are reaching some ridiculously high prices with no relation with their quality... :-?

Two years ago you had to wait patiently until you could have one OBG seen,but from less that a year you got a lot of them suddenly...

About my OBG I have to say finish was really good but I dislike neck,I much prefer ES120 neck by far,wider and strong.......It's very notorius I really appraciate ES guitars from Tokai 8) and now they have ES185 on the market...hummmm :wink:

I have small hands so, unfortunately, Tokai and Edwards are not for me...

Tokai LP and Es finishes are splendid, I wish they make slim tapper necks.

20 century boy said:
Yes, I was wondering too how could they possibly have made so many guitars in 10 years.

How many Orvilles were made? I'm sure that monthly rates varied, but it seems that there were months in which over 600 guitars were made, so there could be as many as 72000 in total over the 10 years! That's quite a few.

Also the Korean Orville are reaching some ridiculously high prices with no relation with their quality... :-?

Those Korean models are probably being passed off as Japanese onto unsuspecting buyers! You know, there are web sites out there that say the "K" in the serial number means it was made in November :lol: but of course it means "Korea."

I have small hands so, unfortunately, Tokai and Edwards are not for me...

One of the smallest necks I have ever seen was on a late 70's Dean ML. I couldn't play it, but it sounds like it would be perfect for you!

Back