Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Tokai/Fender "secret"...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Another Tokai/Fender "secret"... Reply with quote

http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=188

WTF?!?

Quote:
Delays And Bad Ads
Cropper’s ’52 reissue was either a prototype or one of the first off the assembly lines. Smith said the Stratocaster reissues weren’t produced until near the end of ’82. It’s possible that the Telecaster reissue appeared in stores before the Strat because it required less work to emulate its vintage appearance.

Advertising for the reissues began in mid 1982, but even there it wasn’t entirely smooth sailing.

“When Fender introduced the vintage series in the earliest vintage replica catalog, it was really rather hilarious,” said George Gruhn. “If you get out a magnifying glass or have good eyesight, and you look at the rear-view picture of the vintage Stratocaster reissue, you can read the brand name on the back of the tuners. It says ‘Tokai’!

“It would appear that Fender didn’t have their own thing ready, and they simply photographed a Tokai vintage replica Strat and either superimposed or stuck the Fender name on the peghead for the catalog and ran with it,” he added. “But sure enough, the tuners say Tokai on them.”

Bacon says Fender apparently wasn’t ready, because it took them several months for most reissues to begin showing up in stores.

“Production was planned to start in 1982 at the factory in Fullerton and at Fender’s newly appointed Japanese factory, Fujigen,” he said. “But the changes at the American factory meant the full range of U.S. versions didn’t appear until early 1983.”

By the way, the Vintage Guitar magazin hosts many excellent articles on their site, they are summarized on the "Brand Pages":

http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/default.asp
Skybone
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!
murthog
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this article with some interest.

Some time ago I bought what was described as a "Tokai Strat with a fender neck". The guitar is in mint condition and the color is exactly the same as Fender Fiesta Red. All of the hardware is gold plated.
I have not seen mention of any Tokai Strats with gold fittings and since the Vintage Re-issue fender Starts were Fiesta red with gold fittings I wonder if it is a hybrid related to this article?
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murthog, sorry I don't have an answer, because I've never seen that Fender catalog. Do you have an issue of it that you could scan?

Anyhow, I searched the Vintage Guitar magazine site with Google today, because their own search doesn't find too many pages. Here's the link to the results with search term "tokai":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Avintageguitar.com+tokai&btnG=Google+Search

That way I found another interesting excerpt from an interview with the Motorhead guitarist Philip Campbell:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/artists/details.asp?ID=160

Quote:
What were you using on the live black-and-white concert video of a ’91 Munich show?
That black Les Paul Custom that I got in ’73. In Germany, somebody came up with a Les Paul Standard, which I used, and I still have it. In the early days, I used a Tokai Love Rock, and I’ve still got that one, too. I actually swapped that for a couple of days with Jimmy Page when we were rehearsing in London. He let me use his #2 Les Paul, the one Joe Walsh gave him.

It seems that Jimmy Page knows what's good, too...

By the way, they closed their forum a few days ago, so the related Google links won't work anymore, and you would have to read the cached Google pages.

[Edit]
Mick Grabham from Procol Harum is another guitarist who likes his Tokai best:

http://www.procolharum.com/rpc_mg1.htm

Quote:
Have you got a favourite guitar?

Depends on what I need it for really. My favourite guitar is a Japanese one, a Tokai copy of the original Flying V: and it's the one I play most.

I never saw you play a Flying V in a Procol Harum setting!

No, no, I never have. I've only had this for about ... I'm saying 'only' ... about fifteen years.

Is that the one in the picture, with a white scratch-plate?

Probably is. It's Japanese, but it's the best Gibson I've ever had. I have done a lot of work on it, it's not as it would have come. They've stopped doing this copy: I always had a thing about the early Flying V, the kind of Albert King model, and ... who did Memphis as an instrumental? That's going to bug the ^&*( out of me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: