Diff between LS120 and 150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raley

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm deciding on getting a Tokai and was wondering what the difference is between the LS120 and the LS150.

I'm aiming for solid(non-flamed) maple top and mahogany body and rosewood finger board so which model is that?

Thanks guys

I think LS120 and LS150 are identical except for the fact that LS120 is Poly finished whereas LS150 is nitro finished or at least i would hope so.

LS 150 does indeed have a nitro finish. LS 150 has better electronics as well--Switchcraft switches and jacks, CTS pots and oil in paper caps (They look exactly like the bumblebees Gibby used way back when.) The LS 150 has a thick flamed maple top whereas the LS 120 has a thin flame maple veneer.

Those are the only differences I'm aware of. The LS 150's lacquer finish and thick maple top alone makes it well worth the money--in my opinion.

PoorMan said:
LS 150 does indeed have a nitro finish. LS 150 has better electronics as well--Switchcraft switches and jacks, CTS pots and oil in paper caps (They look exactly like the bumblebees Gibby used way back when.) The LS 150 has a thick flamed maple top whereas the LS 120 has a thin flame maple veneer.

Those are the only differences I'm aware of. The LS 150's lacquer finish and thick maple top alone makes it well worth the money--in my opinion.

Correction, the LS120F is nitro as well, but as PoorMan said, its veneered flame (nothing wrong with it).

It is very funny that codamusic has the same price for LS150 and LS120!!!!

Problem is... that a shop can easily rip you off by selling you the wrong model at the wrong price, ie, LS80F instead of LS120F or LS150.

does the LS120 have a real maple top under the veneer? or is it just mahogany body and the veneer?

maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking for a guitar that has the same look as slash's one (the one with the cigarrete burn) its like plain carved maple.

something like in a violin finish but no flame. like lets say a ls70 or 75, is the top a full maple cap? and what's the diff between one piece and two piece top?

to me, electronics can be changed so i'm not so particular

If you are in the UK, this model is called LS65, it is plain maple (no flame) and i would guess that violin burst would be the closest to Slash's LP.

The maple cap is solid in EVERY MIJ loverock to my best knowledge, the flame or quilt is just an added veener top on LS70F and LS75Q. This is only cosmetic, it doesnt alter tone, and it doesnt alter the fact that there is a full maple cap beneath the veneer.

hey thanks man!

one more question, how's the neck feel on the tokais, are they all the same because i'm looking for a 59 lp type neck and frets

To me,

I played with 2 LP classics 2 LP stds and an LS75Q. The neck on the Tokai was slightly fatter (or almost the same) as the 50s chunky neck on the 2 std i played and thicker than the LP classics.

Math, you're right the LS 120 is nitro--my bad. I think the LS 75 would be a good choice...it's poly though.

I've only played the LS 150, the neck feels 59ish to me. Nice neck countour.

Veneer tops can affect tone a little. It requires more glue, which can affect resonance. I'm splitting hairs though. I seriously doubt you would notice unless you had 2 guitars side by side.

It sounds like the LS75 is the guitar for you. A great deal at about $670 American including hardcase and shipping.

This might help with the specs of different models...
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/tokai/

I'm very confused about these ls150's.

Apart from the Duncans, Braz board and bound fret ends they are apparently identical in spec to the LS320's.

How are they making these guitars for that price?

Paladin, I don't see any other differences either. Perhaps the LS 320 has higher quality wood? I don't really know. The LS 150 sure is a good deal though.

Paladin2019 said:
Apart from the Duncans, Braz board and bound fret ends they are apparently identical in spec to the LS320's.

and more ...

1. Duncans,
2. Braz board
3. bound fret
4. 4 A Flame maple top instead of 2A-3A Carved Flame Maple Top
5. Honduras Mahagony ( body and neck) (very expensive)
6. Oil condenser CAP III
7. Hard case included

8. I'm not sure about the position marks. Celluloid or Abalone?
villager said:
the 320 's are abalone..

PoorMan said:
Paladin, I don't see any other differences either. Perhaps the LS 320 has higher quality wood? I don't really know. The LS 150 sure is a good deal though.

I was told that the do use honduran mahogany on the ls 150 and the electronics are vintage. You have seen my flame top and its way up there with tons of 3 d movement. I may be wrong, but I think they got a bunch of wood that was'nt up to LS 320 specks and decided to run off a bunch of these LS 150 models. They do come with the same case that the 320's come with. I think they are an incredible bargain. I am getting a LS320 soon and I'm waiting for the pics of the two that will be ready in November. One is in cs and the other is violin.

Mark. :D

thanks for all the help guys.

Its so hard to decide between a nice simple maple top and a flamed out 3D monster.

I think my wallet will have to be the one deciding. haha!

Back