Greco Models/Series Comparison

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grecoEG

Reaction score
Hi all.

I would like to know the differences of quality between high models of EG series from '78 and medium models (EG500-EG900) from '80.

Super Real series are suposed to be the best copies of LP from Greco, but can high models of previous series be better than a EG500 Super Real?

To sumarize: What guitar do you prefer: a '78 EG1000 or a '80 EG500?

Thank you very much for your comments and excuse me for my bad english.

I've read that the Super Real is indeed the best qualitiy and accuracy, and it was made only in 1980. Never had one yet, but I just bought a 1980 Super Real EG1000, it will arrive the next days.

There's a 1978 EG900 on ebay right now. According to the seller it's a copy of a 70s Gibson with 3p body & neck.

No, I can't say that as I didn't have those yet. You would have to check the specs, I think EG500 has poly finish, no fret edge binding, but I'm not sure. And you have to think about how much accuracy in the reproduction you want.

It's always a matter of taste of course, I have had cheap guitars that I liked very much! I Have a Burny from 1978 with not accurate hardware and neck profile, but it's a great guitar ...

grecoEG said:
So, you think that a Super Real EG500 is better than a '78 EG1200?

Depends on what is "better", a eg 1000 use better woods, better wiring, better PU etc ( see skywolf 's post)... than a eg 500. So it's definitely a better instrument. But the early Grecos and even some late models from the 70's are not exact replicas of the american models. So, in a way, that's the good point of the "super real" serie and other insrtuments from that era. The "super real "serie only lasted for a little more than one year, I often see some guitars called "super real" that are not. If it's a Les Paul or a Strat "super real, it's stated on the neck.

OK, I understood. Higher model = best qualty, Different Series (Super Real, Mint, '78, '79...) = more or less accuracy.

Thank you very very much for your answers.

Kind regards.

Pre 1980 greco's were pancake or chambered bodies...if you like that sort of thing then fine ...

Proper LP copies were:

1980/81 super real ..go for EG900 and above
1981 onward Mint Collection ..go for EG59-70 and above ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7357000943&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEFS%3AIT&rd=1

Latest posts

Back