Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cracked Pickup Mounts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pubdoggy
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Cracked Pickup Mounts Reply with quote

Hi.

I've had my LS65 for 2 years and within the past month I've noticed cracks appearing in my Pickup Mounts (neck + bridge). These cracks are forcing the mounts up so they are nearly touching the strings. Has anybody had a similar experience? Can anybody recommend what to do or why this has happened?

Pics attached

Thanks for any advice

S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue Haze
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the Guitar new? The strings look awfly close to the p'up surrounds anyway...could have been replaced with an inferior ones at some time. The only time I have ever seen that was on my Columbus Les Paul copy in 1976!
They are cheap enough to replace, a couple of quid should do it
Spleen
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow Blue Haze! You have a Columbus? My very first guitar was a Columbus Les Paul copy. I still have it! It has a bolt on neck, and the crappiest, most microphonic pickeups ever known to man. I LOVE the way the neck plays on that guitar though. I thought about replacing the electronics and tuners and getting it up to playing standards again but after examining the cost, I bought a brand new tele instead.

My Columbus has seen better days. I accidentally left it overnight in my car in -40 degree weather and the finish cracked vertically all along the body. It looks kinda cool actually, almost like Paul Stanley's Mirror Iceman, but I was horrified at the time.

Do you have any idea on how to determine the age of a Columbus? Mine was bought in England and brought back to Canada and I've never seen another one or heard of anyone who had one before now.

Sorry for the threadjack Pubdoggy.
pubdoggy
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ta. guitar was brand new when I bought in '03. Interesting you should notice the action is so low - that raises a whole new question about set-up...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue Haze
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spleen...No I dont have it anymore! It was a copy of a Black Custom and the neck was very good! The pickup's were single coils stuffed into a double coil sized covers and could pick up radio Luxembourg. It was my first electric Guitar and I loved it anyway, sniff!

pubdoggy, a microscopic action hieght may sound cool , but an action that low causes serious problems with the playability of the Guitar! Those pickups are big magnets...they pull the strings towards them if they are too close to them and kill the sustain! Also I see the pickups are cranked way back into the body...perhaps the back screw tension is pushing the surrounds out causing them to warp and split?
I would always recommend finding a Guitar shop with a tech who does set ups. It can drastically improve your instrument. Its the best 'upgrade' you can give your guitar

Last edited by Blue Haze on Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
brad347
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like extreme temperatures/dryness to me.
pubdoggy
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue - thanks for the advice - I've literally not touched the setup since I bought it - it came like this off the shelf.

Can you explain what you mean by back screw tension?

Also - if you can recommend a good guitar tech in London...

Cheers
Spleen
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Haze wrote:
Spleen...No I dont have it anymore! It was a copy of a Black Custom and the neck was very good! The pickup's were single coils stuffed into a double coil sized covers and could pick up radio Luxembourg. It was my first electric Guitar and I loved it anyway, sniff!

Wow. That is an exact description of my guitar as well!
Blue Haze
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pubdoggy wrote:
Blue - thanks for the advice - I've literally not touched the setup since I bought it - it came like this off the shelf.

Can you explain what you mean by back screw tension?

Also - if you can recommend a good guitar tech in London...

Cheers

I Live near Newcastle in geordieland so I dont know anyone in London who's good and reasonable cost wise, I'll ask some sothern geezers on another forum see what they say.

About the Back tension, if the pups were so far in the body they were hitting the back and pushing the plastic outwards...I dunno...just guessing really from the pictures

luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that crack problem in my LS70 neck pickup ring and I live in a permanently wet enviroment.I glued it with contact cement glue(Superglue).
brad347
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nervous person in me would like to point out that, anyone who plans on gluing the pickup bezels on your guitar with superglue, PLEASE take them off your guitar first
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis wrote:
I had that crack problem in my LS70 neck pickup ring and I live in a permanently wet enviroment.I glued it with contact cement glue(Superglue).

Mine has a small hairline on top (neck pickup ring) and i got constant temp, and that has happened within 40days of playing.
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis wrote:
I had that crack problem in my LS70 neck pickup ring and I live in a permanently wet enviroment.

Your bathroom? I always thought Spain was a very dry area on this continent.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all the country has the same enviroment.Where I live is prety similar to Ireland altough a little warmer....Humidity is between 70-90 % most of the time.
math2014
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as i said i just noticed a very small surface line on the top of my neck pickup ring. I hope it is not the begining of a crack, but maybe its the fact that i pick very close to that position.

I wouldntl think that plastic would crack from environmental changes, wood yes but not plastic. I might be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: