Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest for Early Angus Young Tone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Quest for Early Angus Young Tone Reply with quote

shuie wrote:
I?m amp shopping. I?m looking for a small head that I can use to get close to Angus Young's tone from the High Voltage album. ...

TIA

which high voltage album - the australian one (1974) or the european one (1976)?
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What u need to understand is that Angus's tone on those early albums was his guitar straight into an amp.
We would use the occasional whah pedal...maybe some flanger,phaser or chorus but for the most part it was guitar and amp.
Sometimes for a clean accoustic sound we would plug straight into the board.
So the "secret" tone is the right guitar........right amp AND right playing style.
With the recent advances in amp modelling it's pretty easy to get a closer sound with the aid of effects.
Even the way i get my sound has changed...I run a Zoom G2 through the clean channel on my Marshall and use the effects channel for a solo boost.
The one thing that has remained the same?
The WAY that I play....I'm old school...like Angus...like the Brewster brothers...like Ian Moss.
Soloing around the blues pentatonic scale...crunchy rythym tones...smooth creamy solo tones....and sustain by the truckload.
So basically yes,the equipment does play a small role in the tone...but the key to THE sound is in the playing style.
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from the same era playing pubs in australia what Ozeshin said is spot on.
Angus's sound is really just Angus with a good guitar and amp not like all the mystical BS associated with EVH.
In those days you plugged your fender or gibson or maybe an Ibanez into a marshall and just rocked out using the blues scale.
Usually everyone was too drunk to care about tone and all that stuff.
spikeymikey
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Ozmeister and JS are right with the style thing. Quality gear helps but I think all this schmengulation 'tween guitar and amp and this setup v that setup gets in the way of things a bit. Keep it simple I say. I know Angus uses a humbucker equipped guitar but you can nail that almost clean sustaining tone of his with a Junior and a 20 - 50 watt Marshall head. Try the new smaller hardwired Marshall series and get some power stage distortion going.

Mike.
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to think overdrive rather than distortion...that saturated tone works great if you're after a Steve Vai type of sound(which I think sounds great in his hands) but to get that classic low end WHOOMP it's a vintage valve or handwired amp and humbuckers.
Like I said in an earlier post...for years and years that was my setup...Les Paul or SG straight into a plexi.
Sadly(as we all have experienced) lack of funds and changes to lifestyle(i.e.wife and kids) has meant that all the good stuff I had is gone.
Now it's a Marshall solid state MGDFX50...4x12 Celestion quad ....ZOOM G2 effects modelling and either my Love Rock or Peavey.
It's the closest I can get to the classic sound that I used to cherish
bruno
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definetly the Marshall 18 watts or any clone, especially a 2x12" version is your ticket... plug straight in, use both the guitar and the amp's volume and tone, that's all there is too it.
Guitargoblin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spikeymikey wrote:
I think that the Ozmeister and JS are right with the style thing. Quality gear helps but I think all this schmengulation 'tween guitar and amp and this setup v that setup gets in the way of things a bit. Keep it simple I say. I know Angus uses a humbucker equipped guitar but you can nail that almost clean sustaining tone of his with a Junior and a 20 - 50 watt Marshall head. Try the new smaller hardwired Marshall series and get some power stage distortion going.

Mike.

Good point. I can get very close to Angus' sound with my Juniors. That's also 'cos I'm heavily influenced by the little runt though!
ACY
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
90% fingers, 8% SG, and 2% Amp and Cabinet! But the 2% got to be a Marshall! And the 8% gotta be a good SG with a PAF Style Pickup.

Listen to that "Live in Donington" CD! That?s the hell of a shitty sound! I know that Angus also?s been plying Mesa Boogie for a short while (a guy I know was Tourmanager once on a german tour - he?s guitar player himself) , and that sound on that CD (and DVD) could (should) be that Boogie "mistake"! It?s a way differnet sound I?m used to!

good on ya, "ACY"

P.S.: Love the Angels!!!!!!!!!
Guitargoblin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, his sound on the Razor's Edge tour was way more metallic & hard-edged & strangled than usual. Coulda been his Mesa period. Sounds to me like he was using stock SG Standards with those hot'n'crappy 490 pickups & 300k pots.
I know this ain't a drum forum, but as any connaisseur will tell you, the secret ingredient of AC/DC is a little something called Phil Rudd. When they had baldybonce outta Manfred Mann they sounded more like a generic heavy rock outfit. Baldy hit harder than Phil, but he didn't have the crucial swing factor.
Ps- I love the Angels too, and the Tatts
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go download some Chiorboys stuff...and Noiseworks...Cold Chisel...Chain....kevin borich...john swan(swannee)...all good guitar driven aussie stuff
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your still chasing early AC DC have a look at ballsamps.com go into amps then samples look for trem channel power chords...........Old AC DC or what.......
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually...the rythym guitarist in my band has just bought a Peavey ValveKing.
I gave it a run last night....VERY nice.
You need a tube screamer or a modeller(like my ZOOM) on the clean channel to crunch it up.
That leaves the lead channel for a huge solo boost.
It has that old school crunch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: