Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest for Early Angus Young Tone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuie
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Quest for Early Angus Young Tone Reply with quote

I?m amp shopping. I?m looking for a small head that I can use to get close to Angus Young's tone from the High Voltage album. That real glassy bell like and borderline clean sound, not the later half cranked 100 watt Marshall stuff.

I know the Komet can do it, but that?s out of the question. Too loud, and honestly, it?s too much money.

I put a deposit down on a Zinky blue velvet 25 watt combo this weekend but I think I?m going to either bail out on that deal or flip it quickly. It?s #29 and it?s a really great amp, but it?s not what I set out looking for. Total impulse decision after finding the unexpected and noodling around with it. Neat amp.

I've been looking at the Dr Z specs for the Route 66. I don?t know the circuit or have any experience with the amp, but they must have been shooting for JTM45 tone since it has the KT66 power tubes and the GZ34 rectifier.

Does anyone have any experience with the Dr Z amp? Any recommendations for recreating early Angus Young tone?

TIA
goddardo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Angus young sound Reply with quote

I seem to recall Angus using 70's Marshall JMP Master Volume heads, so why dont you look for one of those, either a 50 or 100watt, depending on the sort of volume you require. Also it's a more authentic way of getting a Marshall sound, to buy a Marshall, also a hell of a lot less expensive than a Dr Z or whatever boutique amps you've been looking at. Plenty on ebay ?350-?500.

G
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, just listening to that album again - lovely... I think it's a SG guitar over a 50 or 100w non-master volume Marshall with solid state rectifier and a 4x12" Marshall cab, probably with G12H30 Celestions. Didn't he invent that sound? Reminds me that I didn't test my 1969 JMP50 combo with my Marshall cab yet...
shuie
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is my absolute favorite guitar tone. I dont know how much any of these guys really reveal about their tone but Ive read several pieces in the guitar rags where Angus says he used a JTM45 for a long time before going to the 100 watt Marshalls at half volume. The two old JTM45s Ive played through could get me real close. The Komet prototypes did to. No surprise there since they were based off of an early JTM45. Also no surprise that the reissue JTM45 that I used to have did not get me close
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the old JTM45 also had a solid state rectifier in the power amp section, but to me it doesn't sound like a tube rectified Marshall, because it doesn't break down early, more like a 100w head. Anyhow, the speakers in the Marshall cab are also very important, that's why I mentioned the Celestion G12H30 which are louder, clearer and "ballsier" than the G12M25 Greenbacks. I have a pair of both in my cab. By the way, still listening to that album...
twango
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember some ACDC interviews through the years...

Angus started out with a JTM45 equipped with KT66, then changed to MR1959, in the 80ies to Marshall 2000 Lead with six 6550 tubes and about 200-250 watt... recordings in the 80ies often with a "little fatty" Studio 15.
In the 90ies he came back to JTM45 RI with 4x12 G12M cab in an isolation box.

I think you can plug Angus with a Stratocaster into a solid state Roland and it will still sound like Angus. It?s his vibrato and his picking attack that makes him sound unique.

I made some very good results with an SG (it was a cheapo Kasuga from the 70ies) and a JTM45 RI that I modified to preamp specs of MR 1959 from ?69/?70. I added a pre-phase-inverter-master too to make the amp more controllable.

Check www.18watt.com (site is down now, but hopefully back soon). These Amps give you a real BIG CHUNKY GREAT POWERAMP DISTORTION !!!

Best regards, Twango
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTM 45's have tube rectifiers (GZ34/5AR4). Totally cranked JTM's have a bit more sag that the solid state rectified 1987's and 1959's but not a whole bunch IMHO. The GZ34/5AR4 is a pretty "stiff" tube rectifier compared to other recto tubes like the 5Y3's used in the tweed Deluxes.

Jim
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 18w,it's the AC/DC sound all there and at reasonable audio levels.I had a JTM45 but I did not use tyoo much because you have to dial it very high to get the good sound out of it(KT66 tubes)....
Loverocker is a great guy to deal for a 18w for sure.Just call him....
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only beef with the 18 watt Marshall circuit is lack of headroom at gigging volumes. The thing a lot of people overlook with the Angus Young sound is just how clean he plays - not much in the way of distortion at all. That's why the JTM's with KT66's sound the best for the style in my opinion.

Jim
Roe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a new user here and a longtime AC/DC fan.

My tip is: talk with greg germino.
I'd suggest:
a jtm 45 (classic 45)
a jtm 50 (club 40 High power with ss rectifier)
a 1967 superlead (fillmore classic)

Speakers:
g12m25s - alien/mcgourty or southbay/scumback - not the celestion RIs
g12h30s - southbay/scumback - not the celestion RIs
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a good start...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-Marshall-Model-1987-JMP-50-Watt-Head_W0QQitemZ7399262455QQcategoryZ38075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Although it's obviously not a JTM45, but they will be even more expensive than this JMP50.
JD
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a MetroAmp JTM-45 clone. [url]www.metroamp.com[/url]
Roe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

route66 doesn't sound like angus. any plexi is better
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up here in Australia playing the same pub rock scene as Angus and AC/DC(still am...no millions for me sadly) and we all used to use either plexi's or the straight 4 input marshalls and we used to overdrive one channel by using a patch lead to bridge the channels.
We used to swap gear all the time...Angels...AC/DC....Cold Chisel...Rose Tattoo...I had a backline of Marshall 4x10 cabs with AC/DC's spray painted logo's all over them...and they had a backline with "THE ANGELS" all over them....ahhhh...them's were the days.
Playing festivals with AC/DC headlining and a cover price of $5(Aud)...that's about 2 quid for you pommies.
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
|
|
|
|
oops...double post

Last edited by Ozeshin on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: