Tone Blues

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutton Steel

Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

Can anyone offer any suggestions to the following problem. When I connect my pedalboard to my amp the tone alters. The amp sounds 'boxy'. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use the effects loop or put the board in line with the guitar. The minute I disconnect the board all tone returns. I would expect a bit of a change with the the board connected but it is altering things too much. Maybe everything needs a good clean!

Guitar: Telecaster
Amp: Fender Blues Deville

Help please!

Hutton

Has this changed lately, or was it always like that? It might be a broken cable or connector for example if the problem came up only recently.

Thanks Hans-Jurgen. As I have now cleaned everything with no difference I'll check cables and connectors by a process of elimination. Hopefully, I'll find the fault.

Regards,
Hutton

Hutton- A lot of effects; both pedals and boards, do not have "true by pass"- that is; when you plug them in, THEY take over some of your amp's sound. To get around this, you'd need to look for effects that say they have "true by pass" feature. Many newer effects have this- older ones don't. Before going and spending a bundle, check cables, batteries, -even try your effects through another amp to see if it has same tone change. It could be your amp; it could have wiring and components that are super sensitive to any out board gear. Do like all of us do, just keep on hunting for that perfect tone...it's out there some where! Hope this helps- Bear

Thanks Bear - The problem has turned out to be a bad connection at the jack socket. All is now well. I can now get back to trying to find that elusive tone that I keep hearing in my head! Hutton

Back