Newbie (sort of) introduction

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JingleJungle

Reaction score
Hiya guys.
Landed here 'cause I have a keen interest for the old (mid 70-80s) japanese replicas / clones.
Besides a sh*tload of "name" stuff (old Fenders, BC Rich, Hamer US) I also own some nice japanese stuff..
My current lineup is the following:
Bacchus:
Rick Nielsen Futura Explorer, Explorer, Vee, Clapton Cut Explorer, maple 'board '60s Strat, rosewood 'board 60s strat
Ibanez:
'78 Iceman IC200 (well, not really a replica, innit?).

The 80s where a heady moment for the japanese... they had understood they could beat the West at it's own game, and we all know what happened afterwards... They re-engineerd the automotive industry (Lexus, etc..), jumpstarted the consumer electronics market (Sony, Panasonic, etc) and purchased some of the best wood on the planet, which eventually found it's way in our beloved guitties, crafted by the fine and obsessive hands of japanese luthiers.

I truly believe that some of these copies can easily compete with the "Big G" as far as tone, playability and price factor (that's easy).

Anyway, before I retire to the other forums I inhabit I'd like you all to know that I am looking for some nice Tokai and Bacchus replicas of: Gibson SG, Firebird, LP Junior / Special, 335, ES175 (or other archtops).
I also dig the old Ibanez lawsuits and odd models: Agent, Bob Weir, Iceman, tree-of-life doublenecks, Explorer, Vee.

Talk to you soon...enjoy music!

Paul
aka JingleJungle

JingleJungle said:
Anyway, before I retire to the other forums I inhabit I'd like you all to know that I am looking for some nice Tokai and Bacchus replicas of: Gibson SG, Firebird, LP Junior / Special, 335, ES175 (or other archtops).
Welcome to you, too! What's up with all those Swiss users lately, has their country joined the EU or something? ;) Those "other Gibson copies" can be found quite regularly on ebay.com/co.uk/.de at the moment, but most of them are Korean versions which I've never tested.

Hah!
Actually I'm sitting pretty close to the italian border and all my 6 string trafficking actually occurs between Italy and the US or between Italy and Germany (I represent Nik Huber Guitars in Italy).

I'm really not into the modern korean stuff, I'd like to ofind the old copycat replicas... like that beautiful Ibanez L5 CES currently on eBay in the US.

And it seems to me that the odd stuff - Firebirds, LP Juniors / Specials, etc are not THAT easy to come by.
I just got a beautiful 75 Ibanez Explorer in the hands of a mate in London.
We were both blown away by the tone of that thing (DESPITE the multi layer sandwich-LEGO wood assembly of the body) - they just don't build 'em like this anymore.
No sir...

JJ

just wondering how you came across a Bacchus way over there? I have a few but got em all here in Japan. Pretty sure they don`t get exported.

Latest posts

Back