MIK explorer - any good?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzz face

Reaction score
I have GAS for an explorer after borrowing my mates Orville Explorer. I really want a Korina Hamer Standard, but not got the dollars for it right now.

I know these tokais are not Korina/white limba, and that's fine, but are they sandwich bodies like the epiphones or a couple of solid peices?

I would do a complete overhaul so I don't care if pickups, electrics or hardware sucks as they wont be on it long enoug to matter.

Basically, is the wood/neck shape any good? And do they pile on 2 inches of thick poly (like my mate's orville) or is it that good thin otherpoly stuff that I read they put on the MIJ tokais?

I have two old tokai strats and I rate them incredibly highly, and I used to have an old love rock that gave my historics a run for their money, but I've alwys looked at these MIK stuff as very 2nd rate (without playing one...)..

thanks guys in advance for any feedback..

I really liked the one I had. Got it in 2004 from the UK guy bob4tokai. Cost a fortune to buy in the states. Body is multi piece , couldn't tell you what it was made of. Nice weight. The neck was fantastic, kid of a wide/thin profile with excellent fret work. Pickups sucked. The guitar is very bright, I put Gibson 490/498 's in and it was still bright. Not too much poly on the finish. MusicGround will often deal on them , so give them a shout. Bought a hard case for mine , I think I had about $1000USD in it. When I sold it I got $500USD for it.

Fuzz face said:
I know these tokais are not Korina/white limba, and that's fine, but are they sandwich bodies like the epiphones or a couple of solid peices?
I recently posted a Tokai Korina Explorer (EX55?) in the Ebay alerts board, maybe it's still available.

Latest posts

Back