Goldtstar model Ident.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikeymikey

Reaction score
Hi you guy's. I,m getting a goldstar next week with the 'L' serial number possibly an '84 issue. If it turns out to be more than a run of the mill model what do I look for - any number on the fretboard etc.? I'm not too clued up on these.

Cheers,

Mike.

The L serial won't tell you anything about date (only about which US Fender it's supposed to be copying). Be wary of the 1984 date - almost everyone who has a Goldstar tries to claim it's as old as possible, and 84 is earliest possible date for modern style logo (most of those guitars are much newer). Only the earlier Springysounds have model number impressed into fretboard (& afaik only the pre 1980 Springys). May have model number ink-stamped in body cavities or neck pocket. Otherwise pickup codes were different for different models, ie U,V,E etc. (do a search on that). ST50 almost always 3-piece body... ST60 mostly 2-piece ... ST80 & above mostly 1-piece. :-?

Ian.

Thanks guys - I'll do some homework. This is another picture trade with a dealer so I can choose some other stuff if I dont like it. He's got a nice ES120 natural and a McCarty soapbar but I really would like a Strat of sorts with a rosewood board.You cant date by the logo style?

Yes you can date by the logo, but not after 1984. Before 84 you had thin spaghetti logo (7okai) from 78 until 82, then in 83 a distintive block logo which only lasted until beginning of 84, and somewhere between 83 & 84 there was a rare fat script 7okai logo. But in 84 they changed to the type of logo you have today ... it's possible that logo may have changed slightly between 84 & recent times, but afaik any such changes are undocumented. :-?

Ian.

Cheers Ian - that all helps! Its serial No. is L-05785 - any use? I'll watch my step on this one. Is your Tele a breezysound?

No, sad to say it's a US Fender :roll: . The L serial just tells you it's a copy of the early 1960's US Fenders ... should have rosewood fretboard & 11-screw pickguard). :-?

Ian.

Latest posts

Back