Gibson Comes After Tokai...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This happened last year and has already been settled.

BTW- Gibson is aware of this web site and is amazed that anyone would do something like this for free. Shows how much Gibson just doesn't "get it" when it comes to great guitars and the people that play them.

Which reminds me, there are expenses involved in keep this site up and running. Thanks to our sponser JSD these costs are a non issue and we now break even. Please support JSD.

ned said:
Were there any agreements between Gibson and Tokai outside of the court?

BTW- Gibson is aware of this web site and is amazed that anyone would do something like this for free. Shows how much Gibson just doesn't "get it" when it comes to great guitars and the people that play them.
:D LOL

Which reminds me, there are expenses involved in keep this site up and running. Thanks to our sponser JSD these costs are a non issue and we now break even. Please support JSD.
All hail to Canadian Love Rocks! :wink:

I found an interview with Kevin Bolembach, president of Godlyke distributing with a small paragraph about their relationship with Tokai:

http://www.musicgearsource.com/kevin.html

ned said:

I looked, but couldn't find it: what was the settlement?

I hope you don't mind answering! :)

I do know that Gibson lost their recent suit against Fernandes/Burny.

togps said:
Orvilleowner, let me know please.

You got it. Check out this link (scroll down 60% of the way):
http://law.vanderbilt.edu/journal/34-03/Port.htm

"Gibson Guitar Corporation sued its rival, Fernandes, K.K., for trademark infringement, dilution, and unfair competition. Fernandes conceded that it had intentionally ?referred to? Gibson?s Les Paul guitar but that by the mid-1990s the shape of the guitar had essentially become generic in Japan. The Tokyo District Court held in favor of Fernandes and Gibson appealed."

Gibson Guitar Corporation v. Fernandes, K.K., 1719 Hanrei Jihō 122 (Tokyo High Ct., Feb. 24, 2000)

I had no idea that JSD was a sponsor for this awesome website. Looks like I will have to buy a few more guitars from them. JSD is # 1 in my books. "Long Live The Love Rock."

Back