confused about an Orville es-335

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemachus

Reaction score
I've found an Orville es-335 for sale on ebay but i'm a little cofused as to what exactly it is. The seller claims it was made in 1996 (i'd previously believed Orvilles ceased production in 93 to become the Elitist range of epiphones), and while the headstock doesn't display the "by gibson" moniker it the internal sticker on it does:

18_12_sb.JPG

Does anyone have any idea wether this is a Japanese made Orville as the only serial guide i've found lists any six figure serial beginning with "6" as an 86 model (the serial on the ebay guitar as shown on the picture is J607006)

Any suggestions much apreciated, I can't find much info on any Orvilles post 93.

I have a friend with an '86 Orville.I got very surprised as Orville begun production "oficially" in '88 as 20 Century says.There can be some pre-production models as far as JV series from Fender Japan in '82-84 era.
Headstock logo inlay were slightly different(more redish) than a '92 I saw.

Luis, I got that info from the Gibson japan site so I think it could be considerated as reliable. Are you sur you're friend's guit' is not from 96?
On the site they said first models were issued at the end of 87 if I remember well.

Ah thanks for that information, I hadn't realised Orvilles were still being made so late, were these later ones still made in Japan at the same plant or were they shifted to Korea do you know? I'm also a little confused by the "By Gibson" tag not being present on the headstock but on the sticker inside the hollow body, i'm unsure wether it's a Orville or Orville by Gibson model.

a few Orville were made in Korea in 96 but they have no Serial Number.
The only way to know if it's a ObG or just O would be to look at the pick up as it's the only difference. :)

Cheers for the advice all, you're probably right on the sticker/headstock side of it, I just don't know enough about identifying Japanese models to gamble on one without a solid headstock/serial indication.

taks got a nice one for sale ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38085&item=7337222927&rd=1

i would have had it meself but I have too many 335's at the mo..

Back