Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uncertain about my Burny...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new models in my catalog have 3 screws and precisely when the change from 2 was made I`m not sure.
larseko
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I wrote a long e-mail to the fellow selling me the guitar, and got a fairly informative answer back. He seems to be quite knowledgeable about these guitars (and should be, since he imports them regularly second hand from a shop in Japan), and I think I'll settle with that, but it would be ok with some objective opinions too... So basically he is saying:

- Burny produced a range of models from LPS-40 up to LPS-110 in Japan. These were standard '59 replicas. In addition there were some master built models that are more rare.

- Burny never had their own factory, but has had their instrumenst produced in several factories. Until 1980 they were produced at Fuji gen Gakki and Tokai Gakki(?), while they later were produced mostly at Nippon Gakki and Matsumuko when Fernandes took over.

- Burny had bell shaped trussrod cover througout 1980, while Greco used it throughout 1981. After this Burny added the ridges.

- Multiple piece body and neck is not unusual on the Japanese guitars - including the higher end models.

- He dates my guitar around the middle of the eighties and produced on the Nippon Gakki. It is laminated in much the same way as Yamaha SL (Studio Lord) and has umbraco truss rod adjustment.

- The model, he says, is LPS-55F, suggesting a 55k yen price in the year of production and "F" for the flamed "sycamore" (I think?) maple top. This is a real flamed maple top, and not photo laminate(?). I think that looks so too, but I'm no expert.

- He claims that intonation- and setup problems aren't uncommon on these guitars. Bridge studs can have changed under the pressure of strings, etc, wood is dynamic etc.

- The LPS-95/100-models were priced at about 50% more at the same time.

I haven't got the answer on the three trussrodcover screws, though...?

So should I still worry about this? If this is right, I have no problems using this guitar. It is alright, but I was worried about that fretboard business. The intonation problem isn't really a big one... I don't go far up on the bass e anyway.

This is actually a bit fun too, learning about all these guitars...
larseko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakyjapan wrote:
the new models in my catalog have 3 screws and precisely when the change from 2 was made I`m not sure.

What do you mean by "new" models? 2005?

By the way, it doesn't look like there has been a mushroom-shaped trussrod cover on the headstock, as the screw holes doesn't look like they have the same exact same placement... and it is not a modified 2-screw ridge-trussrod cover either, since the shape is different, especially at the top...

Hm. Did anyone see a LPS-55F in any catalogue? Is it possible to get any of those catalogues from the eighties?
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far back as 1997 they had 3 screws. I don`t have catalogs going back further than that.
The seller is right about the 55, many Japanese makers include the price in the model number, so it would have sold for 55,000 minus the standard 20% off list shops give in Japan. So, yes the 95 and 100 models would have sold for more.
Not sure about how common multi piece bodies are on higher end models... the upper level MIJs from the 70s and 80s that I have are 2 or 3 pieces... I suppose we could define 3 as multi. I`ve seen some older Greco 900 and up models with one piece bodies.
If you like the guitar...why worry? `course the intonation thing is not good though.
larseko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakyjapan wrote:

If you like the guitar...why worry? `course the intonation thing is not good though.

I keep telling me that myself, but when you first get that sneaking thought into your head, it is nice to get it away! Anyway, the seller claimed that the intonation problem also was fairly common on guitars with that vintage tuneomatic-bridge and recommendet I got one of those Nashville style modern bridges, which has got some more room for adjustment. He claimed to have done this to solve the same problem on difficult guitars, customshop Japanese as well as on old Gibsons...
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what it is, but I know what it isn't...MIJ! Get a refund! TG
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this Wizard wants to sell you a new bridge? What a load of Crap! Refund and then get a Tokai from a reputable individual. It's a shame the way some people do buisness. Guitar Center is now trying to sell stuff on EBay at "INFLATED PRICES" ...68' Pelham Blue Melody Maker 1, bidding starts at $1400?! We should just deal amongst ourselves! God I hate GC! Much Love,TG
larseko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokaiguy wrote:
I don't know what it is, but I know what it isn't...MIJ! Get a refund! TG

Why are you so sure? From other people I hear it is very, very difficult to date a Burny...? There have been made countless models over the years, at different factories..? Shouldn't surprise any if some trussrod covers were different etc at some stage? Or?

And this LPS model numbering, isn't that a Tokai prefix, actually? I've just seen RLG etc., and now I hear FLG, for Burnys.

Last edited by larseko on Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
larseko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokaiguy wrote:
So this Wizard wants to sell you a new bridge? What a load of Crap! Refund and then get a Tokai from a reputable individual. It's a shame the way some people do buisness. Guitar Center is now trying to sell stuff on EBay at "INFLATED PRICES" ...68' Pelham Blue Melody Maker 1, bidding starts at $1400?! We should just deal amongst ourselves! God I hate GC! Much Love,TG

He didn't offer me a bridge, just suggested that as a way of fixing that problem...
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TRC, the cream plastic, the fact that there is no wood where the rod comes out of the neck, no seriel #, the photo flame top...Don't get me wrong, if you like it fine! Just know you got taken! There are many fine Korean guitars I have a Korean made SG that I prefer to my MIJ. You shouldn't be dealing with the uncertanty, the intonation problems ,dead spots on a new instrument that you paid good money for! He sold you on the fact that it is something it isn't, if your'e OK with that ...then so am I But I don't think you sound satisfied with the end product. TG
larseko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokaiguy wrote:
The TRC, the cream plastic, the fact that there is no wood where the rod comes out of the neck, no seriel #, the photo flame top...Don't get me wrong, if you like it fine! Just know you got taken! There are many fine Korean guitars I have a Korean made SG that I prefer to my MIJ. You shouldn't be dealing with the uncertanty, the intonation problems ,dead spots on a new instrument that you paid good money for! He sold you on the fact that it is something it isn't, if your'e OK with that ...then so am I But I don't think you sound satisfied with the end product. TG

No, I'm not OK about being fooled into buying something that isn't what it should be... but the photo flame, you think it is? I didn't think it was, but who am I to tell, that's why I ask... aren't the photo flames usually a bit, uhm, more? Not this discrete (not sure what word to use... this isn't the most figured maple I've seen, although pretty symmetrical).

... :-|
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have not been dealt with in a way that you feel confident, it is your right to feel great about this purchase! All I'm saying is If you have any misgivings they are probably Right! Trust Yourself, you deserve peace of mind! I'm just a Texas Boy and I like a fair deal , a win/win... but I don't take any Bullsh*t. Good Luck , I hope this all works out! TG
larseko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. By the way, the seller corrected his model numbering to RLG-55F(s?)... (after I asked if not LPS actually is a Tokai way of numbering).
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might tend to think the same way tokaiguy do...
If you arrive to the conclusion that it's not a MIJ, You should claim for money back.

Last edited by 20 century boy on Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
larseko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the records, it's not photoflames.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: