Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uncertain about my Burny...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larseko
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Uncertain about my Burny... Reply with quote

Hi,

last autumn I bought a Burny Super Grade supposedly from 1983 and MIJ. As I hadn't done my research properly, I believed the guy who sold it to me, but after some closer inspection and googling I realised not everything was as it should be.

First of all, the trussrod cover has got three screws and the ridges on the side. Second, the body is three-piece, and the neck is a two-piece neck. Third, when I brought the guitar to a guitar tech to get it intonated a month ago (yes, all too late!) the bridge appears to have been mounted some millimetres too close to the neck, making it impossible to intonate the low e-string 100% without relocating the bridge. Fourth, the fingerboard/neck is put on in a hurry, according to the same guitar tech, making it hard not to get dead spots on the 19.-22. frets. At least when the frets are filed down evenly. He would have to file a lot of the uppermost frets to get away with the last dead spots...

I have some pics here:
http://www.restless.no/Members/larseko/burny-lp59-sg1983/

My question is what did I actually buy here? Alright, the guitar works and plays alright, but I find it annoying that I can't intonate it and have dead spots or what you call it. Is this actually made in Korea? A bad batch? Of course, I paid quite an amount for this guitar because I believed it to be a Japan model, as I'm not a very experienced player.

Last edited by larseko on Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that would have to be the cleanest 1983 guitar I`ve ever seen. The Suoer Grades have been reissued, there some in the local pawn shop...occasionally they get new stuff too and the ones they have are new. Are the electronics as sparkly clean as the rest of the guitar?
I don`t have catalogs going back to 1983 but these days only the high end models are MIJ, the others are not.
Lots of folks are trying to take advantage of the fact that players are looking for older MIJs, so buyer beware...happening a lot in Japan too. We really have to be careful these days. So kids, the lesson of this thread is... do your homework eh.
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don?t know anything about Burny & can?t say what?s right or wrong on those guitars, & for me that applies to most MIJ brands . Thanks to Ned, & early contributors like Peter, Loverocker, & Supernout, this Forum provides much more detail on Tokai ? even apart from Tokai quality, it?s also much easier to identify exactly what you are buying (especially on vintage examples) .

Ian.
ToneTimes2
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Burnys made in the Fuji Gen Gakki plant in Japan had fret-edge binding, which seems to be missing from your example. They were for a short time made in the Tokai Gakki plant, so that is a possibility, however I doubt that any Japanese manufacturer would make the mistakes you mentioned.

My guess is that it's a Korean guitar, or even more likely, Chinese.
larseko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the replies! I'll definitely confront the seller with these things. Since I bought it here in Norway, I have 2 years to make claims because of defects etc. And this is a fraud, as he actually sold it as a MIJ Model. It wasn't cheap either, so I'll try to follow this up. But I don't find it very pleasant. That's for sure. Will try to keep a friendly tone at first, though.

I'll probably post about my very strange Burny SG as well!

Best regards,

Lars Erik
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A '83 Burny should have a bell trussrod cover.I had two 80's with that ones with no serial number at all and they were japanese for sure.That 3 screws covers seems new late 90's-200's to me.
Be aware about new Burnys as only RLG-90 is from Japan.I'd apply same rule as Tokais: something new under 70 is not japanese.
larseko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And sneakyjapan, that's right, the electronics are clean. Not noisy, anyway. There's no fret binding.

Tonetimes: Do you really think it could be Chinese? Wouldn't it have one of those palace/mushroom shaped trussrod covers then?

Argh. Annoying business.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLG-90, RLC-100 RSA-100 RSG-75 and RTV-70 are also MIJ.
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToneTimes2 wrote:
The Burnys made in the Fuji Gen Gakki plant in Japan had fret-edge binding,

The moste expensive MIJ models have but many MIJ models have not.
ToneTimes2
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larseko wrote:

Tonetimes: Do you really think it could be Chinese? Wouldn't it have one of those palace/mushroom shaped trussrod covers then?

The trussrod cover would be easy to replace. That trussrod cover is somewhat consistant with a late 80's/90's one but it's cut off at the nut to allow it to fit from what I see.
ToneTimes2
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 century boy wrote:
ToneTimes2 wrote:
The Burnys made in the Fuji Gen Gakki plant in Japan had fret-edge binding,

The moste expensive MIJ models have but many MIJ models have not.

I wouldn't call my 90s RLC-75 one of their most expensive models and it has it. I've actually never seen a mij Burny that did not have it. You may be right though.
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '78 Burny GT doesn't have fret-edge binding.

Jim
larseko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Gibson GT have it?
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much any Gibson I've ever played has the fret-edge binding, aside from the lower priced models like Juniors. Don't get too hung up on the binding covering the frets - I don't think it's that big of a deal myself. It does look classy though. OK, I like how it feels, too.

My biggest concern with your guitar is the trussrod cover. That shape I believe is correct for the mid 80's, but if I'm not mistaken the MIJ model only had two screws, not three. I might be wrong there... I believe if indeed MIJ, the trussrod cover should look like this:

Another concern is the creme coloured control cavity covers on the back of the guitar. I'd expect those to be black.

I think the guitar looks fantastic, bummer about the bridge situation, though, I'm kinda surprised by that.

Jim
larseko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim: Yes, that trussrod cover is what worries me too. And it's not only the shape. As you say there are two screws on the MIJ ones, but three here. In fact, a 2-screw trc wouldn't fit, as there is no wood where the lower screw should go! So the trussrod appearently is not covered by any wood at all! (Not 100% sure here, but I suspect the only thing covering it is the nut and the fretboard. This makes sense, as it would simplifly the construction process, or what?

And yes, it's a shame, because I think the guitar looks great, but I really paid a bit (could almost have bought a secondhand LP Studio for the same amount of money in Norway, and that with a case). I will confront the seller tonight, when I get the guts to push the send-button.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: