LS 120 at Ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful looking guitar ? tempting, ? but I already have too many Les Pauls, & I mainly play a Tele anyway :-? .

Ian.

Hans-
I'm missing one '81 Love Rock from my collection (from Germany)
:wink:

Bitte verkauft Ihre feine Gitarre zu mir.

Ich habe nie erw?hnt, dass ich eine gro?e fliegende vee Sammlung auch- habe

I'd rather give my left nut -oops right nut than give up my LS 120's

ochay said:
Hans-
I'm missing one '81 Love Rock from my collection (from Germany)
:wink:
Bitte verkauft Ihre feine Gitarre zu mir.
:D Forget it... :p It really has become my main guitar during the last weeks while testing pickups etc.

hans-j?rgen said:
Someone made a bargain yesterday evening... :eek:

Hi out there, don't know if it was a bargain... 8) 8) , but this baby screams!!

Needed much TLC ...!! Previous owner sent it ragged

Greetings, Hot Rod :wink:

What did you have to do, neck adjustment, string height etc. or something else like new frets? By the way, welcome to the forum and congratulations again for your steal! :wink:

hans-j?rgen said:
What did you have to do, neck adjustment, string height etc. or something else like new frets? By the way, welcome to the forum and congratulations again for your steal! :wink:

Hello, thanks !
nice to meet maniacs like me talkin away on old guitars!! :lol:

I had to do a big TLC Job, and in the end this little beast has turned into a beautiful swan. Came with original hard case (the brown one with pink interieur) and original warranty card. :lol: :lol:

Plugged in this baby screams and easily blew away my 76' Ibanez Les Paul Custom ( Mod 2650 set neck with Rio Grande Pafs) and even my friend's 2002 LS80 Goldtop! :eek: :eek:

What Kind of PUs are normally built into a 82' LS 120 ?? They sound fantastic...!!! :wink:

Further questions ....!!

The registry says 100's had Dimarzio PAF's and the 150 had a Dimarzio PAF and a Super D. Doesn't mention the 120??

I'm absolutely no help :lol:

Hot Rod said:
Plugged in this baby screams and easily blew away my 76' Ibanez Les Paul Custom ( Mod 2650 set neck with Rio Grande Pafs) and even my friend's 2002 LS80 Goldtop! :eek: :eek:
Yes, I know what you mean... :wink:

What Kind of PUs are normally built into a 82' LS 120 ?? They sound fantastic...!!! :wink:
On yours and togps' pictures both have covers, so it's probably not DiMarzio, but either Seymour Duncan '59 or Tokai (= Gotoh) PAFs. Though QuattroSte is right, because this is the info you can also draw from the "Early Tokai models" catalogue in English on the main site which seems to have been printed in 1986. There is a Japanese catalogue version from 1981, too, where the LS 120 is listed, but I can't figure out what pickups they mention there. My LS 120 from 1981 didn't have the original pickups either, because the first owner had put them into his Gibson Heritage and swapped them with its Shaw PAFs which sound very good, too. Do you have an ohm meter to measure their impedance perhaps? Or did you take them out yet and look at the bottom base plate?

togps said:
There are DiMarzio?s inside.
Interesting, so they came with covers? Usually old DiMarzio pickups don't have covers, so I thought they may be Seymour Duncans. Did you take them out at same time? Anyhow, since they both have normal pole pieces, these should be both PAFs then (great pickup in my opinion), not Super Distortions with hex pole pieces.

Thanks, very interesting! Though to me it looks like someone (probably at the Tokai factory) has soldered the covers onto the originally uncovered PAFs because of the rather crude solder joints (which is a difficult task especially with the typically brass DiMarzio base plate). Really nice finish on that LS 120, too, looks like the Duane Allman "Darkburst" to me.

Hi, you experts!!

Hans-J?rgen , the photo of togs dimarzio is from my LS 120(formerly ??, togs??), so what about that "duane allman sunburst", i have pulled the pups out yesterday, they are both dimarzios, the guitar has a green control plate for the vol-and tone controls and a very fat maple cap (2piece), I will keep them anyway, 'cause they seem to me the original pus! May be , I'll try some Kloppmann's Pafs , (good idea H-J :lol: ),see Test in Gitarre & Bass 2/2005 (sorry, only german language), if i can get some for testing!!

Thanks again you guys, feels good to be in good company :wink:
Hot Rod

Hot Rod said:
Hans-J?rgen , the photo of togs dimarzio is from my LS 120(formerly ??, togs??)
Yes, I know... ;) By the way, here's another good source for current color names and abbreviations from Tokai UK:

http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/custom.htm

Yours would probably be called HDC (Heritage Dark Cherry) now if they mean a burst finish by that, or VS for Vintage Sunburst if not.

i have pulled the pups out yesterday, they are both dimarzios, the guitar has a green control plate for the vol-and tone controls and a very fat maple cap (2piece), I will keep them anyway, 'cause they seem to me the original pus!
Seems like it, as it was the usual combination for the LS 100 at least. I only wondered about the covers, but ochay also has seen them like that, so it may have been a special order by Tokai back then. Nowadays you can buy covered DiMarzio PAFs directly.

May be , I'll try some Kloppmann's Pafs , (good idea H-J :lol: ),see Test in Gitarre & Bass 2/2005 (sorry, only german language), if i can get some for testing!!
Testing them would be nice, but buying them really hurts... ;) Anyhow, DiMarzio PAFs (especially the old ones) are much cheaper and sound very good, too, but I think I have mentioned that before. :roll:

ochay said:
I had a candy apple red LS100 that had original Dimarzio's with covers on them. That's the only one I have seen with covers on the Demarzio's
Yes, this guitar is pictured in the Early Tokai models catalogue (TLS-100S 1957 model on the right side with covers) and also described as having two DiMarzio PAFs.

Bitte lassen Sie mich wissen, wenn Sie bereit sind, zu lassen, gehen von Ihrem paula.
Sure, you'll be the first to know... ;) But I'll buy Schaller Kluson type tuners for her first and use the M6 on my ES 335 copy from Luxor then. It will be interesting if there is a sound difference with the lighter Kluson types.

By the way, where's your posting gone?

I did a little research on my own and finally found the guitar in the 1982 Final Catalogue. The code says LS 120 V OSN: V= Vintage, OS= Old Sunburst, N might be standing for "Nitro" finish as this is the case with my guitar also! I have never come across such a close 59'er clone and even unplugged it is ringing like a bell . :lol:

As to the pickups, the catalogue also states Dimarzio PAFS to be built into this model, older ones have the open coil types.

Will check next week the famous Kloppmann Paf Replicas, he lives nearby ! But the Dimarzios are keepers :wink:

By the way, did you recognize the beautiful LS 60 Reborn on Ebay/UK??

Regards, Hot Rod 8)

Back