Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LS 120 at Ebay
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
togps
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the pic here

http://img221.echo.cx/my.php?image=pict0788large8qi.jpg
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, very interesting! Though to me it looks like someone (probably at the Tokai factory) has soldered the covers onto the originally uncovered PAFs because of the rather crude solder joints (which is a difficult task especially with the typically brass DiMarzio base plate). Really nice finish on that LS 120, too, looks like the Duane Allman "Darkburst" to me.
Hot Rod
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: LS 120 at Ebay Reply with quote

Hi, you experts!!

Hans-J?rgen , the photo of togs dimarzio is from my LS 120(formerly ??, togs??), so what about that "duane allman sunburst", i have pulled the pups out yesterday, they are both dimarzios, the guitar has a green control plate for the vol-and tone controls and a very fat maple cap (2piece), I will keep them anyway, 'cause they seem to me the original pus! May be , I'll try some Kloppmann's Pafs , (good idea H-J ),see Test in Gitarre & Bass 2/2005 (sorry, only german language), if i can get some for testing!!

Thanks again you guys, feels good to be in good company
Hot Rod
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: LS 120 at Ebay Reply with quote

Hot Rod wrote:
Hans-J?rgen , the photo of togs dimarzio is from my LS 120(formerly ??, togs??)

Yes, I know... By the way, here's another good source for current color names and abbreviations from Tokai UK:

http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/custom.htm

Yours would probably be called HDC (Heritage Dark Cherry) now if they mean a burst finish by that, or VS for Vintage Sunburst if not.

Quote:
i have pulled the pups out yesterday, they are both dimarzios, the guitar has a green control plate for the vol-and tone controls and a very fat maple cap (2piece), I will keep them anyway, 'cause they seem to me the original pus!

Seems like it, as it was the usual combination for the LS 100 at least. I only wondered about the covers, but ochay also has seen them like that, so it may have been a special order by Tokai back then. Nowadays you can buy covered DiMarzio PAFs directly.

Quote:
May be , I'll try some Kloppmann's Pafs , (good idea H-J ),see Test in Gitarre & Bass 2/2005 (sorry, only german language), if i can get some for testing!!

Testing them would be nice, but buying them really hurts... Anyhow, DiMarzio PAFs (especially the old ones) are much cheaper and sound very good, too, but I think I have mentioned that before.

ochay wrote:
I had a candy apple red LS100 that had original Dimarzio's with covers on them. That's the only one I have seen with covers on the Demarzio's

Yes, this guitar is pictured in the Early Tokai models catalogue (TLS-100S 1957 model on the right side with covers) and also described as having two DiMarzio PAFs.

Quote:
Bitte lassen Sie mich wissen, wenn Sie bereit sind, zu lassen, gehen von Ihrem paula.

Sure, you'll be the first to know... But I'll buy Schaller Kluson type tuners for her first and use the M6 on my ES 335 copy from Luxor then. It will be interesting if there is a sound difference with the lighter Kluson types.

By the way, where's your posting gone?
Hot Rod
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: LS 120 at Ebay Reply with quote

I did a little research on my own and finally found the guitar in the 1982 Final Catalogue. The code says LS 120 V OSN: V= Vintage, OS= Old Sunburst, N might be standing for "Nitro" finish as this is the case with my guitar also! I have never come across such a close 59'er clone and even unplugged it is ringing like a bell .

As to the pickups, the catalogue also states Dimarzio PAFS to be built into this model, older ones have the open coil types.

Will check next week the famous Kloppmann Paf Replicas, he lives nearby ! But the Dimarzios are keepers

By the way, did you recognize the beautiful LS 60 Reborn on Ebay/UK??

Regards, Hot Rod
Hot Rod
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referring to colour, Gibson's "Desert Burst" comes quite close to that Tokai "Old Sunburst"

Hot Rod
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: LS 120 at Ebay Reply with quote

Hot Rod wrote:
As to the pickups, the catalogue also states Dimarzio PAFS to be built into this model, older ones have the open coil types.

Where did you find that (which page and/or file name from the main site)? The 1982 catalogue that I have downloaded didn't mention the DiMarzios PAFs for the LS 120, or did it? Maybe I'm mixing it up with the 1981 version, hmm...

Quote:
Will check next week the famous Kloppmann Paf Replicas, he lives nearby ! But the Dimarzios are keepers

Could you record a sample with them perhaps?
Hot Rod
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the 1982 Final Catalogue Page 5+6

I'll ask Kloppi to record a short sample if he agrees...

Greeting, Hot Rod
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Rod wrote:
Look at the 1982 Final Catalogue Page 5+6

Right, on page 5 I can at least recognize "PAF" for the LS-120 model, thanks.

Quote:
I'll ask Kloppi to record a short sample if he agrees...

One with the DiMarzio and one with his, please...
Hot Rod
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hans-j?rgen"][quote="Hot Rod"]Look at the 1982 Final Catalogue Page 5+6 [/quote]
Right, on page 5 I can at least recognize "PAF" for the LS-120 model, thanks.

[quote]I'll ask Kloppi to record a short sample if he agrees... [/quote]
One with the DiMarzio and one with his, please... [/quotehttp://www1.gitarrebass.de/quickies/midi.htm]

Hi, just found the link to that pickup test , you can listen to mp3 and you can download them.

Greetings, Hot Rod
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Rod wrote:
http://www1.gitarrebass.de/quickies/midi.htm
Hi, just found the link to that pickup test , you can listen to mp3 and you can download them.

I know that test, but it would be interesting to hear that original old DiMarzio vs. a new Kloppmann in your 1982 LS120, not a new DiMarzio VPAF in a new Gibson Historic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: