Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up a guitar. Properly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuattroSte
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Setting up a guitar. Properly. Reply with quote

OK I am showing my ignorance here again.

When changing the strings on my ES100 I generally give the guitar a good clean. In doing this I take the bridge and tailpiece off and during the cleaning process I inevitably move the position of the hiring and lowering thingies(technical term!)

Generally I restring the guitar and raise the bridge to the point where I am happy with the action and there is no fret buzz. There are no measurements taken during this process and its all guesswork to an extent. Is this what the majority of us do or is there a set height the bridge should be? If so does anybody know where I can get this setup information.

What effect does hiring or lowering the pickups have?

I know I am all questions but maybe we can all learn from the answers.
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up a guitar. Properly. Reply with quote

QuattroSte wrote:
Is this what the majority of us do or is there a set height the bridge should be?

I don't know for the majority, but that's what I do, too. It just has to feel right, and if not, I raise or lower the action a bit.

Quote:

Basically they're just getting louder or softer, i.e. feeding the input of your amp more or less than before. You can use it for balancing the output of a neck vs. a bridge pickup, so they put out the same volume for the treble and bass strings.
ArthurS
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up a guitar. Properly. Reply with quote

hans-j?rgen wrote:
QuattroSte wrote:
Is this what the majority of us do or is there a set height the bridge should be?

I don't know for the majority, but that's what I do, too. It just has to feel right, and if not, I raise or lower the action a bit.

I think it's the only way, really. You might also ant to consider the influence of string height on the tone of the guitar (higher strings tends to equate to a slightly nicer tone, though that hardly helps if it makes the guitar unplayable )

Quote:

Basically they're just getting louder or softer, i.e. feeding the input of your amp more or less than before. You can use it for balancing the output of a neck vs. a bridge pickup, so they put out the same volume for the treble and bass strings.[/quote]Exactly. Or you can slightly 'slant' them (put the treble side of a pickup lower than the bass side for instance) to slightly alter the 'balance' of each pickup.

Anyway, QuattroSte, if you don't already have them I'd highly recommend Dan Erlewine's books "How to make your electric guitar play great" and especially his "Guitar player repair guide". Both are excellent books and will help you for the rest of your playing career
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Dan Erlewine books and videos are really good(I have both).My only concern about them is being difficult to translate to foreign lenguagges and Erlewinepronuntiation is not so clear for me to get all the meanings.
QuattroSte
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers lads. I'll spend some time this weekend playing around with the pickup heights and see what I get. The books sound interesting but I still have fretboard logic to get through vols 1 and 2 so that will take me a while!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: