Aria Pro II LP Vs Greco EG500

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blux

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, as I have searched, bt a real good explanation was not given..

From what I have read, aria made a better copy in the late 70s early 80s. AND the Greco EG500 is an entry level model...

The ones I am looking at:

The greco is in rough shape, its missing some finish on the bottom part of the neck, kind of by the joint, with the usual wear for being a 79.

The Aria is in much better shape, but still has the dings and nicks and scratches from being a 79 as well...

What one would you go for?

maybe the Yamaha E-Z guitar, you know the one with no strings and lights that go on to show you where to put your fingers on the " fretboard " is a better choice for you impatient types.
Just got up and saw the thread, not everyone on the site lives in the same city, county, province, state, prefecture, time zone, country, continent or hemisphere... is there an expiry date on responding?

You wake up on the wrong side of the bed or somthing? :lol:

You should take a chill pill man!

WHOOO SAAAAA WHOOO SAAAAAA

;)

Blux,this is a Tokai related site mainly so you could consider you're in the wrong place.If you have no informative answers maybe you would consider nobody knows a thing about what you're asking :roll:

This is a slow answer forum,sorry.

Yes, you can wait for weeks and get no answers here. This aint Harmony Central.

Which one plays better? If the Aria is an exact copy of the Paul I might go for that one. They came out with a whole mess of different ones after that though; the ones with the slightly incorrect body style, which could alter drastically including woods used.

Basically I think that both guitars at the time of original sale were around the same price range. Which one do you like better?

Yeah sorry guys....

An auction was ending soon....

=(

Thanks for the replies though!!! :oops:

As far as I recall, Aria were not highly rated in 1970?s, and Greco was unknown at the time (as indeed were Tokai). If you wanted a good LP copy in 70?s you bought an Ibanez or Yamaha, unfortunately those two have become quite expensive now (ie vintage examples). If I were buying today, and assuming Gibson LP is too much $$$, then obviously I?d go for an early 80?s Tokai, or Gibson LP Junior (I?m happy with P90?s), just my 2cents of course.

Yep, answers come much faster on HC, only trouble is the answer?s usually complete crap. At least it?s worth the wait here :-? .

Ian.

most of us here are the strong silent type.
I own 3 late 70s Greco strats and they are real nice guitars... the 500 levers are not their best examples...I have a 600 and two 800 series which are the better oones of mine. Aria did make some nice guitars, there have been several good examples on Yahoo Japan recently that I was tempted to bid on but they went too high. Just as with Greco, the higher the series the better the guitar, I`ve seen 450 and 500 series Greco Lesters with pancake bodies.

sneakyjapan said:
I`ve seen 450 and 500 series Greco Lesters with pancake bodies.

No kidding? I've never heard of pancake bodied Grecos.

I own a pancake 77 Gibson Deluxe and like it very much. On the Les Paul Forum there are many pancake enthusiasts. One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess...

I have a pancake EG 550. It's a very strange guitar with a bolt on ebony fretboard neck. It's very heavy but sounds really nice. Not a collectible for sure :lol: .
An amazing mix of deluxe stuff ( ebony fretboard and really nnice perloid inlays) and cheap features ( bolt on neck for a Les Paul). Weird! :D

I'm not a big Les Paul entusiast usually ( I mostly like strat and firebirds). but My EG-800 Greco "super real" goldtop (p-90) is really the best Les Paul I'v ever played on. As much as I can tell Greco can offer real cheap guitars or the top of the top. All my best guitars are some Grecos built between 79 and 82.

I agree with sneakyjapan: Greco Strats from the late 70's are amazing! My Tokai silver star is nice but really can't compete with my spacey sound.

not calling pancakes trash...in fact I don`t own one. It just seems they did this with their lower end models...I can`t see it being any worse than a 2 piece body stuck together side by side...or am I wrong?

I had a '77 EG-800 3 pickups with a pancake body( 3 pieces body a la Norlin Gibsons),you can see when you take plastic plate in the backk off;if you see carefully at the side you'll see the wood,you can see inside pickups selector too(unscrewing back plastic plate).Heavy guitar(about 4,7 kg),nice neck.I'd never buy a Greco below EG-600,not good guitar at all for me.I prefer Tokai and Burny over Greco,I feel them more solid and accurate guitars.

well the 800s were not low end so I`m wrong. I`ve seen 800 series strats made of one piece sen.

luis said:
I prefer Tokai and Burny over Greco,I feel them more solid and accurate guitars.
Hum Luis, I think it's just that you never met the best of Greco 's stuff. :)
As I said, the quality range Of Greco's guitar is very very wide (just like Tokai) so , unlike Burny or Orville, you can't really say from viewing a few guitars that it's representative of the quality of the brand.

At first, Greco wasn't my fave brand AT ALL. But after a few years I really enjoyed that- on the high end models-their copying is very precise and accurate. It really is a reproduction of vintage models. and Greco has copied so many brands and models ( Gretsch, danelectro, ampeg bass, etc...) while the other were only doing a few fender and Gibson models. Their is allways nice surprises, I still discover some new models, years after years.

Well, I ended up getting the greco.

It hasnt been delivered yet, but when it does, I will let you all know how it feels/plays.

I suppose it has to be nicer and better built than my epi LP, but I guess I will see.

The Aria went to high for me, and I am looking for a tobacco sunburst, much like the new slash signature gibson.

Latest posts

Back