Crafter Guitar Factory - New PReSque and 1959 Models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikes Music

Reaction score
Hi,

This is Mike Palermo from Mike's Music.

I am writing because we have brought in some very high end PReSque and 1959 models made in the type of factory that brought you the original Korean Tokai Mahogany body and Mahogany set neck models.

These feature REAL MAHOGANY BODIES, with ONE PIECE MAHOGANY NECKS, just like the original Japanese Tokai Love Rocks. The maple quilt tops are to die for. 5 Star Grade all the way.

Tokai has their guitars made in several factories. The newer Tokai Love Rocks and PReSque models use Alder type wood for the body and 3 pieces of maple for the necks. This has just come to our attention. If you bought a Tokai PReSque or Love Rock model within the last month we will gladly exchange it for the new Crafter models. Although we still sell the Korean Love Rock and PReSque models and adore their looks, these Crafter handcrafted models are much more superior and get a truer "Classic Nashville Tone."

We are selling a limited amount on ebay right now and if you have any questions feel free to call us at the store (905)227-7941 or by email at: [email protected]

You will not be dissapointed.

Thank you for your continued interest in Tokai guitars,
Mike Palermo
Mikes Music Canada

I bought a LR about 2 months ago. How can I tell if I got one with an alder body and 3-piece neck?

JSD and Mike - Can you guys find out from your distributor what serial numbers are affected?

I want to be sure I got what was advertised.

(I've got to say, if it's an alder body, then the thing still sounds pretty good, but still I want to know I got what I paid for.)

I also want to say that this kind of confusion is certainly going to make me a lot less likely to recommend to others that they do this, as I have been. I'm getting a bit annoyed that your Canadian distributor doesn't seem to have much information on the guitars he imports, considering how much is advertised about how he gets them specially spec'd for Canadian importation. I'm starting to wonder whether this is all a crock.

Hi again,

Its Mike from Mikes Music.

I agree with both of your comments. It came to our attention that the newer models with the bone nuts have alder or maple bodies and necks that are 3 piece maple and not solid mahogany as we were told.

Although they do sound good, anything advertised as mahogany is false.

Take your guitar to a local luthier or experienced guitar tech/woodsmith and have him look through the neck finish and preferably inside the electonics cavity. He will definitely know.

As a buyer, it is hard to know up front what we are getting when we order.

We will definitely have each shipment checked out before we purchase as some of the manufacturers and distributers like to cut corners and still charge us full price.

Please feel free to call us anytime with questions or concerns.

Mike Palermo
Mikes Music
(905)227-7941

www.mikesmusiconline.com

Since I'm not expert enough in guitar construction to know whether it's mahogany, alder, or maple it would be nice if the distributor could tell us what serial number ranges were made from what type of wood.

Also, many of the ads stated the necks were 1 pc maple, opposed to 3 pc or mahogany.

How can we get in touch with the Canadian distributor? I think he owes us concrete information given the confusion around advertised specs.

My guitar tech will have to verify.

..It's all part of the Tokai Msytique :D . The models, prices and materials change like the wind. It's no secret that a ton of them recently arrived in Canada and the UK. Look at the new MIK's on ebay. Some have one screw in the truss rod cover, some have 3 . Same with the toggle switch cover . The reason.?....who knows. But I bet if you ask 3 dealers you'll get 3 different answers. This I believe is part of the reason these guitars have never been as popular in the US as they could be. There's no question they're nice guitars, but the marketing is all over the place.

I got a cherry '61 SG and a black Love Rock MIK from eBay recently from a Canadian eBayer (not the two already mentioned) and they both are great guitars. The SG is supposed to be mohogany but could be nato. The Love Rock could be anything since it is black finish. There is no way there is a bone nut on them either.

It's kind of dissapointing that they are not as advertised but at the same time for what I paid I would rather keep them then return them for a refund.

I think I will stick to the Japan models after this.

Back