Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about "vintage" Burny's.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Questions about "vintage" Burny's. Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if you can share some advice on older (early 80's) Burny's. I've been doing some reading and have heard good things about their pickups (VH-1) and chunky "authentic" 50's necks. I've seen a couple that have solid maple tops as well. The only models I've seen are the 80 and 90 series - I'm wondering what you folks think is the cut-off for good quality. As a point of reference I've heard that the Super Real Greco's that are "good" are the 900 series and up. Where would say is that "cut-off" point for Burny's?

Hopefully this will give you an idea of my personal point of reference: I just bought a new Japanese-made Tokai TV Junior which lists for 60,000 Yen. I think it's a pretty good guitar for the price but I would not even consider buying a Les Paul Standard-type guitar that listed for less than 60,000 in today's currency...I know that I would not be happy with it at all. That being said, a guitar that sold for 60,000 yen in 1981 would be leaps and bounds better than the current models thanks to inflation.

I'm rambling now... I'm especially curious about the older Burny LP Standards - what do you think? Also, have you seen an old Burny goldtop? (I haven't yet.)

Take care!

Jim
Napoleon
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a nice Burny on ebay not to long ago. I think it was a 58' Paul style which is my favorite. The seller clamed it was made in the same factory as Tokai Reborn's, any one know if that's true? it was mabe about 1978-79. It looked REALY nice I should'a bought it but the funds weren't their at the time . I think most Burny's are gonna be good, but don't take my word for it 100% . Some one here has to own one though.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned two Burny LC Black Beauties, LC-60 and 80 models and neck profile was more 60's than 50's-thinner than Tokai LS-70(2001).I prefered Tokai,much better to me.Tokai was a little heavier than Burnys but not so much.Binding covering frets in both LCs,no serial number at all.
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'd love to hear other opinions on Burny's, too - post away!

Here's an amusing Steve Jones interview I stumbled across while researching Burny's... http://www.cookandjones.co.uk/steve_interview2002.htm

Take care!

Jim
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned 3 Burny's. The first was a mid-late 80's supergrade which was amazing. Unfortunately it dropped during a gig. The second was a 90's Supergrade that was ^&*(. However, the seller didn't disclose the problem of it having a warped neck, so I don't think I would fault Burny with that. The Burny I have now is a Les Paul Standard with the Fernandes Sustainer. It really rocks. The neck is very comfortable Gibson 50's style. I'd say that if your looking at the older Burny's just look out for the pickups cause while they sound pretty great they are in most cases not wax potted. This leads to tons of microphonic feedback at high volumes.Here's a link to my Burny

http://home.earthlink.net/~joebuchwald/pics/
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe and everyone...

Nice guitar, Joe! I appreciate all the info. I'm looking to pick up an early 80's Standard of some sort, a gold top would be ideal. I am looking for a model with a fairly substantial neck though. I don't want huge but I do want a C-shape contour kinda like my Tokai Jr.

Not having much experience with neck contours, would I be looking for a '58 style as opposed to a '59 or '60?

Thanks!

Jim
toweysan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My twopennoth!
Got a Burny LP custom last summer. Nice price on e-bay (cost as much to get it shipped from Japan as it did to actually buy it!) No complaints about this guitar. I've got an '85 Tokai LP, and they are similar in many ways. Both beautiful guitars, V. impressed with fret edge binding on the Burny, and i think it is also solid mahogany (no maple cap on the body). I know this because it's quite badly scarred on the top. All in all a superb instrument! No idea of the year or model though as there are no serial nos. absolutely no complaints about this guitar, she rocks my world!
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the burnys were made at fugi gen gakki same as the greco's and orville and orville by gibson, I have not seen any burnys with a nitro finish , (unlike greco superreal EGF850, mint collection EG59-70 and above, and all Orville by Gibsons.) apart from that, if the burny has fret edge binding its a good pointer as to the quality of the guitar...but not exclusively so by any means.the VH-1 pickups rock!! but at high vol watch out for banshee squeals!!
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate the info!

Jim
ToneTimes2
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Burny's of various eras that I have played I am unconvinced of any change in quality through the years. Burny was always a bang-for-the-buck guitar to begin with, rarely venturing into the higher end guitars. Their Super Grade models from the 80's may have been nitro finished, I'm not sure. I know that many pro's use them though and feel that they are the truest representation of the older Gibsons.

I myself own a 90's Burny RLC-75 that blows my Gibson Les Paul away.
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the comments guys. I have a late 70's Burny on the way so I'll know for myself soon enough.

You know, since I first posted here (a couple months ago), I've bought two guitars. Before that I hadn't bought a new guitar in 13 years.

Jim
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I got my Burny goldtop this weekend and I'm pretty darn pleased!

Mine was made in 1978 apparently and even has a serial number on the back of the headstock. It weighs slightly less than my '79 LP Deluxe and the neck is quite similar - maybe a little thicker on the Burny, but a different feeling profile. Not a huge neck by any stretch though.

It looks gorgeous but most importantly it sounds fantastic! I believe what I've read about the Burny VH-1 pickups now - excellent PAF-type tone (both pickups measure about 8K DC resistance). I only play at AC/DC-ish levels of gain so I have no problems with microphonics at all.

The bottom line is it's a fantastic sounding instrument which I got shipped from Japan for about $1200CDN less than I could get a brand new Gibson LP Classic here in town. No contest.

Jim
ToneTimes2
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTG bro. Aren't they great? Mine is my #1 axe, and I have several other guitars. I haven't really had any problems with feedback either. I also own a LP Deluxe and those pups are extremely microphonic, although sweet sounding.

Not long after I got my Burny I ran across my Fernandes (parent company of Burny) TE-1N which is their ash 52 tele copy. It's just as good as the Burny, but I like LPs slightly better. If you ever see one check it out.

Fernandes/Burny is my favorite guitar company.
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Napoleon wrote:
I saw a nice Burny on ebay not to long ago. I think it was a 58' Paul style which is my favorite. The seller clamed it was made in the same factory as Tokai Reborn's, any one know if that's true? it was mabe about 1978-79. It looked REALY nice I should'a bought it but the funds weren't their at the time . I think most Burny's are gonna be good, but don't take my word for it 100% . Some one here has to own one though.

Burny guitars have been made in the Tokai factory for a short time so it's possible
In fact, it's not the factory that is so important. Most have the skill to make some nice guitars.Greco were made in Matsumoku for a while, Orville were made in various factories ...

Last edited by 20 century boy on Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suspect Tokai made 78-80 era high quality Fernandes/Burnys (Supergrade).I'm based upon pics observation and it's a deep feel only so I could be wrong.As i told efor I made my choose and kept Tokai but you can choose another you like best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: